Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Run shell script as different user Post 69764 by mskarica on Tuesday 19th of April 2005 10:18:00 PM
Old 04-19-2005
I am running on SUN/OS. I have not tried what you mentioned, really not sure how to do it. When I said that the when the script is run with "daemon" being the owner, daemon is the root.

So lets say I send an email with an attachment, and the script is invoked. The file is decoded and and saved to the current directory, then I try to submit it to the repository. Lets say I log on to the unix account to which the email was sent to, if I look at the file (ls -l), I'm not the owner of the file, the owner of the file is daemon, which is the root and is considered "other". I'm almost certain that this is what is causing the ci and co operations to fail.

So.......I need to figure out how to get the script to be invoked, and run as if the owner of the process is another account, even just my account, anything other than "daemon"!

I know when you do chmod there are 3 numbers like chmod 755. You said chmod 4550.....what is the 0 for?

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by mskarica; 04-20-2005 at 12:27 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have script run as a different user

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the Linux world. I have a script that needs to run under "UserB". But I don't want to give out the password to UserB. Is there a way to setup the script to run as "UserB" when UserA runs it. Thanks in advance for your assistance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mikey20
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script run by user or cron job ?

My shell script runs fine both as a cron job and when i issue it. However, I wish to differentiate when it runs as a cron-job so the "echo" statements are not issued (they get mailed to me, which i don't want). I tried checking $USER but since the cron was created in my user that does not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentinel
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run script? call other script? su to another user? make a cron?

Good morning. I am searching for "how-to"'s for some particular questions: 1. How to write a script in HP-UX 11. 2. How to schedule a script. 3. How to "call" scripts from the original script. 4. How to su to another user from within a script. This is the basics of what the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: instant000
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can root user run chmod 000 permission shell script?

Hi, I have a shell script file which is set to access permission 000. When I login as root (sudo su) and try to run this script, I am getting the Permission denied error. I have read somewhere that root admin user can execute any kind of permission script. Then why this behavior? However, I can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Forcing another user to run a shell script (su)

I'm trying to use su (as myuser) to force another user (theuser) to run a shell script (thescript.sh): su theuser -c /home/theuser/thescript.sh However I'm running this from another script, and it is asking for theuser's password. I would rather avoid displaying it in the file (using echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asdfgg
2 Replies

6. AIX

AIX How to run a Shell Script by changing the User

Hi All, Currently our application is running on the server having AIX 5.3 OS. What we intend to do is to run a shell script owned by another user and needs to be run as that particular user. I was trying to create a shell script using the su command before running the actual script (which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acoomer
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best way to run a shell with different user

Hi , we got autosys for scheduling our jobs. Autosys user logs in to the Linux box and need to execute a shell script. problem here is user requires admin privileges on database to complete the task. Since scheduling is maintained by different team I don't want autosys user to have admin privileges... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rush143
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Run commans as no login shell user

Hi All, I have problem running a command with another user who has no login shell the os is solaris 10 i am root and doing the following: su user -s /bin/bash "ls" no output .. no error messages if su - user i got No directory Please use CODE tags as required by forum... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BF_DEV
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adfpqr] [-c command] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Option: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c command Run the named command instead of the shell. Useful for capturing the output of a program that behaves differently when associated with a tty. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, don't sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -f Flush output after each write. This is useful for watching the script output in real time. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Be quiet, and don't output started and ended lines. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is used by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. BSD
October 17, 2009 BSD