Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Turn off firewall in RH8.0
Operating Systems Linux Turn off firewall in RH8.0 Post 68449 by kymberm on Monday 4th of April 2005 01:33:37 PM
Old 04-04-2005
Turn off firewall in RH8.0

I'm attempting to turn off the firewall (yes, we are in a secure network, as much as that means nowadays), not open to the internet, however, I can't get the firewall to turn off, it won't allow users to ftp to it, or use a terminal emulator to log in, or telnet. And whenever I try to disable the firewall Lokkit it always resets itself to high. Is there someone command line that I can do this? I miss linuxconf, seemed easier to configure the networking using that than this.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mount from unix(3.2. v5.0.5) to Linux rh8

mount -f NFS 128.1.80.1:/usr /mnt (: RPC: Program not registered) don't work :( please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RoMaGo
1 Replies

2. SuSE

RH8.0 firewall WILL NOT turn off

I have been trying to disable the firewall on a new install of RH8(Psyche). It will NOT stay disabled. I've gone thru system tools, security level and disabled it, and it says YES, like it will save my settings, but when i open it up again, it is always back to HIGH. I also tried using the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to turn off duplex

I am using digital Unix and lpd. I have HP 4200n LaserJet TCP printer, but when I use lpr command, it always print duplex. I can turn off duplex feature at the panel of the printer, but then other Windows computer cannot print duplex. How can I set up /etc/printcap file so that it will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiepng
2 Replies

4. Linux

RH8 samba won't let users in

when I type smbclient \\\\MYSERVER\\someuser at the prompt, it asks me to log in with the password for that user, and when I put it in, it says NT_USER_LOGIN_FAILURE eveyrtime, while at the linux terminal. When I try to access the server from my windows xp machine it shows up in the workgroup, but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

turn off sound

how to disable anoying beep sound??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnn
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

reading an AIX cpio tape on RH8

Thanks for any insights you might have... I have a RH8 system setup with a DAT drive. I have a AIX tape that was made using cpio. Bottom line is I need to read the AIX tape into the RH box. I was able to do cpio -itv --no-absolute-filenames < /dev/st0 and read the table of contents. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike114327
0 Replies

7. Solaris

how to turn on or off FIREWALL in solaris 10

hi, i am an oracle DBA and having problems with the starting of enterprise manager on solaris. one of solution is to check whether firewall is on or off so i am new bie in solaris so kindly tell me how to check the firewall in solaris 10 and how to stop it and what are effects of such... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janakors
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Just can't turn off ipv6?

I'm running a Linux OS that uses Debian as it's base. A commercial vpn is installed that uses OpenVPN. For some reason, I can't get ipv6 to tunnel properly .... and Ipleak.net shows that my location is being unmasked by ipv6. I've tried kernel commands at boot, I've tried sysctl.conf commands.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: benc
2 Replies
Net::Config(3perl)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					Net::Config(3perl)

NAME
Net::Config - Local configuration data for libnet SYNOPSYS
use Net::Config qw(%NetConfig); DESCRIPTION
"Net::Config" holds configuration data for the modules in the libnet distribution. During installation you will be asked for these values. The configuration data is held globally in "/etc/perl/Net/libnet.cfg", but a user may override any of these values by providing their own. This can be done by having a ".libnetrc" file in their home directory. This file should return a reference to a HASH containing the keys described below. For example # .libnetrc { nntp_hosts => [ "my_preferred_host" ], ph_hosts => [ "my_ph_server" ], } __END__ METHODS
"Net::Config" defines the following methods. They are methods as they are invoked as class methods. This is because "Net::Config" inherits from "Net::LocalCfg" so you can override these methods if you want. requires_firewall HOST Attempts to determine if a given host is outside your firewall. Possible return values are. -1 Cannot lookup hostname 0 Host is inside firewall (or there is no ftp_firewall entry) 1 Host is outside the firewall This is done by using hostname lookup and the "local_netmask" entry in the configuration data. NetConfig VALUES nntp_hosts snpp_hosts pop3_hosts smtp_hosts ph_hosts daytime_hosts time_hosts Each is a reference to an array of hostnames (in order of preference), which should be used for the given protocol inet_domain Your internet domain name ftp_firewall If you have an FTP proxy firewall (NOT an HTTP or SOCKS firewall) then this value should be set to the firewall hostname. If your firewall does not listen to port 21, then this value should be set to "hostname:port" (eg "hostname:99") ftp_firewall_type There are many different ftp firewall products available. But unfortunately there is no standard for how to traverse a firewall. The list below shows the sequence of commands that Net::FTP will use user Username for remote host pass Password for remote host fwuser Username for firewall fwpass Password for firewall remote.host The hostname of the remote ftp server 0 There is no firewall 1 USER user@remote.host PASS pass 2 USER fwuser PASS fwpass USER user@remote.host PASS pass 3 USER fwuser PASS fwpass SITE remote.site USER user PASS pass 4 USER fwuser PASS fwpass OPEN remote.site USER user PASS pass 5 USER user@fwuser@remote.site PASS pass@fwpass 6 USER fwuser@remote.site PASS fwpass USER user PASS pass 7 USER user@remote.host PASS pass AUTH fwuser RESP fwpass ftp_ext_passive ftp_int_passive FTP servers can work in passive or active mode. Active mode is when you want to transfer data you have to tell the server the address and port to connect to. Passive mode is when the server provide the address and port and you establish the connection. With some firewalls active mode does not work as the server cannot connect to your machine (because you are behind a firewall) and the firewall does not re-write the command. In this case you should set "ftp_ext_passive" to a true value. Some servers are configured to only work in passive mode. If you have one of these you can force "Net::FTP" to always transfer in passive mode; when not going via a firewall, by setting "ftp_int_passive" to a true value. local_netmask A reference to a list of netmask strings in the form "134.99.4.0/24". These are used by the "requires_firewall" function to determine if a given host is inside or outside your firewall. The following entries are used during installation & testing on the libnet package test_hosts If true then "make test" may attempt to connect to hosts given in the configuration. test_exists If true then "Configure" will check each hostname given that it exists perl v5.14.2 2014-09-29 Net::Config(3perl)