Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how do I get the value of expr with ksh Post 5823 by Michael on Friday 24th of August 2001 07:15:43 AM
Old 08-24-2001
Hi Krisna,

try it with "let"

example:

let k="($a + $b) * $c"

k=900

Smilie greetings

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script using expr to calculate percentages

Within a ksh script on HP-UX I trying to calculate a percentage of a number (number/100 x percentage) using the below method and expr. TARPERC=`expr 16 / 100 \* 5` TARSUM=`expr 16 + $TARPERC` ZIPSUM=`expr $TARSUM \* 2` If the input is 16 outputs are: TARPERC: 0 TARSUM: 16 ZIPSUM: 32... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wurzul
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr error in ksh

Hi ALL, i am so much confused y the following script is not working in the korn shel which works in bash shell. please solve the error that i am facing. i want to extract the format of the size from a variable i.e. GB or KB or MB or B or BYTES code: -------- size_dir_pass=1.2gb... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr inside a ksh script Solaris

Hi; If I do something like this. dftotalsize=0;export dftotalsize;df -k | grep \/db001 | awk '{print $4}' | while read theinput \ ; do export $theinput; dftotalsize=`expr $dftotalsize + $theinput`; export dftotalsize; echo $dftotalsize; done ; echo `expr $dftotalsize \/ 1024 \/ 1024 "GB" Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: myjess
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

how to use expr

i am new to shell programming, currently using redhat linux of version 2.4.20-8. i have problem in executing expr command in the following shell script $ x=5 $ x='expr $x + 1' $ echo $x the output is displaying always expr $x + 1 Pls guide me for the above query (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saikumarm80
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

test expr VS [ expr ]

What is the difference between test expr VS . For example : if test 5 -eq 6 echo "Wrong" and if echo "Wrong" bot will give the same output as Wrong. Now, what is the difference between these two? though they are producing the same result why we need two? Any answer will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.g
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

the expr \*

$ cat > mtable #!/bin/sh # #Script to test for loop # # if then echo "Error - Number missing form command line argument" echo "Syntax : $0 number" echo "Use to print multiplication table for given number" exit 1 fi n=$1 for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 do echo "$n * $i = `expr $i \*... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jackel7777
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr ?!

Hey there i want to subtract the content from $b from $a. Each variable has got 18 values (normal numbers from 0 - 99). How can i subtract them? I know i have to use the expr command, this is what i have till now: a=`cat Tabelle.dat | awk {'print $4'} | awk -F: {'print $1'}` b=`cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mad van Bert
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error with expr - "expr: syntax error"

Hi All, I'm writing a shell script in KSH, where I want to store the filename, total record count and actual record count of all the source files. The source files reside in 4 different sub-folders under the same root folder. Below is code: #!/usr/bin/ksh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagari
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If + expr

Hi I have bellow script: t1=`cat node1.txt | grep thread1 | cut -f2 -d '-'` t2=`cat node2.txt | grep thread2 | cut -f2 -d '-'` t3=`cat node1_rcat.txt | grep thread1 | cut -f2 -d '-'` t4=`cat node2_rcat.txt | grep thread2 | cut -f2 -d '-'` if ]; then echo "no restore" >> log.log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: primo102
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nn$( expr $n + 1)

HI there I am trying to understand Shell scripting to create my own, I am attempting a few examples can anyone tell me what this means?n=$( expr $n + 1)Tried looking on the internet, but just cannot find its anywhere :( .Help please (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve2015
4 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)