Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Testing the last character in a string Post 53177 by dbrundrett on Wednesday 7th of July 2004 10:52:24 AM
Old 07-07-2004
Can I ask you to tell me what each bit of this assignment does...
lastchr=${a#${a%?}}

What does 'a#' and 'a%?' do...

Thanks a lot

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing first character in a string

While writing a shell script i happen to store some value in a string. Lets say the value is 59788. Now in this script i want to get the value 9788 removing the first charater 5. The original string length usually remains constant. Is there a single line command to do this or any simple way to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npn
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: testing if string is a number

How do you test if a string is a number? Trying to do something like this: x="AS" if( x is not a number ); then x=0 fi Because I want to do number arithmetic with x. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eur0dad
3 Replies

3. Programming

converting character string to hex string

HI Hi I have a character string which contains some special characters and I need it to display as a hex string. For example, the sample i/p string: ×¥ïA Å gïÛý and the o/p should be : D7A5EF4100C5010067EFDBFD Any pointers or sample code pls. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting a character between string

i have a file contains like this: i want to create a script that will insert a comma "." after the 10th character so it would be look like this thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakid
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the last character of a string

How can I extract the last character of a string (withou knowing how many characters are in that string ! ) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annelisa
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn: How to loop through a string character by character

If I have a string defined as: MyString=abcde echo $MyString How can I loop through it character by character? I haven't been able to find a way to index the string so that I loop through it. shew01 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shew01
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

testing the last character

hi i try to test the last character in a variable (here $i ) assume i=kljlkjlkA it should be KO and lkjljjlT KO if then echo "ending with A" else echo "no A at the end" fi whether i is ending or not with A i got "no A at the end" i tried with simple [ double this is the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Testing for non-zero length string

Hello, can someone please explain to me why this happens: myserver#echo "$nothing" myserver#if ; then echo "nothing is a zero length string"; fi nothing is a zero length string myserver#if ; then echo "nothing is also a non-zero length string, apparently"; fi nothing is also a non-zero... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: longjon
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Testing the length of a string

Hello, Unix-Forums! Is there a command that can check how long a user-entered string is? Please don't give me a code, just the name of the command (playing around yourself is much more fun than just pasting code) edit: I'm sorry, first hit of the forum search gave me the answer. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: intelinside
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies
qmail-users(5)							File Formats Manual						    qmail-users(5)

NAME
qmail-users - assign mail addresses to users OVERVIEW
The file /var/lib/qmail/users/assign assigns addresses to users. For example, =joe.shmoe:joe:503:78:/home/joe::: says that mail for joe.shmoe should be delivered to user joe, with uid 503 and gid 78, as specified by /home/joe/.qmail. Assignments fed to qmail-newu will be used by qmail-lspawn to control qmail-local's deliveries. See qmail-newu(8). A change to /var/lib/qmail/users/assign will have no effect until qmail-newu is run. STRUCTURE
/var/lib/qmail/users/assign is a series of assignments, one per line. It ends with a line containing a single dot. Lines must not contain NUL. SIMPLE ASSIGNMENTS
A simple assignment is a line of the form =local:user:uid:gid:homedir:dash:ext: Here local is an address; user, uid, and gid are the account name, uid, and gid of the user in charge of local; and messages to local will be controlled by homedir/.qmaildashext. If there are several assignments for the same local address, qmail-lspawn will use the first one. local is interpreted without regard to case. WILDCARD ASSIGNMENTS
A wildcard assignment is a line of the form +loc:user:uid:gid:homedir:dash:pre: This assignment applies to any address beginning with loc, including loc itself. It means the same as =locext:user:uid:gid:homedir:dash:preext: for every string ext. A more specific wildcard assignment overrides a less specific assignment, and a simple assignment overrides any wildcard assignment. For example: +:alias:7790:2108:/var/lib/qmail/alias:-:: +joe-:joe:507:100:/home/joe:-:: =joe:joe:507:100:/home/joe::: The address joe is handled by the third line; the address joe-direct is handled by the second line; the address bill is handled by the first line. SEE ALSO
qmail-pw2u(8), qmail-newu(8), qmail-lspawn(8) qmail-users(5)