Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing last character from each line of file Post 62653 by cjhancock on Friday 18th of February 2005 09:29:28 AM
Old 02-18-2005
Missing the point

I've got ONE zip file containing both binary and ASCII files. I transfer it as binary, then unzip it. If I try to unzip using the -a switch, one of the binary files gets interpreted as ASCII which is a bigger problem.

Any clearer? I really appreciate your help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing character from list line (at the end)

Hi, I have file as shown below. abc, def, abc, xyz, I have to remove ',' from end of last line (xyz,). How can I do that with single command? Is it possible or I have to iterate through complete file to remove that? - Malay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing new line character

I'm appending header and trailer record for a binary file using echo "$header" > filename cat oldfilename >> filename echo "$trailer" >> filename The echo is introducing newline character after header and trailer.Please let me know is there any possibility to get rid of newline character. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing a character and addending to end in each line in a file

HI i am having a file this (sys19:pnlfct:/pfact/temp>) cat temp_sand 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 I want to make this file as (sys19:pnlfct:/pfact/temp>) cat temp_sand 1456789023 1456789023 1456789023 1456789023 just take the 2nd and 3rd position and put it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concat line first and then removing the ^M character

hi Someone can give me some clue or script in writing the below requirement I am having 5 or 10 files of unix files which contain ^M charactes. First we have to find ^M character and concat the line where it has broken and then we have to remove the ^M character from the uxix... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsantoshusa
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing ^Z Character in a File

Hi, I am having a pipe (|) delimited file which is having ^Z character in the middle of the text.Could anyone please suggest me how to remove this ^Z Character from the file.I almost used all the ideas posted in this site but none of them worked in my case since tis ^Z character is not coming at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoenix86
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Special Character from File.

Hi, My file has this special character "^M" I would like to remove this characters. eg: abc,abc,^M i tried using sed but doesnt work. i used octal dump command to see special character it returns following: 015 \r Appreciate your reply. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
6 Replies

7. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help removing last character of every line if certain character

I need help removing the last character of every line if it is a certain character. For example I need to get rid of a % character if it is in the last position. Input: aaa% %bbb ccc d%dd% Output should be: aaa %bbb ccc d%dd I tried this but it gets rid of all of the % characters.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor25
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing first and last character of line

Hi all, Please help me to remove first and last character of each line in a file. Thanks, Baski (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baskivs
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last character of a specific line from a file

Hello guys, I would need to remove the last character ")" of a specific line. This can be from any line. Your help is appreciated. Below is the line. HOSTNAME=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)) Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sang8g
6 Replies
delch(3cur)															       delch(3cur)

Name
       delch, mvdelch, mvwdelch, wdelch - remove character from window

Syntax
       #include <cursesX.h>

int delch()

int wdelch(win)
       WINDOW *win;

int mvdelch(y, x)
       int y, x;

int mvwdelch(win, y, x)
       WINDOW *win;
       int y, x;

Description
       The  routine  deletes  the character under the cursor in the default window.  All characters to the right on the same line are moved to the
       left one position and the last character on the line is filled with a blank.  The cursor position does not change.

The routine deletes the character under the cursor in the specified window.  All characters to the right on the same line are moved to  the
       left one position and the last character on the line is filled with a blank.  The cursor position does not change.

The  routine moves the cursor to the specified position in the default window.  The character found at this location is deleted.  All char-
       acters to the right on the same line are moved to the left one position and the last character on the line is filled  with  a  blank.   The
       cursor position does not change.

The  routine  moves  the  cursor  to the specified position in the specified window.  The character found at this location is deleted.  All
       characters to the right on the same line are moved to the left one position and the last character on the line is filled with a blank.  The
       cursor position does not change.

The routines and are macros.

Return Values
       The and functions return OK on success and ERR on error.

delch(3cur)