Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Undo delete
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Undo delete Post 60433 by zazzybob on Monday 17th of January 2005 08:05:45 AM
Old 01-17-2005
Under UNIX, if files are removed there is generally no way of undeleting them - your only choice is to restore from a backup.

Under some circumstances if the disk can be brought immediately offline after the deletion and mounted read-only, a data-recovery company/expert may be able to recover some of the data - however seeing as this is a managed server which is probably using some kind of RAID, the areas of the disk(s) that held this information before will no doubt have been written to.

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

undo installation on AIX 4.3

Hi, How can I undo installation of a package on AIX 4.3 properly? It's an install script. On linux, I usually just kill the process and delete from disk with this command "find .... exec rm -r {}\;". And it usually works. Can I do the same with AIX 4.3? Thanks, Itik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

how to undo the last installed update on fedora.

Hi All, I'm a newbie to system administration, I'd like to know how to check the logs (what update was installed last) , and I'd like to know how to undo the last update on the fedora 9 system ( kindof an equivalent to system restore in windows). I have a HP 22 inch monitor, when I installed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Undo vgextend

Hi I had extended one of the FS yesterday as rsync was failing and the temp solution was to extend it to 4GB while we worked on cron script. spthrv01:/root# bdf /p05 Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/vg232/lvol1 130940928 82208608 48385792 63% /p05 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doing undo in Vi editor

I generally use 'u' to do undo in vi editor. The problem is that it only does one level of undo. Is it possible to recursively undo all the changes in vi editor till we reach the original stage. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I undo a link?

Hi. Newbie here....so Unix for Dummies question for sure. I was compiling a piece of software and having problems and somebody suggested: sudo ln -s /usr/X11 /usr/X11R6 Didn't work. How do I undo this? I am on a Mac OS X snow leopard. I figure it is something with the unlink command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stoucha
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Undo in unix

Hi All, Is there any undo option is there in unix same as recycle bin in windows? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
5 Replies

7. Solaris

disabled nwam - how to undo?

I installed Solaris 11 Express on my machine and connected to it remotely using putty. I then run the svcadm disable /network/physical:nwam command to stop the NWAM service. Now I cannot connect to the Solaris machine remotely anymore, but I have physical access to it as well. How do I undo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RychnD
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to undo hyphenation in columns

I have a file with two columns (output from Tivoli Storage Manager) where each column has 13 character spaces and they are separated by 5 spaces. The columns are schedule names and node names and many of them are longer than 13 characters so they get hyphenated by TSM during the output. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jongudm
3 Replies

9. AIX

mount /test / is it possible to undo?

Hello! As a totally newbie I was testing 'mount' command but it doesn't worked for me. then finally I used this commend above 'mount /test / ' - and sever doesn't respond now :/ Is it possible to undo somehow this commanand? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jui_01
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Undo overwrite file in UNIX?

Hi, Could anyone please advise if its possible in unix to undo the changes for a file that has been overwrriten. By mistake i have overwritten a file and now i need the original file, is there a way? Please Help!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail.chiranjit
2 Replies
metaoffline(1M) 					  System Administration Commands					   metaoffline(1M)

NAME
metaoffline, metaonline - place submirrors offline and online SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/metaoffline -h /usr/sbin/metaoffline [-s setname] [-f] mirror submirror /usr/sbin/metaonline -h /usr/sbin/metaonline [-s setname] mirror submirror DESCRIPTION
The metaoffline command prevents Solaris Volume Manager from reading and writing to the submirror that has been taken offline. While the submirror is offline, all writes to the mirror will be kept track of (by region) and will be written when the submirror is brought back online. The metaoffline command can also be used to perform online backups: one submirror is taken offline and backed up while the mirror remains accessible. (However, if this is a two-way mirror, data redundancy is lost while one submirror is offline.) The metaoffline command differs from the metadetach command because it does not sever the logical association between the submirror and the mirror. To completely remove a submirror from a mirror, use the metadetach command. A submirror that has been taken offline will only remain offline until the metaonline command is invoked or the system is rebooted. When the metaonline command is used, reading from and writing to the submirror resumes. A resync is automatically invoked to resync the regions written while the submirror was offline. Writes are directed to the submirror during resync. Reads, however, will come from a dif- ferent submirror. Once the resync operation completes, reads and writes are performed on that submirror. The metaonline command is only effective on a submirror of a mirror that has been taken offline. The metaoffline and metaonline commands can not be used on RAID 1 volumes in application-based recovery (ABR) mode. A submirror that has been taken offline with the metaoffline command can only be mounted as read-only. OPTIONS
Root privileges are required for all of the following options except -h. -f Forces offlining of submirrors that have slices requiring maintenance. -h Displays usage message. -s setname Specifies the name of the diskset on which metaoffline and metaonline will work. Using the -s option will cause the command to perform its administrative function within the specified diskset. Without this option, the command will perform its func- tion on local metadevices. mirror Specifies the metadevice name of the mirror from which the submirror will be either taken offline or put online. submirror Specifies the metadevice name of the submirror to be either taken offline or put online. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Taking a Submirror Offline This example takes one submirror, mymirror_sub1, offline from mirror mymirror. # metaoffline mymirror mymirror_sub1 EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmdu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdmonitord(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metahs(1M), metainit(1M), metaparam(1M), metarecover(1M), metarename(1M), metareplace(1M), metaroot(1M), metaset(1M), metassist(1M), metastat(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), md.tab(4), md.cf(4), mddb.cf(4), md.tab(4), attributes(5), md(7D) NOTES
The metaonline and metaoffline commands are not applicable to mirrors in application-based recovery (ABR) mode. SunOS 5.11 26 Mar 2006 metaoffline(1M)