Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I delete a symbolic link? Post 69916 by blowtorch on Thursday 21st of April 2005 02:12:17 PM
Old 04-21-2005
Quote:
Hmm...thats a roundabout way. Why not just use rm? Especially if the unlink man page tells you to use rm.
I will put it in a simpler manner. All links are files (including links to directories). Just use rm to delete any link - it will not affect the target file/directory.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar the symbolic link

Hi Experts!! Can anyone help me out to know how can we tar the symbolic links. I would need to find the symbolic links present in the directory and then tar them out. I can find the links by find . -type l, but i need to know how to tar the symboilc link. Any help would be much appreciated.. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link

Hi, i am trying to create sym links on sles 11 , but it seems i am doing something wrong. oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> pwd /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ln -s /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are the contents of a symbolic link?

Hiii... I wanna know "What are the contents of a symbolic link?"....... From google I dint get a good answer....that's why I posts here...... Thanking you. Krishna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

7. Solaris

issue with Symbolic link

Hi All, I have to set a soft link to a directory, e.g. it’s done, however I want it make it permanent and in case if any program is pointing to /cms/cmsuat/server/cmu/contribution it should go to /cms/cmsUAT/server/cmu/Contribution. Need your help! Thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
LN(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     LN(1)

NAME
link, ln -- make links SYNOPSIS
ln [-Ffhinsv] source_file [target_file] ln [-Ffhinsv] source_file ... target_dir link source_file target_file DESCRIPTION
The ln utility creates a new directory entry (linked file) which has the same modes as the original file. It is useful for maintaining mul- tiple copies of a file in many places at once without using up storage for the ``copies''; instead, a link ``points'' to the original copy. There are two types of links; hard links and symbolic links. How a link ``points'' to a file is one of the differences between a hard and symbolic link. The options are as follows: -F If the target file already exists and is a directory, then remove it so that the link may occur. The -F option should be used with either -f or -i options. If none is specified, -f is implied. The -F option is a no-op unless -s option is specified. -h If the target_file or target_dir is a symbolic link, do not follow it. This is most useful with the -f option, to replace a symlink which may point to a directory. -f If the target file already exists, then unlink it so that the link may occur. (The -f option overrides any previous -i options.) -i Cause ln to write a prompt to standard error if the target file exists. If the response from the standard input begins with the char- acter 'y' or 'Y', then unlink the target file so that the link may occur. Otherwise, do not attempt the link. (The -i option over- rides any previous -f options.) -n Same as -h, for compatibility with other ln implementations. -s Create a symbolic link. -v Cause ln to be verbose, showing files as they are processed. By default, ln makes hard links. A hard link to a file is indistinguishable from the original directory entry; any changes to a file are effectively independent of the name used to reference the file. Hard links may not normally refer to directories and may not span file sys- tems. A symbolic link contains the name of the file to which it is linked. The referenced file is used when an open(2) operation is performed on the link. A stat(2) on a symbolic link will return the linked-to file; an lstat(2) must be done to obtain information about the link. The readlink(2) call may be used to read the contents of a symbolic link. Symbolic links may span file systems and may refer to directories. Given one or two arguments, ln creates a link to an existing file source_file. If target_file is given, the link has that name; target_file may also be a directory in which to place the link; otherwise it is placed in the current directory. If only the directory is specified, the link will be made to the last component of source_file. Given more than two arguments, ln makes links in target_dir to all the named source files. The links made will have the same name as the files being linked to. When the utility is called as link, exactly two arguments must be supplied, neither of which may specify a directory. No options may be sup- plied in this simple mode of operation, which performs a link(2) operation using the two passed arguments. COMPATIBILITY
The -h, -i, -n and -v options are non-standard and their use in scripts is not recommended. They are provided solely for compatibility with other ln implementations. The -F option is FreeBSD extention and should not be used in portable scripts. SEE ALSO
link(2), lstat(2), readlink(2), stat(2), symlink(2), symlink(7) STANDARDS
The ln utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The simplified link command conforms to Version 2 of the Single UNIX Specification (``SUSv2''). HISTORY
An ln command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
February 14, 2006 BSD