Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: problems with rsh
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers problems with rsh Post 71820 by rkap on Monday 16th of May 2005 06:54:41 AM
Old 05-16-2005
problems with rsh

Hello Everybody,

I have a set of four machines. When i try to rsh between them i get errors like 'no route to host' and 'conection refused'. What do i need to do to rectify this problem..... i can ssh between the nodes ok but only if i supply a password.

Here is the output from my screen:

hp64linux20:/home/RKapur>rsh hp64linux21
hp64linux21: Connection refused
hp64linux20:/home/RKapur>rsh hp64linux22
hp64linux22: No route to host
hp64linux20:/home/RKapur>rsh hp64linux23
hp64linux23: No route to host
hp64linux20:/home/RKapur>ssh hp64linux21
Warning: No xauth data; .
hp64linux21:/home/RKapur>rsh hp64linux20
hp64linux20: Connection refused
hp64linux21:/home/RKapur>rsh hp64linux21
hp64linux21: Connection refused
hp64linux21:/home/RKapur>rsh hp64linux22
hp64linux22: No route to host
hp64linux21:/home/RKapur>rsh hp64linux23
hp64linux23: No route to host
hp64linux21:/home/RKapur>

Your help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Rkap

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsh authentication problems

I am using rsh and other R commands to login to a machine. On that target machine, I set up $HOME/.rhosts file with the host/password. I also setup /etc/hosts.equiv fiel with IP address/username. I also made sure that rsh was enabled and that no firewall was running. The /etc/hosts on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: etc
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rsh

Hi, on .rhosts file of server2 I have : server1 user server1 root when I want to issu rsh from server1 to server2 : 1-If I'm root it is OK. 2-if I'm ordinary user I receive permission denied. What is the problem ? What is the solution ? Many thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about rsh

I have two host ( hostA and hostB ) , now hostA can use " rsh -l userB hostB " to rsh to hostB without input the password , it work fine, but if I modify it to " rsh -l userB hostB -n "ls" " , it will pop the message "Permission denied." , could suggest what is wrong ? thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help on rsh

hi friends, i've access to three machines mc1,mc2,mc3,on which i can log in as root. and in order to run a simple command on a remote machine(say remote) on which i cant log in,i use a command as; # rsh remote ls the above runs properly but if i do an ls on following it doesnt work # rsh mc2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mxms755
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rsh

Hi All, I want to execute a command from my Windows machine to Linux machine using RSH only d:> rsh <Linux machine add> -l <user_name> pwd>dir in linux machine users home directory in .rhosts file I entered the windows machine IP address and user name. In linux etc/hosts.equiv file I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

6. AIX

Problems using rsh

Hi, I have a server which I've configured to allow an rsh trust from a csm server. However, of the 3 vlans on the target server, I can only rsh to one of them without being prompted for the password. On lpar1 $ ifconfig -a en2:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m223464
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Problems with rsh command

Hello guys, I have a script in a Linux server, from where I go to 3 Sun servers and run process. Now i have done an upgrade and increase 1 Sun server more, now i need to run the shell in the Linux Server (into the shell is rsh command), but when i try to do ir with the new Sun server, i hace the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
3 Replies

8. AIX

Rsh

How to configure rsh for different users in aix? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
4 Replies

9. Solaris

rsh

How to enable rsh in solaris (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Rsh

Hi, I issue : rsh ****.16.0.151 -l root ls -l /tmp and I receive : connect to address ***.16.0.151: Connection refused Trying krb4 rsh... In hosts file of remote (***.16.0.151) I have : ***.16.0.202 root Can you help me ? Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
0 Replies
rsh(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   rsh(1M)

NAME
rsh, restricted_shell - restricted shell command interpreter SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/rsh [-acefhiknprstuvx] [argument...] DESCRIPTION
rsh is a limiting version of the standard command interpreter sh, used to restrict logins to execution environments whose capabilities are more controlled than those of sh (see sh(1) for complete description and usage). When the shell is invoked, it scans the environment for the value of the environmental variable, SHELL. If it is found and rsh is the file name part of its value, the shell becomes a restricted shell. The actions of rsh are identical to those of sh, except that the following are disallowed: o changing directory (see cd(1)), o setting the value of $PATH, o pecifying path or command names containing /, o redirecting output (> and >>). The restrictions above are enforced after .profile is interpreted. A restricted shell can be invoked in one of the following ways: 1. rsh is the file name part of the last entry in the /etc/passwd file (see passwd(4)); 2. the environment variable SHELL exists and rsh is the file name part of its value; the environment variable SHELL needs to be set in the .login file; 3. the shell is invoked and rsh is the file name part of argument 0; 4. the shell is invoke with the -r option. When a command to be executed is found to be a shell procedure, rsh invokes sh to execute it. Thus, it is possible to provide to the end- user shell procedures that have access to the full power of the standard shell, while imposing a limited menu of commands; this scheme assumes that the end-user does not have write and execute permissions in the same directory. The net effect of these rules is that the writer of the .profile (see profile(4)) has complete control over user actions by performing guaranteed setup actions and leaving the user in an appropriate directory (probably not the login directory). The system administrator often sets up a directory of commands (that is, /usr/rbin) that can be safely invoked by a restricted shell. Some systems also provide a restricted editor, red. EXIT STATUS
Errors detected by the shell, such as syntax errors, cause the shell to return a non-zero exit status. If the shell is being used non- interactively execution of the shell file is abandoned. Otherwise, the shell returns the exit status of the last command executed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
intro(1), cd(1), login(1), rsh(1), sh(1), exec(2), passwd(4), profile(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The restricted shell, /usr/lib/rsh, should not be confused with the remote shell, /usr/bin/rsh, which is documented in rsh(1). SunOS 5.10 1 Nov 1993 rsh(1M)