Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hiding files in unix/linux
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Hiding files in unix/linux Post 70377 by chuckuykendall on Thursday 28th of April 2005 09:36:52 AM
Old 04-28-2005
Perhaps you can use UNIX ACL's (Access Control List). I'm not sure if it's in any UNIX other than AIX or HP-UX, but others on this board may be able to help there. I normally wouldn't use ACL's, but for such a situation (where you want to hide files, or deny read access to files, for one user) it may be a good solution. ACL's are exception-bases permissions on files and directories that pre-empt normal permissions. On AIX, you can do a man on the commands acledit, aclget, and aclput. On HP-UX, you can do a man on the commands chacl, getacl, lsacl, and setacl.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

I/ps pls for migration of oraboot & orabackup files from Tru64 Unix to Linux 3.0

Hi, I have 2 Files - oraboot and orabackup, which are correct Files in Tru64 Environment and I am trying to check whether the Files are running properly in my current Linux 3.0. (basically trying to migrate them from Tru64 to Linux 3.0). The files are neither Shell nor Perl, and just have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

2. Linux

I/ps pls for migration of oraboot & orabackup files from Tru64 Unix to Linux 3.0

Hi, I have 2 Files - oraboot and orabackup, which are correct Files in Tru64 Environment and I am trying to check whether the Files are running properly in my current Linux 3.0. (basically trying to migrate them from Tru64 to Linux 3.0). The files are neither Shell nor Perl, and just have the... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding migration (from Tru64 Unix to Linux 3.0) of Files :- oraboot and orabackup

Hi, I have 2 Files - oraboot and orabackup, which are correct Files in Tru64 Environment and I am trying to check whether the Files are running properly in my current Linux 3.0. (basically trying to migrate them from Tru64 to Linux 3.0). The files are neither Shell nor Perl, and just have the... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uploading files from Mac to Unix/Linux via ssh

Ok. I am using the Terminal window to ssh into a unix server. I am not sure how to copy a file from my mac onto the unix server. What command do I enter and how do I type the file I want to upload Example. Say my file is named Test1.doc and it is on the usr/me/test/working/ directory and I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: libertyforall
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stress testing php files at Unix/Linux Command line

Hi, Your great help is very appreciated. I am looking for any Unix command or tool for doing Stress/Load test of php files at command prompt. I tried torture.pl but it is not working after20 concurrent threads/users. as it is very urgent for me..please suggest ur ideas asap. thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Malleswari
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert directory of text files to Unix/Linux Line Ending

I need help converting a directory of *.txt with Windows line ending to UTF-8 character encoding and Unix/Linux line ending. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipperuga
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Management application user rights on the files in a Unix / Linux

good evening .. I have a plea, who I can help me with a management application user rights on the files in a Unix / Linux I need for college .. .. and not told us no clue .. thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex90
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create zip/gz/tar files for if the files are older than particular days in UNIX or Linux?

I need a script file for backup (zip or tar or gz) of old log files in our unix server (causing the space problem). Could you please help me to create the zip or gz files for each log files in current directory and sub-directories also? I found one command which is to create gz file for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mallikgm
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password hiding in UNIX

Hi guys, I use STTY command to make the password invisible. Now I need to write the password into another file pwd.txt, but in an invisible manner, something like ******. Another thing is to when I echo the content of pwd.txt I get the password I actually typed. Thanks guys. Help me out. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
5 Replies

10. Programming

Hiding commnd line arguments in ps command on Linux

Hi Unix lovers, I am trying to seek an explanation for a simple looking code - why it works? I found below program which hide command line argument in ps command. #include <string.h> int main(int argc, char **argv) { // process command line arguments.... // hide command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
4 Replies
getacl(1)						      General Commands Manual							 getacl(1)

NAME
getacl - list access control lists (ACLs) for files (JFS File Systems only) SYNOPSIS
file... DESCRIPTION
For each argument that is a regular file, special file, or named pipe, displays the owner, group, and the Access Control List (ACL). For each directory argument, displays the owner, group, and the ACL and/or the default ACL. Only directories contain default ACLs. With the option specified, the filename, owner, group, and the ACL of the file will be displayed. With the option specified, the filename, owner, group, and the default ACL of the file, if it exists, will be displayed. With options not specified, the filename, owner, group, and both the ACL, and the default ACL, if it exists, will be displayed. This command may be executed on a file system that does not support ACLs. It will report the ACL consisting of only the owning user, own- ing group, class and other entries, based on the permission bits. When multiple files are specified on the command line, a blank line will separate the ACL for each file. Options The command recognizes the following options: Displays the filename, owner, group, and the ACL of the specified file. Displays the the filename, owner, group, and the default ACL of the file, if it exists. Operands The command recognizes the following operand: file The file or directory from which retrieves the access control information. ACL Format The format of an ACL is: The first three lines show the filename, the file owner, and the file owning group. Note that when only the option is specified, and the file has no default ACL, only these three lines will be displayed. The entry without a user ID indicates the permissions that will be granted to the owner of the file. One or more additional entries indi- cate the permissions that will be granted to the specified users. The entry without a group identifier indicates the permissions that will be granted to the owning group of the file. One or more additional entries indicate the permissions that will be granted to the specified groups. The entry indicates the permissions that will be granted to others. The entries and may only exist for directories, and indicate the default user, group, and other entries that will be added to a file cre- ated within the directory. The uid is a login name, or a user ID if there is no entry for the uid in the system's password file; gid is a group name, or a group ID if there is no entry for the gid in the system's group file; and perm is a three character string composed of the letters representing the separate discretionary access rights: (read), (write), (execute/search), or the placeholder character The perm will be displayed in the following order: If a permission is not granted by an ACL entry, the placeholder character will appear. The ACL entries will be displayed in the order in which they will be evaluated when an access check is performed. The default ACL entries that may exist on a directory have no effect on access checks. The file owner permission bits represent the access that the owning user ACL entry has. The file group class permission bits represent the most access that any additional user entry, additional group entry, or the owning group entry may grant. The file other permission bits represent the access that the other ACL entry has. If a user invokes the command and changes the file group class permission bits, the access granted by the additional ACL entries may be restricted. In order to indicate that the file group class permission bits restrict an ACL entry, will display, after each affected entry, text in the form , where perm will show only the permissions actually granted. EXAMPLES
Given file with an ACL six entries long, the command would print: Given file with an ACL six entries long, after the command was issued, the command would print: Given directory with an ACL containing default entries, the command would print: Given directory the command would print: NOTICES
The output from will be in the correct format for input to the command. If the output from is redirected to a file, the file may be used as input to In this way, a user may easily assign one file's ACL to another file. FILES
for user IDs for group IDs SEE ALSO
chmod(1), ls(1), setacl(1). acl(2), aclsort(3C). getacl(1)