Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Run shell script as different user Post 69573 by mskarica on Saturday 16th of April 2005 02:24:26 AM
Old 04-16-2005
Run shell script as different user

I want to start off by saying thanks to everyone here, you're answers and suggestions are always very helpful.

I have a shell script which is invoked when an email is received. This shell script extracts any attachments that are sent with this email, and then runs a script which submits these files to a repository. The problem is that when the script is envoked, "daemon" is the owner of the files that are created, so the ci and co functions will not work properly. I'm trying to find a way where I can change the owner of the process when the script is envoked.

For example, when the script is envoked, the owner is "daemon", but I need to change the owner to "myUserName", so that when the files are created and the other scripts/commands are called, the system will think that "myUserName" is the person running all of the commands/scripts.

Is this at all possible?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have script run as a different user

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the Linux world. I have a script that needs to run under "UserB". But I don't want to give out the password to UserB. Is there a way to setup the script to run as "UserB" when UserA runs it. Thanks in advance for your assistance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mikey20
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script run by user or cron job ?

My shell script runs fine both as a cron job and when i issue it. However, I wish to differentiate when it runs as a cron-job so the "echo" statements are not issued (they get mailed to me, which i don't want). I tried checking $USER but since the cron was created in my user that does not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentinel
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run script? call other script? su to another user? make a cron?

Good morning. I am searching for "how-to"'s for some particular questions: 1. How to write a script in HP-UX 11. 2. How to schedule a script. 3. How to "call" scripts from the original script. 4. How to su to another user from within a script. This is the basics of what the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: instant000
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can root user run chmod 000 permission shell script?

Hi, I have a shell script file which is set to access permission 000. When I login as root (sudo su) and try to run this script, I am getting the Permission denied error. I have read somewhere that root admin user can execute any kind of permission script. Then why this behavior? However, I can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Forcing another user to run a shell script (su)

I'm trying to use su (as myuser) to force another user (theuser) to run a shell script (thescript.sh): su theuser -c /home/theuser/thescript.sh However I'm running this from another script, and it is asking for theuser's password. I would rather avoid displaying it in the file (using echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asdfgg
2 Replies

6. AIX

AIX How to run a Shell Script by changing the User

Hi All, Currently our application is running on the server having AIX 5.3 OS. What we intend to do is to run a shell script owned by another user and needs to be run as that particular user. I was trying to create a shell script using the su command before running the actual script (which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acoomer
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best way to run a shell with different user

Hi , we got autosys for scheduling our jobs. Autosys user logs in to the Linux box and need to execute a shell script. problem here is user requires admin privileges on database to complete the task. Since scheduling is maintained by different team I don't want autosys user to have admin privileges... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rush143
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Run commans as no login shell user

Hi All, I have problem running a command with another user who has no login shell the os is solaris 10 i am root and doing the following: su user -s /bin/bash "ls" no output .. no error messages if su - user i got No directory Please use CODE tags as required by forum... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BF_DEV
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies
SCRIPT-EMAIL(8) 					  System Administration Commands					   SCRIPT-EMAIL(8)

NAME
script-email - Amanda script to send email notifications DESCRIPTION
script-email is an Amanda script implementing the Script API. It should not be run by users directly. It sends a notification email to the addresses specified in the MAILTO property. PROPERTIES
This section lists the properties that control script-email's functionality. See amanda-scripts(7) for information on the Script API, script configuration. MAILTO List of email addresses that will receive an email on command execution. It is a multi-valued property: property "MAILTO" "amanda@domain.com" "sysadmin@domain.com" "amandauser@domain.com" EXAMPLE
In this example, script-email is scheduled to be run before the DLE, on the server. The unqualified email address amanda will be passed to the email system unchanged. The script is then attached to a dumptype, which can then be specified for any DLEs which require notification. define script-tool pre-email { comment "email me before this DLE is backed up" plugin "script-email" execute-on pre-dle-backup execute-where server property "mailto" "amanda" } define dumptype user-tar-email { user-tar script "pre-email" } SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda.conf(5), amanda-client.conf(5), amanda-scripts(7) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.3 01/10/2013 SCRIPT-EMAIL(8)