Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting YYYYMMDD to Julian Post 70330 by dfran1972 on Wednesday 27th of April 2005 02:43:35 PM
Old 04-27-2005
Sorry, actually need to TAKE a 3 digit julian and convert it to YYYYMMDD format. Original post was stated incorrectly.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Julian Date

I have a shell script which gets passed a parameter which is a combination of Year and Julian Date <YYYYj>. So April 11th, julian date is 101. So if I wanted April 11th for 2003 I would get the following value 2003101. How would I convert that in unix to be 20030411? I am using the korn shell. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Julian Dates and the Cal command

hey all, I was wondering if it was possible to get the julian date with the cal command. I know that the "-j" option will display it, however, i need the Julian Date of a specific date, in number. For example, the User would enter their age like 19800101 or YYYMMDD, like so. This info... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shan2on
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get yesterdays julian date

Hi, Was using date +%Y%j to get current julian date. Can anyone let me know how can I get y'day's julin date. Thx Did check FAQ but couldn't find anything. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help using find and date (julian)

I'm trying to put together a little script that will move some files to a directory, uncompress the file then delete the file when processing is complete. The files are all named using julian date 2009072.Z 2009071.Z 2009070.Z 2009069.Z 2009068.Z 2009067.Z 2009066.Z 2009065.Z... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1buckeye_fan
8 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to approach Julian date?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: This function is given the day, month and year and returns the Julian date. The Julian date is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgyeah
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

What do this Julian Date Syntax explains about?

I want to know, what exactly this Julian Date Function is all about? #!/usr/bin/ksh #Script That notify the User Expiration in Servers function juliandate { day=$1 month=$2 year=$3 ((standard_jd = day - 32075 + 1461 * (year + 4800 - (14 - month)/12)/4 + 367 * (month -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baraghun
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Date from YYYYMMDD to DD-MON-YYYY

Hi , I need to convert date from YYYYMMDD to DD-MON-YYYY e.g 20111214 to 14-Dec-2011 Please help. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ady_koolz
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting filenames from julian day to yyyy-mm-dd and retrieving weekly mean values

Hi, I need help to convert the filenames of my 9-year daily files (1999-2007) from a julian day to yyyy-mm-dd format. my original files are patterned likes the ones below. 1999001.txt 1999002.txt 1999003.txt 1999004.txt ... 1999365.txt desired output: 19990101.txt 19990102.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in Julian date conversion

All, I am facing an issue with julian date conversion.. current command: echo `date +%Y%j` `cat -n /home/user/FILENAME.dat |awk '{printf "%08s", $2}'` The above command is working good. But in the above bolded part, it is converting system date to julian date. However I want to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmaroju
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Addition to Julian date

Need assistance . Below code gets me julian date . I wanted to add hour/24 to julian date and output it. Is there a way to do the calculation? use Time::Local; use POSIX qw(strftime); my $time=timelocal(1,2,3,9,11,2013); printf strftime "%j", localtime($time); 343 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
3 Replies
STRPTIME(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					       STRPTIME(3)

NAME
strptime -- parse date and time string LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <time.h> char * strptime(const char * restrict buf, const char * restrict format, struct tm * restrict timeptr); #include <time.h> #include <xlocale.h> char * strptime_l(const char * restrict buf, const char * restrict format, struct tm * restrict timeptr, locale_t loc); DESCRIPTION
The strptime() function parses the string in the buffer buf according to the string pointed to by format, and fills in the elements of the structure pointed to by timeptr. The resulting values will be relative to the local time zone. Thus, it can be considered the reverse oper- ation of strftime(3). The strptime_l() function does the same as strptime(), but takes an explicit locale rather than using the current locale. The format string consists of zero or more conversion specifications and ordinary characters. All ordinary characters are matched exactly with the buffer, where white space in the format string will match any amount of white space in the buffer. All conversion specifications are identical to those described in strftime(3). Two-digit year values, including formats %y and %D, are now interpreted as beginning at 1969 per POSIX requirements. Years 69-00 are inter- preted in the 20th century (1969-2000), years 01-68 in the 21st century (2001-2068). The %U and %W format specifiers accept any value within the range 00 to 53. If the format string does not contain enough conversion specifications to completely specify the resulting struct tm, the unspecified members of timeptr are left untouched. For example, if format is ``%H:%M:%S'', only tm_hour, tm_sec and tm_min will be modified. If time relative to today is desired, initialize the timeptr structure with today's date before passing it to strptime(). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, strptime() returns the pointer to the first character in buf that has not been required to satisfy the specified conversions in format. It returns NULL if one of the conversions failed. strptime_l() returns the same values as strptime(). SEE ALSO
date(1), scanf(3), strftime(3) HISTORY
The strptime() function appeared in FreeBSD 3.0. AUTHORS
The strptime() function has been contributed by Powerdog Industries. This man page was written by Jorg Wunsch. BUGS
Both the %e and %l format specifiers may incorrectly scan one too many digits if the intended values comprise only a single digit and that digit is followed immediately by another digit. Both specifiers accept zero-padded values, even though they are both defined as taking unpadded values. The %p format specifier has no effect unless it is parsed after hour-related specifiers. Specifying %l without %p will produce undefined results. Note that 12AM (ante meridiem) is taken as midnight and 12PM (post meridiem) is taken as noon. The %Z format specifier only accepts time zone abbreviations of the local time zone, or the value "GMT". This limitation is because of ambi- guity due to of the over loading of time zone abbreviations. One such example is EST which is both Eastern Standard Time and Eastern Aus- tralia Summer Time. The strptime() function does not correctly handle multibyte characters in the format argument. BSD
October 2, 2014 BSD