Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PIDs of background process
Operating Systems HP-UX PIDs of background process Post 61890 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 9th of February 2005 03:05:47 PM
Old 02-09-2005
$! is the pid of the most recent process, $$ is the pid of the current process, $PPID is the parent pid. In Korn shell.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture the process id when starting a background process

Hello all, How do I start a background process and save the process id to a file on my system. For example %wait 5 & will execute and print the process id. I can't figure out how to get it to a file. I've tried: > filename 0>filename 1>filename. Any assistance is most appreciated. Thanks, Jim... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jleavitt
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cause a process to be in background

Hi My script - main.sh, execute program1.sh in background and program2.sh in foreground . program1.sh holds the process ID of program2. program1.sh after a while needs to move the process of program2.sh to background. How? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avnerht
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process

can anybody plz tell me how can i find the background processes running. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raom
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in background process

Hi, I have a main script(main.ksh) within which I have called another script(sub.ksh). The sub.ksh script is made to run in the background using '&'. The main.ksh script logs the information in a logfile main_ddmmyy and the sub.ksh script also logs the information in the log file sub_ddmmyy.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chella
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process

i gave a copy process in the background( to copy around 100GB) , while in progress, the session got terminated. when i relogged in and checked the destination folder the copying was in progress... how could it happen(copying) when the shell terminates??? :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod.thayil
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Background Process

I need to submit a script that will continue to run after logging out and after a reboot or shutdown. I entered the following: nohup script & The script continues to run in the background after logging off the system but is killed after a reboot or shutdown. Any help would be greatly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: powwm
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put FTP process as a background process/job in perl?

Hi, I am using net::ftp for transferring files now i am trying in the same Linux server as a result ftp is very fast but if the server is other location (remote) then the file transferred will be time consuming. So i want try putting FTP part as a background process. I am unaware how to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing PIDs of same process at different instances

Hi, I'm gonna launch a process from my 'C' code. I'm gonna launch it a few times. I would like to capture the PID of that process each time I launch. I have to copy the each PIDs into a 'C' variable and I have to kill all of them when I exit from the 'C' code. My requirement is int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryaemlinux
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make background process interact with fg process

Hi, I have written a menu driven shell script in which as per the choice, I run the another script on background. For eg: 1. get info 2)process info 3)modify info All the operations have different scripts which i schedule in background using &. However I wish to display the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
0 Replies
WAIT(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   WAIT(1)

NAME
wait -- await process completion SYNOPSIS
wait [pid] DESCRIPTION
If invoked with no arguments, the wait utility waits until all existing child processes in the background have terminated. Available operands: pid If a pid operand is specified, and it is the process ID of a background child process that still exists, the wait utility waits until that process has completed and consumes its status information, without consuming the status information of any other process. If a pid operand is specified that is not the process ID of a child background process that still exists, wait exits without waiting for any processes to complete. The wait utility exits with one of the following values: 0 The wait utility was invoked with no operands and all of the existing background child processes have terminated, or the process specified by the pid operand exited normally with 0 as its exit status. >0 The specified process did not exist and its exit status information was not available, or the specified process existed or its exit status information was available, and it terminated with a non-zero exit status. If the specified process terminated abnormally due to the receipt of a signal, the exit status information of wait contains that termination status as well. STANDARDS
The wait command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD