Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hiding files in unix/linux
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Hiding files in unix/linux Post 70289 by Perderabo on Wednesday 27th of April 2005 09:49:20 AM
Old 04-27-2005
There is no general way to hide files in unix/linux in the dos sense. But....

1. You can put files in a directory and then "chmod 700 directory". Now only the owner of the directory can see the files. This is the closest thing to a correct answer to the question.

2. If the file name starts with a dot, it is treated specially by the shells and by ls. This is enough to hide files from people who prefer to not see them.

3. Extending on number two, some people try screwball names. Inexperienced users often don't understand how to deal with such files. Names I have seen include naming a file a control character, ".. ", " ", etc.

4. You can put files in a directory and then mount another filesystem on the directory. At this point special tricks are needed to see the files and only root will have the power to employ the tricks.

5. A program can open a file and then unlink it. If that was the only link to the file, the file now has zero names. But it won't be deleted until the last program closes the file. Such a file can be called hidden. This happens a lot. A file system fills and someone finds an offending file. They rm it. Then they wonder why the space wasn't freed. I must see this once a week or so.

And there are few more ways that involve intentional damage to a filesystem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

I/ps pls for migration of oraboot & orabackup files from Tru64 Unix to Linux 3.0

Hi, I have 2 Files - oraboot and orabackup, which are correct Files in Tru64 Environment and I am trying to check whether the Files are running properly in my current Linux 3.0. (basically trying to migrate them from Tru64 to Linux 3.0). The files are neither Shell nor Perl, and just have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

2. Linux

I/ps pls for migration of oraboot & orabackup files from Tru64 Unix to Linux 3.0

Hi, I have 2 Files - oraboot and orabackup, which are correct Files in Tru64 Environment and I am trying to check whether the Files are running properly in my current Linux 3.0. (basically trying to migrate them from Tru64 to Linux 3.0). The files are neither Shell nor Perl, and just have the... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding migration (from Tru64 Unix to Linux 3.0) of Files :- oraboot and orabackup

Hi, I have 2 Files - oraboot and orabackup, which are correct Files in Tru64 Environment and I am trying to check whether the Files are running properly in my current Linux 3.0. (basically trying to migrate them from Tru64 to Linux 3.0). The files are neither Shell nor Perl, and just have the... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uploading files from Mac to Unix/Linux via ssh

Ok. I am using the Terminal window to ssh into a unix server. I am not sure how to copy a file from my mac onto the unix server. What command do I enter and how do I type the file I want to upload Example. Say my file is named Test1.doc and it is on the usr/me/test/working/ directory and I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: libertyforall
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stress testing php files at Unix/Linux Command line

Hi, Your great help is very appreciated. I am looking for any Unix command or tool for doing Stress/Load test of php files at command prompt. I tried torture.pl but it is not working after20 concurrent threads/users. as it is very urgent for me..please suggest ur ideas asap. thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Malleswari
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert directory of text files to Unix/Linux Line Ending

I need help converting a directory of *.txt with Windows line ending to UTF-8 character encoding and Unix/Linux line ending. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipperuga
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Management application user rights on the files in a Unix / Linux

good evening .. I have a plea, who I can help me with a management application user rights on the files in a Unix / Linux I need for college .. .. and not told us no clue .. thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex90
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create zip/gz/tar files for if the files are older than particular days in UNIX or Linux?

I need a script file for backup (zip or tar or gz) of old log files in our unix server (causing the space problem). Could you please help me to create the zip or gz files for each log files in current directory and sub-directories also? I found one command which is to create gz file for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mallikgm
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password hiding in UNIX

Hi guys, I use STTY command to make the password invisible. Now I need to write the password into another file pwd.txt, but in an invisible manner, something like ******. Another thing is to when I echo the content of pwd.txt I get the password I actually typed. Thanks guys. Help me out. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
5 Replies

10. Programming

Hiding commnd line arguments in ps command on Linux

Hi Unix lovers, I am trying to seek an explanation for a simple looking code - why it works? I found below program which hide command line argument in ps command. #include <string.h> int main(int argc, char **argv) { // process command line arguments.... // hide command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
4 Replies
pdebuild-user-mode-linux(1)					     pbuilder					       pdebuild-user-mode-linux(1)

NAME
pdebuild-user-mode-linux - pbuilder-user-mode-linux way of doing debuild SYNOPSIS
pdebuild-user-mode-linux [pdebuild-user-mode-linux options] -- [pbuilder-user-mode-linux options] DESCRIPTION
A convenience program for pbuilder-user-mode-linux which invokes pbuilder after obtaining appropriate root privilege in a Debian source directory. One must be inside the source tree containing the debian directory, in order to make it work. PDEBUILD OPTIONS
--buildsourceroot [fakeroot] The command used to gain root privilege for invoking dpkg-buildpackage --auto-debsign Invoke debsign at the end of pdebuild process. --debsign-k [key-id] Pass -k option to debsign to specify which keyid to sign. --buildresult [Directory for build results] The place which build result is stored. --configfile [Extra config file to use] The configuration file is used, but not passed on to pbuilder-user-mode-linux. --debbuildopts [options to pass to dpkg-buildpackage] The space-delimited list of options are passed to dpkg-buildpackage. This option appends to pbuilder option --debbuildopts and may also be used to reset the list of options by passing the empty string. --use-pdebuild-internal Uses a different implementation of pdebuild, which calls clean and build inside the chroot, using bind-mounts. pdebuild-internal tries to run debian/rules clean inside the chroot. To achieve the goal, the working directory is passed on inside the chroot, in the form of bind-mounting and debuild is run. This option will not protect the working directory and its parent directories from the build scripts. -- [pbuilder options] After the -- symbol, an arbitrary number of pbuilder options can be specified. See pbuilder-user-mode-linux.1 for full list of options. There is an exception that --buildresult needs to be specified as pdebuild option before the -- to be effective. FILES
/etc/pbuilderrc The configuration file for pbuilder-user-mode-linux, used in pdebuild-user-mode-linux. /usr/share/pbuilder/pbuilderrc The default configuration file for pbuilder-user-mode-linux, used in pdebuild-user-mode-linux. ${HOME}/.pbuilderrc Configuration file for pbuilder-user-mode-linux, used in pdebuild-user-mode-linux, overrides what is written in /etc/pbuilderrc AUTHOR
Initial coding, and main maintenance is done by Junichi Uekawa <dancer@debian.org>. The homepage is available at http://pbuilder.alioth.debian.org SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/pbuilder/pbuilder-doc.html, pbuilder-user-mode-linux(1), pbuilderrc(5), pbuilder-uml.conf(5) Debian 2006 May 24 pdebuild-user-mode-linux(1)