Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: rlogin/rsh incoming port
Top Forums Programming rlogin/rsh incoming port Post 54502 by andryk on Tuesday 17th of August 2004 04:13:10 AM
Old 08-17-2004
rlogin/rsh incoming port

Hi all,

In need to know why my sample code below that connect to a rlogind (513) fails, but original unix rlogin does not ? (.rhosts is verified to be correct)

I heard rlogin/rsh bind to a reserved port before connecting to the rlogin server. what are they ???

Code:
   s = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
   sck.sin_family      = AF_INET;
   sck.sin_port        = htons(513);
   sck.sin_addr.s_addr = inet_addr("192.168.15.40");

if (connect(s, (struct sockaddr *)&sck,sizeof(sck)) <0) {
      printf("connect() error\n"); return;
   }
   printf("Connected %d\n",s);
   write(s,"",1);
   write(s,"root",5);
   write(s,"root",5);
   write(s,"linux/38400",12);

read(s,buf,sizeof(buf));
   printf("%s\n",buf);

Any help would be appreciated Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsh & rlogin

I'm trying to execute the next command: " rsh CompName date " which means i want to get the date from a machine which i have its CompName. but i get the answer : "Connection refused" what do i need to do ? how can i sign myself as user or guest in the other machine ? thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Inbal
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listening on port for incoming data?

I am not what I would call an experienced programmer. I know some ksh etc.. I need to be able to listening on a port for incoming data on a ultra 10 using solaris 9. Basically all that I need to do at the moment is to log the incoming data on a specific port number. Any ideas on how I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp, rlogin , rcp, rsh are not wroking

Hi Friends I am facing one problem, I am not able to use ftp, rlogin , rcp, rsh in a particular server. when I am trying to ftp certain file from that server it is giving Connection closed by remote host. Now from other unix box I am not able to rlogin that particular server. as .rhosts... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsjoy2u
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

handling incoming messages

I have a few clients connecting to the server(which is using select()) and theyre trying to send messages to each other. How do I wait for input on stdin and at the same time I wait for data to being sent from the server? Should I use select() in my client too? How exactly though? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: charlitos
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RSH/rlogin problem

Hello, When I try and RSH/RLOGIN onto a box with user root, I get the prompt but the username/password combination NEVER work. I have the password up properly on the host machine. Does rsh/rlogin not make use of ./etc/passwd and /etc/shadow? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

6. Linux

incoming mails not coming

I am using Linux box. i am able to send mails through sendmail to local and other domains. i am not receving any incoming mails. dovecot service is running. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishindn
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

which port for rsh

Hi, on AIX 6.1 , which port should be open for rsh commande ? When I issu the following : rsh myremoteserver -l oracle ls it hangs until I issue ctrl+c. What should I verify ? Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rlogin / RSH / SSH

Hello, I am looking for a connection method in which i can connect to a remote server but I want to have only one chance to connect to the remote server (not to be asked for iuser name and password again). If I have provided a wrong password then I want the connection to broke and be routed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
1 Replies

9. AIX

Deny rsh,tn,or rlogin

Is there a way to deny access to a specific remote login option. example: usera--deny telnet access but keep rsh and rlogin userb--keeps telnet, rsh, and rlogin I'm basically trying to contol the access per services instead of changing the LOGIN REMOTELY(rsh,tn,rlogin) option to yes or no. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: leemalloy
12 Replies

10. Solaris

How to find port number wwn of particular port on dual port HBA,?

please find the below o/p for your reference bash-3.00# fcinfo hba-port HBA Port WWN: 21000024ff295a34 OS Device Name: /dev/cfg/c2 Manufacturer: QLogic Corp. Model: 375-3356-02 Firmware Version: 05.03.02 FCode/BIOS Version: BIOS: 2.02; fcode: 2.01;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
3 Replies
BINDRESVPORT(3) 					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					   BINDRESVPORT(3)

NAME
bindresvport, bindresvport_sa -- bind a socket to a privileged IP port LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <rpc/rpc.h> int bindresvport(int sd, struct sockaddr_in *sin); int bindresvport_sa(int sd, struct sockaddr *sa); DESCRIPTION
The bindresvport() and bindresvport_sa() functions are used to bind a socket descriptor to a privileged IP port, that is, a port number in the range 0-1023. If sin is a pointer to a struct sockaddr_in then the appropriate fields in the structure should be defined. Note that sin->sin_family must be initialized to the address family of the socket, passed by sd. If sin->sin_port is '0' then an anonymous port (in the range 600-1023) will be chosen, and if bind(2) is successful, the sin->sin_port will be updated to contain the allocated port. If sin is the NULL pointer, an anonymous port will be allocated (as above). However, there is no way for bindresvport() to return the allo- cated port in this case. Only root can bind to a privileged port; this call will fail for any other users. Function prototype of bindresvport() is biased to AF_INET socket. The bindresvport_sa() function acts exactly the same, with more neutral function prototype. Note that both functions behave exactly the same, and both support AF_INET6 sockets as well as AF_INET sockets. RETURN VALUES
The bindresvport() function returns the value 0 if successful; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
[EPFNOSUPPORT] If second argument was supplied, and address family did not match between arguments. The bindresvport() function may also fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the calls bind(2), getsockopt(2), or setsockopt(2). SEE ALSO
bind(2), getsockopt(2), setsockopt(2), ip(4) BSD
November 22, 1987 BSD