Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory cannot load any operating system Post 54071 by Derrek on Sunday 1st of August 2004 01:30:37 PM
Old 08-01-2004
cannot load any operating system

I've tried installing Linux (SuSE because it's the easiest disc I had on hand) and Windows, and neither can boot. The specific problems are below.

With Linux: During the installation, I get error message on most of the packages, even though I left all of them up to the default, and it sais that it cannot mount inted image On boot, Grub bootloader interface comes up with the options to boot Linux or failsaif. Both give the same error message. Cannot mount the root filesystem.

On Windows: Installation works fine, but on boot I get the error message: Cannot load operating system.

The Bios, Windows, and Linux recognise my hard drive.

I tried FIXMBR from the Windows repair console. Didn't change anything, though it did say that I have a nonstandard MBR.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System

I need the Unix operating system on disc as im new to unix. Im studying unix and x windows next year at Sheffield University and would like to get a head start. Any suggestions would be appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffersno1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Operating System

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum and Unix. I have a couple of questions and please, excuse my ignorance. I have a spare machine which is now running MS Windows 98 and I would like to format the disk and install the Unix operating system along with Oracle 8i and SQL Server. My... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: IronBear
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System

Can anyone give me info on networking features of the Unix Operating System please. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WaveZero
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating System

Which is much more powerful as an operating system: 1. Windows 2000 2. Windows 98 3. Windows XP 4. Windows ME 5. Unix 6. Linux and why is it much more powerful than the other operating systems that i have mentioned. thanks for your info... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alecks1975
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating system details

How to get operating system details of a Unix box. I want to know if an OS is a 32 bit Os or a 64 bit OS. uname -aX does not provide this detail. Thanks, Rahul. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
4 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Fabric Operating System

Would any of your gentlemen have come across a decent reference for the FOS in your wanderings? Brocade just seems to want to sell me classes and FAN books :/ (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eronysis
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Best Operating System

Hello All, I want to install Linux on my machine, so please tell me one thing which is the best to install- 1.)Red Hat 2.)Cent OS 3.)Red Hat 4.)Ubuntu 5.)Fedora except that if there is any please tell me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What's my Operating System

Can we know the operating given the IP address or DNS of the host. All I have is file://myserver/myapp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

9. Android

Android (operating system)

From Wikipedia (FYI): (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
ELILO(8)                                                      System Manager's Manual                                                     ELILO(8)

NAME
elilo - install EFI boot loader SYNOPSIS
elilo [options] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the elilo command, which was written specifically for the Debian distribution to simplify configuring and using the elilo.efi bootloader. There are two parts to elilo, the bootloader itself and this utility which installs or updates a bootload configuration. The primary function of elilo is to copy files necessary for booting Debian GNU/Linux from the main filesystem to a subdirectory /EFI/debian on the boot partition. These include elilo.efi, elilo.conf, and the kernel and ramdisk images referenced by elilo.conf. In addition, elilo can create a default configuration file, /etc/elilo.conf, and can invoke efibootmgr to create an entry in the EFI Boot Manager menu such that a system will autoboot in to Debian GNU/Linux on power up. elilo requires a couple of extra parameters in elilo.conf that elio.efi does not currently support. These are needed so that a normal run of elilo with no parameters can find the elilo.efi binary and boot partition in order to rebuild it. They are: install=<path to elilo.efi> boot=<boot partition> OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). -b, --boot set bootstrap partition device [ -b /dev/sda1 ] -i, --install pathname to the actual bootloader binary, default: /usr/{local/}lib/elilo/elilo.efi -C, --config use alternate configuration file [ -C config_file ] --autoconf auto-generate a /etc/elilo.conf. Typically only used during system installation. In normal use, an elilo.conf file already exists and will not be modified by elilo. --efiboot elilo auto configuration: create an efi boot manager entry for elilo. This option requires that the efibootmgr package also be installed. --timeout elilo auto configuration: sets the time elilo will wait for user input before booting default image default: 20 (2 seconds) --image elilo auto configuration: sets the path to the kernel image. default: /vmlinuz --label elilo auto configuration: sets the image label default: Linux --root elilo auto configuration: sets the root device default: /dev/sda3 --format create a new FAT filesystem on the boot partition. Use this cautiously if you have more than one operating system installed, and they may be sharing the same EFI partition! -v, --verbose make elilo more verbose --debug print boring junk only useful for debugging -h, --help display this help and exit -V, --version output version information and exit FILES
/etc/elilo.conf /usr/lib/elilo/elilo.efi SEE ALSO
efibootmgr(8) Additional information about elilo is available in the /usr/share/doc/elilo directory. AUTHOR
The elilo program and this manual page were written by Richard Hirst <rhirst@linuxcare.com> and Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com> as additions to the elilo bootloader package from Stephane Eranian <eranian@hpl.hp.com> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). 18 Mar 2002 ELILO(8)