Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: disable cron job
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers disable cron job Post 59674 by Perderabo on Tuesday 28th of December 2004 09:21:12 PM
Old 12-28-2004
Gee, if you shut down your server, that should do it. Computers won't run cron jobs while they're shut off. And yes, the start up scripts should restart cron when you power up your system.

If you want to stop and restart cron while leaving the server up, there is generally a way to that safely by running the cron start-up and shut-down scripts manually. If you tell us what type of system you have, we can help you with details on this.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CRON usage for CRON job

can anybody explain the usage of CRON for adding a cron job. please provide an example also for better understanding !!! Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
1 Replies

2. Solaris

cron job starts new cron proccess

I run cron in solaris 10 zone. One cron job which syncing files to nfs mounted on container, creates after finishing another cron proccess(/usr/sbin/cron), and after 100 existing cron proccesses next cron job will not start. It's too weird for me, I'm not able to solve this problem. Theoretically... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron76
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disable cron job

Hi all, I am not the unix person but have to disable cron job on the server I typed crontab -l to list the job there is one job then i tried crontab -e and got one result 100 ( i do not know what that means) how can i disable the job to run i want to disable the job. Please show me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: patdev
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Auto enable/disable cron job

Hi all, Does anyone know if it is possible to enable/disable a cron job within a script? I currently have a cron job which runs every minute but now it seems that sometimes I would like to turn this job off if a condition is met. I would then like to re-enable the job at a later date. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxy2d1
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON Job

Hi all, Pretty new to CRON but have been messing with Ubuntu for a while now Here is the situation/problem I have run into you. I currently run a very basic back procedure by executing a daily CRON job which copies all data from one directory to a USB drive & date stamps the copy:- cp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2scoops
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Cron job running even after cron is removed

Hi , I have removed a cron for particular user , but cron job seems to be running even after the cron entry is removed. The purpose of the cron was to sendmail to user ( it uses mailx utility ) I have restarted cron and sendmail service still user is getting mail alerts from the cron job. And... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commented cron job -- cron monitoring

Hi I have a requirement to write a shell script,that will check the all commented job in cron job.Please help !! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job - Need to run Cron every quarter at particular time

Hi, 1) If some job supposed to run on 1st of every month at 7 AM In cron job when we have a blackout on the 1st ( i.e when 1st falls on a sunday ) how can we make the job run the next business day? 2) How can we run a job on 25th of every quarter 7 AM(jan,apr,jul,oct) And if 25th... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to disable cron emails, but only for logrotate only not for other logs?

Guys, is there a script or command? how to disable cron emails, but only for logrotate only not for other logs (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies
queuedefs(4)                                                       File Formats                                                       queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and cron SYNOPSIS
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron(1M). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue. a is the default queue for jobs started by at(1); b is the default queue for jobs started by batch (see at(1)); c is the default queue for jobs run from a crontab(1) file. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run, and the others will be run as jobs that are currently running terminate. The default value is 100. nice The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user. The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing has been reached. The default value is 60. Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. # # a.4j1n b.2j2n90w This file specifies that the a queue, for at jobs, can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice value of 1. As no nwait value was given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. The b queue, for batch(1) jobs, can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice(1) value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron(1M) will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. FILES
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs queue description file for at, batch, and cron. SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), nice(1), cron(1M) SunOS 5.10 1 Mar 1994 queuedefs(4)