Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I specify tab as field separator for sort? Post 70187 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 26th of April 2005 03:22:11 PM
Old 04-26-2005
sorry for the typo!

does this sort by the first field?
sort -t "`/bin/echo '\t'`" -k 1,1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

field separator as regexp

I have some version of AWK that does not support regular expression field separators ( neither do I have nawk or gawk). How do I go about reading a line with the field separator as either the string "=#" or "+=". My data looks like this: abhishek=#nnnnn+#1234+#87 One option is to use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhishek Ghose
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

join - using *only* tab as a field separator

I have files with tabs separating the fields but those fields values can have whitespace characters (basically a text string). I want to instruct join to not consider white spaces as separators but only tabs. I have tried: join -t "<Tab>" file1 file2 join -t "<tab>" file1 file2 join -t "\t"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: FrancoisCN
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Field separator X'1F'

Hi, I have a flat file with fields separated by a X'1F' i have to fetch 4th field from second line. please help me how to achieve it. I tried with below command and its not working. cut -f4 -d`echo -e '\x1f'` filename.txt I am using SunOS. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohan10k
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert comma delimited file to tab separator

Hi all, How can i convert comma delimited .csv file to tab separate using sed command or script. Thanks, Krupa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change field separator only from nth field until NF

Hi ! input: 111|222|333|aaa|bbb|ccc 999|888|777|nnn|kkk 444|666|555|eee|ttt|ooo|ppp With awk, I am trying to change the FS "|" to "; " only from the 4th field until the end (the number of fields vary between records). In order to get: 111|222|333|aaa; bbb; ccc 999|888|777|nnn; kkk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beca123456
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute newline with tab at designated field separator

Hello, I need to replace newline with tab at certain lines of the file (every four lines is a record). infile.fq: @GAIIX-300 ATAGTCAAAT + _SZS^\\\cd @GAIIX-300 CATACGACAT + hhghfdffhh @GAIIX-300 GACGACGTAT + gggfcfoutfile: @GAIIX-300 ATAGTCAAAT + _SZS^\\\cd @GAIIX-300 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to sort the 6th field of tab delimited files?

Here's a sample of the data: NAME BIRTHDAY SEX LOCATION AGE ID Jim 05/11/1986 M Japan 27 86 Rei 08/25/1990 F Korea 24 33 Jane 02/24/1985 F India 29 78 I've been trying to sort files using the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: maihani
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Field separator

Hello All, I have a file, but I want to separate the file at a particular record with comma"," in the line Input file APPLE6SSAMSUNGS5PRICEPERPIECEDOLLAR600EACH010020340URX581949695US to Output file APPLE6S,SAMSUNGS5,PRICEPERPIECE,DOLLAR600EACH,010020340URX581949695,US This is for... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: m6248m
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting a field without disturbing field separator on other fields

Hi All, I have the input as below: cat input 032016002 2.891 97.109 16.605 27.172 24.017 32.207 0.233 0.021 39.810 0.077 0.026 19.644 13.882 0.131 11.646 0.102 11.449 76.265 23.735 16.991 83.009 8.840 91.160 0.020 99.980 52.102 47.898 44.004 55.996 39.963 18.625 0.121 1.126 40.189... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
15 Replies
JOIN(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   JOIN(1)

NAME
join -- relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-a file_number | -v file_number] [-e string] [-o list] [-t char] [-1 field] [-2 field] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The join utility performs an ``equality join'' on the specified files and writes the result to the standard output. The ``join field'' is the field in each file by which the files are compared. The first field in each line is used by default. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 which have identical join fields. Each output line consists of the join field, the remaining fields from file1 and then the remaining fields from file2. The default field separators are tab and space characters. In this case, multiple tabs and spaces count as a single field separator, and leading tabs and spaces are ignored. The default output field separator is a single space character. Many of the options use file and field numbers. Both file numbers and field numbers are 1 based, i.e., the first file on the command line is file number 1 and the first field is field number 1. The following options are available: -a file_number In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. -e string Replace empty output fields with string. -o list The -o option specifies the fields that will be output from each file for each line with matching join fields. Each element of list has the either the form 'file_number.field', where file_number is a file number and field is a field number, or the form '0' (zero), representing the join field. The elements of list must be either comma (',') or whitespace separated. (The latter requires quoting to protect it from the shell, or, a simpler approach is to use multiple -o options.) -t char Use character char as a field delimiter for both input and output. Every occurrence of char in a line is significant. -v file_number Do not display the default output, but display a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. The options -v 1 and -v 2 may be specified at the same time. -1 field Join on the field'th field of file 1. -2 field Join on the field'th field of file 2. When the default field delimiter characters are used, the files to be joined should be ordered in the collating sequence of sort(1), using the -b option, on the fields on which they are to be joined, otherwise join may not report all field matches. When the field delimiter char- acters are specified by the -t option, the collating sequence should be the same as sort(1) without the -b option. If one of the arguments file1 or file2 is ``-'', the standard input is used. EXIT STATUS
The join utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
For compatibility with historic versions of join, the following options are available: -a In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in both file 1 and file 2. -j1 field Join on the field'th field of file 1. -j2 field Join on the field'th field of file 2. -j field Join on the field'th field of both file 1 and file 2. -o list ... Historical implementations of join permitted multiple arguments to the -o option. These arguments were of the form 'file_number.field_number' as described for the current -o option. This has obvious difficulties in the presence of files named '1.2'. These options are available only so historic shell scripts do not require modification. They should not be used in new code. LEGACY DESCRIPTION
The -e option causes a specified string to be substituted into empty fields, even if they are in the middle of a line. In legacy mode, the substitution only takes place at the end of a line. Only documented options are allowed. In legacy mode, some obsolete options are re-written into current options. For more information about legacy mode, see compat(5). SEE ALSO
awk(1), comm(1), paste(1), sort(1), uniq(1), compat(5) STANDARDS
The join command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
July 5, 2004 BSD