Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using TRAP command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using TRAP command Post 53419 by s93366 on Wednesday 14th of July 2004 03:41:42 PM
Old 07-14-2004
Hi
depends..

I use the logger command (it logs to syslog). It depends on what kind of error checking your script has..

output everything to a file is the simplest way..

/peter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trap command

i have the following script that displays the current time until the user presses CTR + c.... but it does not work properly.... Something is not right with the trap command... Help plz... :confused: # script to continuously display current time. # if script is terminated trap signal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlyc
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trap command

Dear All could you please explain me what does the trap command do and how I can write a program which can work as a trap command(in C Language). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobile01
1 Replies

3. Programming

trap command in Unix

Could anybody tell me what the trap command does and how it performs the action it does. I had read the trap manual page but it is too concise that nothing is clear about it. Please tell how it works. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobile01
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of TRAP Command

Hi, I would like to know the use of TRAP command. I am very new to the UNIX environment. I have just started learning the basic. So please teach me in a very simple way to understand. Also i would like to know the use of following command: trap 'dialog --msgbox "Script Aborted1" 6 50 ;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepakh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cntl+z Trap is not detecting ??? Help required to add a trap detection ???

Hi folks, I have tried to add some trap detection in the below script....this script is used to monitor database activities...in a rather awkward way :rolleyes:.... The idea behind adding trap is that....this script creates lots of temporary files in the running folder to store the count... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

trap command

Hello experts! I need to know the use of trap command please In one of our program we have trap "rm -f temp1 ; exit 1" 1 2 15 0 and program always exit with 1 there is a rm -f temp1 as well at the end of the program as rm -f temp1 exit 0 when I test a probram with set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramshree01
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trap command

I'm learning about the trap command from my bash book. I tried out the little script they gave: trap "echo 'You hit control-C!' " INT while true; do sleep 60 done But when I type control-c, the script just stops and the message is not displayed. I checked stty all and saw that control-c... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

trap command

dear all; I can't under stand what does "trap" command do: for example see below: trap "echo; echo no interrupts >&2; sleep 3" 2 3 15 Plz , can any body explain the action of this command? BR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.diab
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

VM trap may work differently than a pure install trap.

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: That is the last reply I received from my instructor, and I'm looking for some alternatives. When using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newuser45
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trap command not working

Hi Folks - For some reason, my trap command is not working. It's placed just prior to a normal exit: #:: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ #::-- Script Name: LCM_Backup.sh #:: #::-- Description: This script leverages Utility.sh to perform LCM... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
16 Replies
logger(1)							   User Commands							 logger(1)

NAME
logger - add entries to the system log SYNOPSIS
logger [-i] [-f file] [-p priority] [-t tag] [message] ... DESCRIPTION
The logger command provides a method for adding one-line entries to the system log file from the command line. One or more message argu- ments can be given on the command line, in which case each is logged immediately. If this is unspecified, either the file indicated with -f or the standard input is added to the log. Otherwise, a file can be specified, in which case each line in the file is logged. If neither is specified, logger reads and logs messages on a line-by-line basis from the standard input. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -ffile Uses the contents of file as the message to log. -i Logs the process ID of the logger process with each line. -ppriority Enters the message with the specified priority. The message priority can be specified numerically, or as a facility.level pair. For example, `-p local3.info' assigns the message priority to the info level in the local3 facility. The default pri- ority is user.notice. -ttag Marks each line added to the log with the specified tag. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: message One of the string arguments whose contents are concatenated together, in the order specified, separated by single space charac- ters. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Examples of the logger command The following example: example% logger System rebooted logs the message `System rebooted' to the default priority level notice to be treated by syslogd as are other messages to the facility user. The next example: example% logger -p local0.notice -t HOSTIDM -f /dev/idmc reads from the file /dev/idmc and logs each line in that file as a message with the tag `HOSTIDM' at priority level notice to be treated by syslogd as are other messages to the facility local0. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of logger: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mailx(1), write(1), syslogd(1M), syslog(3C), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 1 Feb 1995 logger(1)