Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PIDs of background process
Operating Systems HP-UX PIDs of background process Post 61890 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 9th of February 2005 03:05:47 PM
Old 02-09-2005
$! is the pid of the most recent process, $$ is the pid of the current process, $PPID is the parent pid. In Korn shell.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture the process id when starting a background process

Hello all, How do I start a background process and save the process id to a file on my system. For example %wait 5 & will execute and print the process id. I can't figure out how to get it to a file. I've tried: > filename 0>filename 1>filename. Any assistance is most appreciated. Thanks, Jim... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jleavitt
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cause a process to be in background

Hi My script - main.sh, execute program1.sh in background and program2.sh in foreground . program1.sh holds the process ID of program2. program1.sh after a while needs to move the process of program2.sh to background. How? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avnerht
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process

can anybody plz tell me how can i find the background processes running. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raom
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in background process

Hi, I have a main script(main.ksh) within which I have called another script(sub.ksh). The sub.ksh script is made to run in the background using '&'. The main.ksh script logs the information in a logfile main_ddmmyy and the sub.ksh script also logs the information in the log file sub_ddmmyy.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chella
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process

i gave a copy process in the background( to copy around 100GB) , while in progress, the session got terminated. when i relogged in and checked the destination folder the copying was in progress... how could it happen(copying) when the shell terminates??? :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod.thayil
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Background Process

I need to submit a script that will continue to run after logging out and after a reboot or shutdown. I entered the following: nohup script & The script continues to run in the background after logging off the system but is killed after a reboot or shutdown. Any help would be greatly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: powwm
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put FTP process as a background process/job in perl?

Hi, I am using net::ftp for transferring files now i am trying in the same Linux server as a result ftp is very fast but if the server is other location (remote) then the file transferred will be time consuming. So i want try putting FTP part as a background process. I am unaware how to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing PIDs of same process at different instances

Hi, I'm gonna launch a process from my 'C' code. I'm gonna launch it a few times. I would like to capture the PID of that process each time I launch. I have to copy the each PIDs into a 'C' variable and I have to kill all of them when I exit from the 'C' code. My requirement is int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryaemlinux
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make background process interact with fg process

Hi, I have written a menu driven shell script in which as per the choice, I run the another script on background. For eg: 1. get info 2)process info 3)modify info All the operations have different scripts which i schedule in background using &. However I wish to display the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
0 Replies
pid(n)                                                         Tcl Built-In Commands                                                        pid(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
pid - Retrieve process identifiers SYNOPSIS
pid ?fileId? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
If the fileId argument is given then it should normally refer to a process pipeline created with the open command. In this case the pid command will return a list whose elements are the process identifiers of all the processes in the pipeline, in order. The list will be empty if fileId refers to an open file that is not a process pipeline. If no fileId argument is given then pid returns the process identi- fier of the current process. All process identifiers are returned as decimal strings. EXAMPLE
Print process information about the processes in a pipeline using the SysV ps program before reading the output of that pipeline: set pipeline [open "| zcat somefile.gz | grep foobar | sort -u"] # Print process information exec ps -fp [pid $pipeline] >@stdout # Print a separator and then the output of the pipeline puts [string repeat - 70] puts [read $pipeline] close $pipeline SEE ALSO
exec(n), open(n) KEYWORDS
file, pipeline, process identifier Tcl 7.0 pid(n)