Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I specify tab as field separator for sort? Post 70184 by SSteve on Tuesday 26th of April 2005 03:12:52 PM
Old 04-26-2005
Thanks but still no luck. On OS X that still sorts by the entire line. On the HP system, it's rejected as invalid syntax. (I removed the character after the opening double quote since that must be a typo.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

field separator as regexp

I have some version of AWK that does not support regular expression field separators ( neither do I have nawk or gawk). How do I go about reading a line with the field separator as either the string "=#" or "+=". My data looks like this: abhishek=#nnnnn+#1234+#87 One option is to use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhishek Ghose
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

join - using *only* tab as a field separator

I have files with tabs separating the fields but those fields values can have whitespace characters (basically a text string). I want to instruct join to not consider white spaces as separators but only tabs. I have tried: join -t "<Tab>" file1 file2 join -t "<tab>" file1 file2 join -t "\t"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: FrancoisCN
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Field separator X'1F'

Hi, I have a flat file with fields separated by a X'1F' i have to fetch 4th field from second line. please help me how to achieve it. I tried with below command and its not working. cut -f4 -d`echo -e '\x1f'` filename.txt I am using SunOS. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohan10k
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert comma delimited file to tab separator

Hi all, How can i convert comma delimited .csv file to tab separate using sed command or script. Thanks, Krupa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change field separator only from nth field until NF

Hi ! input: 111|222|333|aaa|bbb|ccc 999|888|777|nnn|kkk 444|666|555|eee|ttt|ooo|ppp With awk, I am trying to change the FS "|" to "; " only from the 4th field until the end (the number of fields vary between records). In order to get: 111|222|333|aaa; bbb; ccc 999|888|777|nnn; kkk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beca123456
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute newline with tab at designated field separator

Hello, I need to replace newline with tab at certain lines of the file (every four lines is a record). infile.fq: @GAIIX-300 ATAGTCAAAT + _SZS^\\\cd @GAIIX-300 CATACGACAT + hhghfdffhh @GAIIX-300 GACGACGTAT + gggfcfoutfile: @GAIIX-300 ATAGTCAAAT + _SZS^\\\cd @GAIIX-300 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to sort the 6th field of tab delimited files?

Here's a sample of the data: NAME BIRTHDAY SEX LOCATION AGE ID Jim 05/11/1986 M Japan 27 86 Rei 08/25/1990 F Korea 24 33 Jane 02/24/1985 F India 29 78 I've been trying to sort files using the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: maihani
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Field separator

Hello All, I have a file, but I want to separate the file at a particular record with comma"," in the line Input file APPLE6SSAMSUNGS5PRICEPERPIECEDOLLAR600EACH010020340URX581949695US to Output file APPLE6S,SAMSUNGS5,PRICEPERPIECE,DOLLAR600EACH,010020340URX581949695,US This is for... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: m6248m
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting a field without disturbing field separator on other fields

Hi All, I have the input as below: cat input 032016002 2.891 97.109 16.605 27.172 24.017 32.207 0.233 0.021 39.810 0.077 0.026 19.644 13.882 0.131 11.646 0.102 11.449 76.265 23.735 16.991 83.009 8.840 91.160 0.020 99.980 52.102 47.898 44.004 55.996 39.963 18.625 0.121 1.126 40.189... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
15 Replies
GENCAT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 GENCAT(1)

NAME
gencat -- generates a Native Language Support (NLS) message catalog file SYNOPSIS
gencat catfile [msgfile|- ...] DESCRIPTION
The gencat utility generates a formatted message catalog catfile from stdin or one or more message source text files msgfile. The file catfile is created if it does not already exist. If catfile does exist, its messages are included in the new catfile. The new message text defined in msgfile replaces the old message text currently in catfile when the set and message numbers match. The generated message catalog contains message strings that will be retrieved using the catgets(3) library call. These messages are dynami- cally loaded by the Native Language Support (NLS) library at run time. Error messages are grouped into sets, and a program can load a par- ticular set depending on which type, or language, of messages is desired. Message Text Source File Format The message text source files are text files in the format described below. Note that the fields of a message text source line are separated by space or tab characters. $set n comment Determines the set identifier to be used for all subsequent messages until the next $set or end-of-file. The n is the set identifier which is defined as a number in the range [1, NL_SETMAX]. Set identifiers within a single source file need not be contiguous. Any string following the set identifier is treated as a comment. If no $set directive is specified in a message text source file, all mes- sages will be located in the default message set NL_SETD. $delset n comment Removes message set n from the catalog. The n is a set identifier in the range [1, NL_SETMAX]. If a message set was created earlier in the current file, or in a file previously read by the gencat command, this directive will remove it. Any string following the set iden- tifier is treated as a comment. $ comment A line beginning with $ followed by a space or tab character is treated as a comment. m message-text A message line consists of a message identifier m in the range [1, NL_MSGMAX] and the message-text. The message-text is read until the end of the line or a quote character (if one is specified). The message-text is stored in the message catalog with the set identifier specified by the last $set directive, and the message identifier m. If the message-text is empty and there is a space or tab character following the message identifier, an empty string is stored in the message catalog. If no message-text is provided, and if there is no space or tab character following the message identifier, the message with the message identifier m in the current set is removed from the catalog. Message identifiers need not be contiguous within a single set. The length of message-text must be in the range [0, NL_TEXTMAX]. $quote c Sets an optional quote character to be used around the message-text. The quote character c may be any character other than white space. If this is specified, then messages must begin and end with the quote character. This is useful when messages must contain leading white space. By default no quote character is used. If an empty $quote directive is specified, then the current quote character is unset. Empty lines and leading blanks in a message text source file are ignored. Any line beginning with any character other than those described above is ignored as a syntax error. Text message strings may contain any characters and the following special characters and escape sequences. Description Symbol Sequence newline NL(LF) horizontal tab HT vertical tab VT v backspace BS  carriage return CR form feed FF f backslash \ bit pattern ddd ddd A bit pattern, ddd, consists of a backslash followed by one, two, or three octal digits representing the value of the character. The cur- rent quote character, if defined, may be escaped with a backslash to generate the quote character. Any character following the backslash ('') other than those specified is ignored. A backslash at the end of the line continues the message onto the next line. The following two lines are an example of such a message: 1 This message continues on the next line Producing the following message: 1 This message continues on the next line EXIT STATUS
The gencat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
catclose(3), catgets(3), catopen(3), nls(7) AUTHORS
The Native Language Support (NLS) message catalog facility was contributed by J.T. Conklin <jtc@NetBSD.org>. This page was originally writ- ten by Kee Hinckley <nazgul@somewhere.com>. BSD
December 29, 2011 BSD