Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I delete a symbolic link? Post 69804 by sssow on Wednesday 20th of April 2005 10:45:31 AM
Old 04-20-2005
use unlink

look at man pages of unlink

While linked files and directories can be removed using
unlink, it is safer to use rm(1) and rmdir(1) instead. See
rm(1) and rmdir(1).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar the symbolic link

Hi Experts!! Can anyone help me out to know how can we tar the symbolic links. I would need to find the symbolic links present in the directory and then tar them out. I can find the links by find . -type l, but i need to know how to tar the symboilc link. Any help would be much appreciated.. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link

Hi, i am trying to create sym links on sles 11 , but it seems i am doing something wrong. oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> pwd /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ln -s /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are the contents of a symbolic link?

Hiii... I wanna know "What are the contents of a symbolic link?"....... From google I dint get a good answer....that's why I posts here...... Thanking you. Krishna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

7. Solaris

issue with Symbolic link

Hi All, I have to set a soft link to a directory, e.g. it’s done, however I want it make it permanent and in case if any program is pointing to /cms/cmsuat/server/cmu/contribution it should go to /cms/cmsUAT/server/cmu/Contribution. Need your help! Thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
symlink(2)							System Calls Manual							symlink(2)

Name
       symlink - make symbolic link to a file

Syntax
       symlink(name1, name2)
       char *name1, *name2;

Description
       A  symbolic link name2 is created to name1 (name2 is the name of the file created, name1 is the string used in creating the symbolic link).
       Either name can be an arbitrary path name.  The files need not be on the same file system.

Return Values
       Upon successful completion, a zero (0) value is returned.  If an error occurs, the error code is  stored  in  errno,  and  a  -1  value	is
       returned.

Diagnostics
       The symbolic link is made, unless one or more of the following are true:

[ENOTDIR]      A component of the name2 prefix is not a directory.

[EEXIST]       The name2 already exists.

[EACCES]       A component of the name2 path prefix denies search permission.

[EROFS]	      The file name2 would reside on a read-only file system.

[EFAULT]       The name1 or name2 points outside the process's allocated address space.

[ELOOP]	      Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname.

[ENAMETOOLONG] A  component of either pathname exceeded MAXNAMELEN characters, or the entire length of either pathname exceeded MAXPATHNAME
		      characters.

[ENOENT]       The named file does not exist.

[EIO]	      An I/O error occurred while making the directory entry for name2, or allocating the inode for name2, or writing out the link
		      contents of name2.

[ENOSPC]       The  directory  in  which  the entry for the new symbolic link is being placed cannot be extended, because there is no space
		      left on the file system containing the directory.

[ENOSPC]       The new symbolic link cannot be created, because there is no space left on the file system that will  contain  the  symbolic
		      link.

[ENOSPC]       There are no free inodes on the file system on which the symbolic link is being created.

[EDQUOT]       The  directory  in  which the entry for the new symbolic link is being placed cannot be extended because the user's quota of
		      disk blocks on the file system containing the directory has been exhausted.

[EDQUOT]       The new symbolic link cannot be created because the user's quota of disk blocks on the file system  that	will  contain  the
		      symbolic link has been exhausted.

[EDQUOT]       The user's quota of inodes on the file system on which the user's symbolic link is being created has been exhausted.

[EIO]	      An I/O error occurred while making the directory entry or allocating the inode.

[ETIMEDOUT]    A  connect  request  or remote file operation failed, because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of
		      time that is dependent on the communications protocol.

See Also
       ln(1), link(2), readlink(2), stat(2), unlink(2)

symlink(2)