Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Sendmail configuration - help needed Post 54087 by RTM on Monday 2nd of August 2004 08:43:46 AM
Old 08-02-2004
1. Is sendmail running on the server?
(Note - sendmail does not have to be running - just wondering if it is or not)

2. What errors are you seeing when you attempt to send mail from this server? Post what you find, please.

3. You can run the following command to check Sendmail for set up errors - /usr/lib/sendmail -d0.1 -bt < /dev/null - and post what version of Sendmail you are using.

4. Check your sendmail.cf file for forwarder information - normally this is where you could change the configuration to forward to a main mail exchanger. NOTE: make copies of any files you are going to edit.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail configuration problems

First of all, Happy Holidays,Merry Xmas, Happy Hanakah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Mid Winter Festival, etc.(Forgive me if I left your holiday out) Anyway, here is my situation. I am setting up an email server at the job, and Sendmail is not cooperating. The error that I get on my RedHat 7.3 Dell... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jody
5 Replies

2. AIX

sendmail configuration

I am in the process of setting up a new AIX 5.2 machine. I am not normally an AIX admin so please excuse if this is a dumb question.... this being that I need to alter the sendmail config. I can easily diff the default sendmail.cf with an existing server's file and see where to make the changes I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nzaixer
2 Replies

3. Linux

basic sendmail configuration

hi just i want someone to guide me through the basic configurations of sendmail "a local network" just i want to let user1@domain.com send e-mail to user2@domain.com Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: a_elhoseeny
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail Configuration - [Urgent]

I had my admin team to configure the SMTP on my HPUX unix box to send mails. Now they have given me a SMTP ip xx.xx.xx.xx and asked my to use this ip in ur code and not hostname for sending mails. where should I put this SMTP IP in the code or what should i configure in order to send mails. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Omkumar
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fresh sendmail configuration

I have a requirement to enable sendmail in all the servers in our lab. This is required in lots of cases like e-mail the server owner if any hardware error and if any application problems and so. Here my part is to confirm that it is possible to send e-mail to the system user from the server.e-mail... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: testbedengr
2 Replies

6. AIX

AIX sendmail configuration

I want to configure sendmail on AIX 4 and 5 to send emails to a windows SMTP proxy server for distribution. Mail would be going from AIX to Windows but any return emails would be sent not AIX but to a default Windows return address. What variables in the AIX sendmail.cf file would need to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahe
1 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Sendmail Configuration

Hi, We have a standalone Solaris 10 Server (no DNS is configured) from which we want email alerts to be triggered when there is any breaches in the disk utilization threshold levels. we would like to achieve this mailing through sendmail. Can any one explain the procedure to do so..??? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sendmail configuration.

Hi All, I need to configure mail functionality which enable us to send mail to outside company network. I just came to know that we have to configure outbound mail host/relaying mail in sendmail.cf file. Can someone suggest me on what to change in sendmail.cf, what information is required... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ace_friends22
0 Replies

9. HP-UX

Sendmail Configuration

Hi All, Need help !. I am configuring SMTP server details in my sendmail.cf My SMTP server details are like MAC234.ad.compname.com, and i have configured my sendmail.cf with this address. But mail address is something like user1@compname.com. Now when i run the sendmail command, i get... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chpsam
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Clarifying sendmail configuration - sendmail-client offline

Hi all, I have read about sendmail running as 2 separate process. 1 as a MSP, and the other as the real daemon or MTA. In my current configuration, the sendmail-client is disabled. Both submit.cf and sendmail.cf are left as default untouch I do not specified any mailhost... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies
mail_intro(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					     mail_intro(7)

NAME
mail_intro - Introductory information on the Tru64 UNIX mail system DESCRIPTION
The Tru64 UNIX mail system enables you to exchange mail with other users on your system, as well as with other systems connected to your local network and with users on other networks (provided your system and network are connected to other networks). Mail System Concepts Mail systems consist of the following components: User agent - The user agent provides the interface through which you interact with the mail system. Generally, the user interface enables you to create, send, receive, read, save, and manage your mail messages. Tru64 UNIX provides the following user agents: CDE's Mailer - For further information, see the Common Desktop Environment: User's Guide . Mail or mailx - For further information, see the Command and Shell User's Guide . The Rand Message Handling program (MH) - For further information, see the mh(1) and xmh(1X) reference pages. Transport agent - The transport agent provides an interface between the user agents and the delivery agents. The sendmail command is a transfer agent. Delivery agent - The delivery agent provides the mechanism for delivering the mail messages to end users, systems, and networks. The binmail and deliver commands are delivery agents for standard mail and IMAP mail, respectively. In Tru64 UNIX, the sendmail program acts as both the transport and delivery agent. It does so by implementing the Simple Mail Transfer Pro- tocol (SMTP), which is the specification for the Internet's delivery agent. Initially standards did not exist for mail addresses and computer networks. Many different address formats and network protocols exist. Mail programs must interact with different network protocols, as well as recognize and reformat different mail address formats. Fortu- nately, these difficulties were recognized and standards, such as the Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC 822) and The Domain Naming Convention for Internet User Applications (RFC 819), emerged. A mail program still must recognize addresses in various formats and communicate with different network protocols. The sendmail program addresses these issues through the use of the sendmail.cf configuration file. The Sendmail Configuration File The sendmail.cf configuration file provides the sendmail program with the information to perform the following tasks: Choose delivery agents Use address rewriting rules Define mail header information Perform some routing When it starts, the sendmail program reads the sendmail.cf configuration file. The information in the sendmail.cf configuration file enables sendmail to rewrite the addresses of mail it receives into the address form expected by the mail delivery agent. It also enables sendmail to set parameters and arguments to the mail delivery program. The configuration file contains information that is used for the following functions: Define message precedence for mail delivery Define administrative IDs to override the sender's address Define message headings Define the mail program to use Set options used by the sendmail command The default Tru64 UNIX configuration file (located in /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf) is adequate for most standalone systems. However, if you plan to connect your system to a network, you will have to modify the sendmail.cf file. Tru64 UNIX provides the mailconfig and mailsetup utilities, which you can use to create mail configuration files. If you prefer to manipu- late the configuration file manually, you should use the m4 macros provided for this purpose. (See the sendmail.m4 reference page.) For more information on configuring mail, see the Network Administration manual. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: binmail(1), mailconfig(8), mailsetup(8), mailx(1), sendmail(8), sendmail.m4(8) Files: sendmail.cf(4) Network Administration Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC 822) The Domain Naming Convention for Internet User Applications (RFC 819) UNIX System Administration Handbook, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice Hall, Inc., 1989. delim off mail_intro(7)