Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting YYYYMMDD to Julian Post 70333 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 27th of April 2005 03:23:49 PM
Old 04-27-2005
something to start with:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Date manipulation routines - convering to Julian and back
#
# Julian Day Number from calendar date
date2julian() #  year month day
{
  typeset year=$1;  typeset month=$2;  typeset day=$3
  tmpmonth=$((12 * year + month - 3))
  tmpyear=$((tmpmonth / 12))
  print $(( (734 * tmpmonth + 15) / 24 -  2 * tmpyear + \
    tmpyear/4 - tmpyear/100 + tmpyear/400 + day + 1721119 ))
}

# Calendar date from Julian Day Number
julian2date() # julianday
{
  #set -x
  typeset tmpday=$(($1 - 1721119))
  typeset centuries=$(( (4 * tmpday - 1) / 146097))
  tmpday=$((tmpday + centuries - centuries/4))
  typeset year=$(( (4 * tmpday - 1) / 1461))
  tmpday=$((tmpday - (1461 * year) / 4))
  typeset month=$(( (10 * tmpday - 5) / 306))
  day=$((tmpday - (306 * month + 5) / 10))
  month=$((month + 2))
  year=$((year + month/12))
  month=$((month % 12 + 1))
  printf "%s %02d %02d" $year $month $day
}

# Day of week, Monday=1...Sunday=7
dow() # year month day
{
  print $(( $(date2julian $1 $2 $3) % 7 + 1))
}

This User Gave Thanks to vgersh99 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Julian Date

I have a shell script which gets passed a parameter which is a combination of Year and Julian Date <YYYYj>. So April 11th, julian date is 101. So if I wanted April 11th for 2003 I would get the following value 2003101. How would I convert that in unix to be 20030411? I am using the korn shell. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Julian Dates and the Cal command

hey all, I was wondering if it was possible to get the julian date with the cal command. I know that the "-j" option will display it, however, i need the Julian Date of a specific date, in number. For example, the User would enter their age like 19800101 or YYYMMDD, like so. This info... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shan2on
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get yesterdays julian date

Hi, Was using date +%Y%j to get current julian date. Can anyone let me know how can I get y'day's julin date. Thx Did check FAQ but couldn't find anything. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help using find and date (julian)

I'm trying to put together a little script that will move some files to a directory, uncompress the file then delete the file when processing is complete. The files are all named using julian date 2009072.Z 2009071.Z 2009070.Z 2009069.Z 2009068.Z 2009067.Z 2009066.Z 2009065.Z... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1buckeye_fan
8 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to approach Julian date?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: This function is given the day, month and year and returns the Julian date. The Julian date is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgyeah
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

What do this Julian Date Syntax explains about?

I want to know, what exactly this Julian Date Function is all about? #!/usr/bin/ksh #Script That notify the User Expiration in Servers function juliandate { day=$1 month=$2 year=$3 ((standard_jd = day - 32075 + 1461 * (year + 4800 - (14 - month)/12)/4 + 367 * (month -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baraghun
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Date from YYYYMMDD to DD-MON-YYYY

Hi , I need to convert date from YYYYMMDD to DD-MON-YYYY e.g 20111214 to 14-Dec-2011 Please help. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ady_koolz
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting filenames from julian day to yyyy-mm-dd and retrieving weekly mean values

Hi, I need help to convert the filenames of my 9-year daily files (1999-2007) from a julian day to yyyy-mm-dd format. my original files are patterned likes the ones below. 1999001.txt 1999002.txt 1999003.txt 1999004.txt ... 1999365.txt desired output: 19990101.txt 19990102.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in Julian date conversion

All, I am facing an issue with julian date conversion.. current command: echo `date +%Y%j` `cat -n /home/user/FILENAME.dat |awk '{printf "%08s", $2}'` The above command is working good. But in the above bolded part, it is converting system date to julian date. However I want to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmaroju
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Addition to Julian date

Need assistance . Below code gets me julian date . I wanted to add hour/24 to julian date and output it. Is there a way to do the calculation? use Time::Local; use POSIX qw(strftime); my $time=timelocal(1,2,3,9,11,2013); printf strftime "%j", localtime($time); 343 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
3 Replies
platform::shell(3tcl)					       Tcl Bundled Packages					     platform::shell(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(3tcl)