Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How do you logout from a session? Post 70050 by sanitywonko on Monday 25th of April 2005 01:11:17 PM
Old 04-25-2005
i am having the same problem in regards to exiting UNIX via a menu using the ksh. I want the menu option to log the user out, however the logout command has to be run from the command prompt and wont work from within the script. If u find an answer, I too am in need of it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sqlplus session being able to see unix variables session within a script

Hi there. How do I make the DB connection see the parameter variables passed to the unix script ? The code snippet below isn't working properly. sqlplus << EOF user1@db1/pass1 BEGIN PACKAGE1.perform_updates($1,$2,$3); END; EOF Thanks in advance, Abrahao. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hiding Directories on a Session by Session basis

Hi, Apologies if anyone has read my recent post on the same subject in the Linux forum, just thought actually the solution might more likely come from scripting. Essentially, I am trying to restrict access to directories based on the user's name AND their location on a session-by-session... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: en7smb
3 Replies

3. Solaris

I am not able to login in gnome session and java session in Sun solaris 9& 10

I am not able to login in gnome session and java session in Sun solaris 9& 10 respectively through xmanager as a nis user, I am able to login in common desktop , but gnome session its not allowing , when I have given login credentials, its coming back to login screen, what shoul I do to allow nis... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

session logout

hi, im executing one script i,e sh test.sh i want to log out the sessing after script execution. and i do't want to user command like this. sh test.sh ; exit can i exit the session with the use of script pl help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arvindng
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

ssh session getting hung (smilar to hpux telnet session is getting hung after about 15 minutes)

Our network administrators implemented some sort of check to kill idle sessions and now burden is on us to run some sort of keep alive. Client based keep alive doesn't do a very good job. I have same issue with ssh. Does solution 2 provided above apply for ssh sessions also? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoda9691
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determining if session is a login session

Besides 'who am i' and 'tty' what commands could be used to determine if a session is interactive as compared to a web process or cron process. Any command should work with the common unix variants. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Difference between the desktop session and console session

what is the difference between desktop session and console session in solaris as i am wondering we use option -text for the former and -nowin for the later (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kishanreddy
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Session logout

hi, i want to make a session logout in c++/unix which will redirect the user to the login page if the user is idle for 5mins (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anubhav sharma
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Login and logout time of a session

Hi, How can I find out the login and logout time of the old UNIX session/user?. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
2 Replies
SystemStarter(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  SystemStarter(8)

NAME
SystemStarter -- Start, stop, and restart system services SYNOPSIS
SystemStarter [-gvxdDqn] [action [service]] DESCRIPTION
The SystemStarter utility may be used to start, stop, and restart the system services which are described in the /Library/StartupItems/ and /System/Library/StartupItems/ paths. The optional action argument specifies which action SystemStarter performs on the startup items. The optional service argument specifies which startup items to perform the action on. If no service is specified, all startup items will be acted on; otherwise, only the item pro- viding the service, any items it requires, or any items that depend on it will be acted on. During boot SystemStarter is invoked by rc (see rc(8)) and is responsible for starting all startup items in an order that satisfies each item's requirements. ACTIONS
start start all items, or start the item that provides the specified service and all items providing services it requires. stop stop all items, or stop the item that provides the specified service and all items that depend on it. restart restart all items, or restart the item providing the specified service. OPTIONS
-g graphical startup -v verbose (text mode) startup -x safe mode startup (only run Apple-provided items) -r keep running after last startup item completes, in graphical startup only -d print debugging output -D print debugging output and dependencies -q be quiet (disable debugging output) -n don't actually perform action on items (no-run mode) NOTES
Unless an explicit call to ConsoleMessage is made, SystemStarter examines the exit status of the startup item scripts to determine the suc- cess or failure of the services provided by that script. In Darwin it is preferable to create custom startup items than to modify rc, and at some point SystemStarter may entirely encompass the role of rc. FILES
/Library/StartupItems/ User-installed startup items. /System/Library/StartupItems/ System-provided startup items. SEE ALSO
ConsoleMessage(8) rc(8) http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/documentation/howto/html/SystemStarter_HOWTO.html HISTORY
The SystemStarter utility appeared in Darwin 1.0 SystemStarter was extended in Darwin 6.0 to support partial startup and interprocess communication. Darwin April 12, 2002 Darwin