Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Mount a network computer/drive in unix? Post 70752 by zazzybob on Tuesday 3rd of May 2005 06:13:09 PM
Old 05-03-2005
If you're talking about Unix-Unix, use NFS. If you're talking about Unix-Windows, use Samba (smbclient).

More information as to what you're trying to achieve is required.

Cheers
ZB

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to mount a hotswap scsi drive on a solaris 2.6 netra box using the mount command?

Hi... question is this: How do I mount an LVD hotswap scsi drive in bay #2 on a netra using the mount command? volmgt doesn't seem to mount it and/or I don't know how to view the drives data if it's formatted which it may not be. This drive is not new out of the box so I'm not sure. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: soulshaker
4 Replies

2. IP Networking

I cant network my computer

I have an Octane2 running IRIX 6.4 . The problem is that the machine is not coming on the network . I have put in all the details perfectly , like IP , netmask , name servers , gateway IP , I tried it on a Mac alongside me but On the IRIX it dosent work . I have no idea wats the prob lem .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jai
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Connecting an external SCSI drive to a unix computer

I am interested in booting up my unix computer by connecting an external SCSI drive( intergraph) to it. The unix box is also an intergraph computer. Whenever I boot it, it gives me an error that says Drive not ready, Insert Boot Diskette in A. What am I doing wrong? Any input would be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: teruotor
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get files from other computer on the network

I wan't to connect to another computer on the network and get a file. I know the IP and name of the computer and have access to it. I've tried the ssh in xterm and think i've managed to logon to it. the file is in /tmp/ on the host computer. I'm using KDE (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janbanan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mount a windows drive on unix

Hi, I would like to be able to mount windows xp to a unix system, so that I can pull data from windows machine for backup and store it on the unix server. Does anyone know how I can go about mounting the windows drive in unix. Thanks, Eric (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejbrever
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Mount a Unix share drive on Windows

We are trying to mount a Unix share drive on a Windows 2003 server to avoid transfering files accross the network using sftp. I can see shared drives on the Solaris server using the "share" command. How can I mount the drives on my Windows server so that I can read them directly. Do I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbdenham
2 Replies

7. SCO

Moving hard drive and SCSI adapter to another computer

OK group, it's been 12 years since I worked with SCO. I need some direction here: SCO Openserver 5.07 I have a server with a bad motherboard. I have moved the SCSI adapter and hard drive to another computer. This new server has different hardware so I must install the chipset drivers for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jscholz
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX System V Mount Floppy Drive

I have recently installed UNIX SysV on an old computer to try and expand my general knowledge of computers. I want to install NASM on it so I can begin working on some assembly language, but I am having trouble accessing the floppy disk with the files I need. I've tried running mount /dev/fd0... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrentBANKS
23 Replies

9. IP Networking

I would like to monitor network traffic for a computer on my network

My son does homework on a school laptop. I was thinking about setting up a gateway on my home network, so that I can monitor web traffic and know if he is doing his homework without standing over his shoulder. Ideally I would like to use the Raspberry Pi Model b that I already have. However, I... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
15 Replies
FINDSMB(1)							   User Commands							FINDSMB(1)

NAME
findsmb - list info about machines that respond to SMB name queries on a subnet SYNOPSIS
findsmb [subnet broadcast address] DESCRIPTION
This perl script is part of the samba(7) suite. findsmb is a perl script that prints out several pieces of information about machines on a subnet that respond to SMB name query requests. It uses nmblookup(1) and smbclient(1) to obtain this information. OPTIONS
-r Controls whether findsmb takes bugs in Windows95 into account when trying to find a Netbios name registered of the remote machine. This option is disabled by default because it is specific to Windows 95 and Windows 95 machines only. If set, nmblookup(1) will be called with -B option. subnet broadcast address Without this option, findsmb will probe the subnet of the machine where findsmb(1) is run. This value is passed to nmblookup(1) as part of the -B option. EXAMPLES
The output of findsmb lists the following information for all machines that respond to the initial nmblookup for any name: IP address, NetBIOS name, Workgroup name, operating system, and SMB server version. There will be a '+' in front of the workgroup name for machines that are local master browsers for that workgroup. There will be an '*' in front of the workgroup name for machines that are the domain master browser for that workgroup. Machines that are running Windows for Workgroups, Windows 95 or Windows 98 will not show any information about the operating system or server version. The command with -r option must be run on a system without nmbd(8) running. If nmbd is running on the system, you will only get the IP address and the DNS name of the machine. To get proper responses from Windows 95 and Windows 98 machines, the command must be run as root and with -r option on a machine without nmbd running. For example, running findsmb without -r option set would yield output similar to the following IP ADDR NETBIOS NAME WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION --------------------------------------------------------------------- 192.168.35.10 MINESET-TEST1 [DMVENGR] 192.168.35.55 LINUXBOX *[MYGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.6] 192.168.35.56 HERBNT2 [HERB-NT] 192.168.35.63 GANDALF [MVENGR] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.5a for IRIX] 192.168.35.65 SAUNA [WORKGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 1.9.18p10] 192.168.35.71 FROGSTAR [ENGR] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.0 for IRIX] 192.168.35.78 HERBDHCP1 +[HERB] 192.168.35.88 SCNT2 +[MVENGR] [Windows NT 4.0] [NT LAN Manager 4.0] 192.168.35.93 FROGSTAR-PC [MVENGR] [Windows 5.0] [Windows 2000 LAN Manager] 192.168.35.97 HERBNT1 *[HERB-NT] [Windows NT 4.0] [NT LAN Manager 4.0] VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
nmbd(8), smbclient(1), and nmblookup(1) AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original Samba man pages were written by Karl Auer. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 FINDSMB(1)