Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: format to linux native?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers format to linux native? Post 5434 by gan on Tuesday 14th of August 2001 07:40:34 PM
Old 08-14-2001
format to linux native?

hi again all,
i am still trying to get my old win95 pc to become a unix/linux pc, running with redhat.
i managed to install it on my old win32/fat partition (which is the whole hdd), but when i did this it said it may result in lower operating speed, but i couldn't manage to create a linux native partition as whenever i did the next button would become unavailable.
ok, so i went back to dos from my win95 boot disk with a couple of dos commands on it and deltree'd the whole hdd and then ran fdisk and chose not to make it large or whatever it was.
now it says that my hdd has no label and it won't go through the install.
what do i need to do to get redhat running on my 'puter as a linux native machine?
i dont care if it deletes anything on the hdd as i dont need any of it.
thanks in advance
gan

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want To convert script in Linux format

I have scripts which I want to convert in Linux format. Note these scripts are in txt format.But I want to convert them in Linux, as DBA's will be using this script. Any command or utility which converts tht files in proper Linux format. Thanks in Adavce. Kunal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niceboykunal123
1 Replies

2. Linux

problem to format linux partition

hi friends one week ago, i have installed fedoa 9 on my home pc. i already have windows xp on that machine. unfortunately my windows xp has corrupted. again i want to install windows xp but it is not installing. will i format my linux partition or some other option is there. please help me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneshmishra08
0 Replies

3. Programming

Regarding Native method

Hi, I am working with solaris 9 and I am using jre1.6. In my application,I am using java and C++ in my application.Basically we are using the java for front end and C/C++ for back hand.So I have to call the C/C++ source code form java code.we are using native methods for it.. So application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to native compile Linux Dialog

Hi, as my thread has been moved to Debian. I don't run Debian machine. My machine is Linux embedded router - mipsel. Sources come from Debian, but Dialog sources are GNU, so no Debian specific. Native compilation vs. crosscompilation, exactly to let you know, that I don't run Debian... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
2 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Conversion of the format of a file in linux

How to convert a rtf file to a ttf file in ubuntu terminal? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: poonam.gaigole
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux mail format problem

I am trying to use Linux mail command on red hat linux. It is working fine except when there is hardcoded "\n" characters in the file content i want to send. It is literally taking "\n" as text and message is not getting formatted to give newliine effect. I am using the following command: cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fundoo.code
3 Replies

7. SuSE

Unable to format suse Linux

Hello All, I am new to use linux. I installed SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64) trail version which is free for 60 days. Now I want to again format the whole system and install the same OS again but its not happening. I am trying with a bootable pen drive which has an .iso image of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hunk_harsha
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Keep Linux in english while windows in native language

hi, I want that a language change in windows won't effect Linux language (which should be always English). I had that feature but A Windows update changed it. How can I fix it? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daivon
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Wanna learn native GUI programming in UNIX - Linux ?

Hi , wanna learn native GUI programming in Unix-Linux instead of Gtk and Qt. No problem. You don't need a cross platform Gui toolkit like Gtk and Qt. And the code and syntax is also not more or less than others. Check out this code for a simple mainwindow for your application that is openend in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sennenmut
0 Replies
FINDFS(8)                                                      System Administration                                                     FINDFS(8)

NAME
findfs - find a filesystem by label or UUID SYNOPSIS
findfs NAME=value DESCRIPTION
findfs will search the block devices in the system looking for a filesystem or partition with specified tag. The currently supported tags are: LABEL=<label> Specifies filesystem label. UUID=<uuid> Specifies filesystem UUID. PARTUUID=<uuid> Specifies partition UUID. This partition identifier is supported for example for GUID Partition Table (GPT) partition tables. PARTLABEL=<label> Specifies partition label (name). The partition labels are supported for example for GUID Partition Table (GPT) or MAC partition tables. If the filesystem or partition is found, the device name will be printed on stdout. The complete overview about filesystems and partitions you can get for example by lsblk --fs partx --show <disk> blkid EXIT STATUS
0 success 1 label or uuid cannot be found 2 usage error, wrong number of arguments or unknown option AUTHOR
findfs was originally written by Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> and re-written for the util-linux package by Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>. ENVIRONMENT
LIBBLKID_DEBUG=all enables libblkid debug output. SEE ALSO
blkid(8), lsblk(8), partx(8) AVAILABILITY
The findfs command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux March 2014 FINDFS(8)