Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Canīt issue commands as root Post 70707 by kik_xxx on Tuesday 3rd of May 2005 08:33:38 AM
Old 05-03-2005
Canīt issue commands as root

Hello all,

I am having a problem with a Solaris 8 machine. Since 3 days ago I canīt login as root. I am able to login as a normal user and su. But as soon as I issue any command the system stop responding. If I log again as a normal user I see the process still runnig.

Something I noticed, there are hundreds of process like this running on the machine.
root 22157 315 0 Apr 29 ? 0:00 sh -c /usr/lib/sa/sa1
root 22158 22157 0 Apr 29 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/sa/sadc 1 1 /var/adm/sa/sa29

Anything could help. thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root/admin commands in LINUX

Hi I am working on LINUX shell scripting. I have root privileges and I know some basic root/admin commands like user creation, modification and so on. Till last week i was able to create users but now i am not able to create users or groups. When I give the command i got an error as ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: naina
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Capture of all commands issued by the user “root”

I have to write a script (not C based) that allows to capture of all commands issued by the user “root”. First, I tried to monitor the .bash_history but the commands are written in chunk after the .bash_history is closed. How can I capture the commands in Real-Time without waiting root to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elieifrah@gmail
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

user commands without root access

Hi I have been asked to find out how to 1) create users 2) reset passwords 3) kill processes that may require root privileges without having root password, sudo rights or rights to passwd command Any ideas? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emealogistics
1 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

How do i find all the commands entered by root on any terminal

Can any one help me with a script, which runs in background and mails me all the commands entered by root on any terminal for every hour. We have multiple people having root access on the server and creating a mess,i just wanted to monitor all the activity of the root. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishnu787
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

6. AIX

Tracking Root commands

Hi All How can track what commands are entered by the Root user. Is there a log besides using the history command that lists all commands entered for a period of time. thanks:o (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pashan
6 Replies

7. SuSE

Allow multiple users to run several root commands

I am using SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2 (i586) and I had earlier ammended my sudoers file to allow users to become root user with "sudo su - " command Now I am trying to add multiple users to the sudoers file to run several commands such as restarting the server, restarting the nagios... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to restrict root user from running some commands

is it possible that we can restrict the root user if he runs some commands?? e.g i want if root runs command 'rm etc/passwd', he shoudn't be able to run command and throws error :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheelsadan
3 Replies

9. AIX

track commands run as root after sudo

I'm looking for a way to track commands that are run as root after a user runs sudo su - root. I have a profile set up for root that will track the commands by userid but if we change the shell it only stores it in that shells history file. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: toor13
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run commands as root user

Hello I have a script which is working fine so far to generate HTML file. Now i am wondering how do i include a syntax where it can change itself to root user and execute a specific commands as root user. Please help, Thanks in advance. -Siddhesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
2 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)