Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How to get back Linux Grub screen Post 67679 by er.pankaj on Friday 25th of March 2005 05:07:17 AM
Old 03-25-2005
Thanx alot guys, I got my grub back

I did it this way
Invoked Grub,

Set the GRUB's root device1 to the partition containing the boot directory, like this:
# grub> root (hd0,0)

If you are not sure which partition actually holds this directory, use the command find,This will search for the file name /boot/grub/stage1 and show the devices which contain the file.
# grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

#grub> setup (hd0) --This command will install the GRUB boot loader on the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the first drive.

If you want to put GRUB into the boot sector of a partition instead of putting it in the MBR, specify the partition into which you want to install GRUB like this:
#grub> setup (hd0,0)

Smilie Cheers
Pankaj

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't get GRUB to boot Linux!!!

I have installed Linux 7.2 on a IBM xseries 235 server with 5 scsi hard drives and ServerRaid-5i Ultra320 scsi controller. I started my installation by configuring the raid controller. I created 2 arrays, raid 1 and raid5. I then proceeded to install Linux and load the drivers. After the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

in need of serious help with Grub and Linux, Windows XP

Ok, here's the thing... I have a computer that has both Fedora Core 3 Linux and Windows XP Pro. I have it so the MBR loads in the Windows style (black screen with a 30 second pause to choose either Fedora Core or Windows) Now if I select Fedora Core, it starts its own OS selector (I believe it's... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattzway
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a way to get rid of GRUB and any OS selector so that Linux starts....

Is there a way to get rid of GRUB and any Linux OS selector so that Linux starts automatically without having to wait for GRUB to go through it's OS choice process? I want to keep the Windows OS selector and have it so when I select Linux, it goes right to Linux and not another selector. Know what... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattzway
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Blank GRUB Screen

Hello. I had installed solaris 10 in morning , and all was running fine... I just logged out and logged in with another user ID oracle - It got stuck and then I pressed the button for restart. Now I see only word GRUB written in top line rest everything is black. What to do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Grub screen issue while booting......

Hi Gurus..... My system is dual boot, having Win XP & Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. Initially I use to boot linux by pressing "tab" key, which was showing me two OS listed in Grub. Since last few days, I'm not able to get that grub screen even if I press "tab" or any key while my system... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amol21
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

grub splash screen not displayed

I re-installed grub on /dev/sdb on a 3ware raid machine and now the grub splash screen is not displayed when booting. Server when boots up comes and halt in the grub menu and I need to manually load kernel and initrd to get the machine up. I have not changed any grub setting. I used the command... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grub installation fails in Linux BMR..

Hi all, This topic is purely on a problem in installing grub in my LINUX BMR process... A major problem too.. I am designing Linux BMR where i do the following.. Backup the " / " as a whole .. with partition details ..etc And using the Knoppix Live CD i first create the partitions... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: selvarajvs
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Linux LVM.. Grub not loading from replaced disk

Hi, a little while ago, one of the GPT Partitioned hard disk had gone faulty in a Mirror RAID and is now successfully replaced. here is how I did that. 1) created identical partition table on the new disk. 2) attached the mirrors using md commands. The whole procedure is given... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux first or GRUB first ?

Hi everyone, I am having trouble of understanding the concept of GRUB bootloader in Linux. My questions are-: Do we install GRUB first and then install Linux ? Does GRUB act as a bootloader for Windows if we are trying to dual boot Windows and Linux ? Or does GRUB load the Windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
4 Replies
installgrub(1M)                                                                                                                    installgrub(1M)

NAME
installgrub - install GRUB in a disk partition or a floppy SYNOPSIS
/sbin/installgrub [-fm] stage1 stage2 raw-device The installgrub command is an -only program. GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader. installgrub installs GRUB stage 1 and stage 2 files on the boot area of a disk partition. If you specify the -m option, installgrub installs the stage 1 file on the master boot sector of the disk. The installgrub command accepts the following options: -f Suppresses interaction when overwriting the master boot sector. -m Installs GRUB stage1 on the master boot sector interactively. The installgrub command accepts the following operands: stage1 The name of the GRUB stage 1 file. stage2 The name of the GRUB stage 2 file. raw-device The name of the device onto which GRUB code is to be installed. It must be a character device that is readable and writable. For disk devices, specify the slice where the GRUB menu file is located. (For Solaris it is the root slice.) For a floppy disk, it is /dev/rdiskette. Example 1: Installing GRUB on a Hard Disk Slice The following command installs GRUB on a system where the root slice is c0d0s0: example# /sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 Example 2: Installing GRUB on a Floppy The following command installs GRUB on a formatted floppy: example# mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /mnt # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub # cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub # umount /mnt # cd /boot/grub # /sbin/installgrub stage1 stage2 /dev/rdiskette /boot/grub Directory where GRUB files reside. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ boot(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), kernel(1M), attributes(5) Installing GRUB on the master boot sector (-m option) overrides any boot manager currently installed on the machine. The system will always boot the GRUB in the Solaris partition regardless of which fdisk partition is active. 24 May 2005 installgrub(1M)