Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Password Recovery
Special Forums Cybersecurity Password Recovery Post 52666 by norsk hedensk on Wednesday 23rd of June 2004 11:35:04 AM
Old 06-23-2004
Password Recovery

Perderabo has made posted a good thread in the FAQ section here: Lost root password / Can't login as root | Unix Linux Forums | Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
This User Gave Thanks to norsk hedensk For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to password recovery on Ultrix

I got myself a dec 5100 running ultrix with unknow password, how do i recover or change the root password on it? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cybermike
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password recovery

We recently terminated a developer at my place of employment who created scripts on a windows server (that i do not have access to) that invoke FTP sessions on my UnixWare 7.1.1 servers. I need to know the password that is being used. Does anyone know of a good password crack? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rm -r *
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help for db password recovery

hi,all my database (.db) is created by sysbase adaptive server anywhere7.0 ! the user id is DBA. but I lost the password . Could you recovery the passwrod of this db file? thanks ! iwind (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: northwind
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password Recovery

Hi, I am new to unix and I set a password for a user and now I need to recover what that password was. Is there a way, where as root, I can view what a users passwords is? Thanks, Eric (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejbrever
2 Replies

5. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

password recovery

hello, my password got lost - and your service to generate new passwords does not work -ive tried it out 50 times the last week or so, never got a single mail from it... please generate a new password for my account "congo" with mailadress. thanks. Thomas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: congo00000001
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 password recovery plz HELP!!!!!

Hello board, I'm new to Solaris Linux world, trying to learn on my onw, as I notice the windows is a big fraud.... OK let me get to my issue: I have a SOlaris 8 X86 that I don;t have a password and even the screen is disabled(assuming for the security reasons) I just see a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexOne
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Password Recovery From /etc/shadow file

Is it possible to reset a normal user password , by editing password field in /etc/shadow file? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksvaisakh
6 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

password recovery

I am trying to access an old email account but cannot recall the password and the backup email account has been closed, also. I need instructions or an expert who can assist recovering my password for web-based email account. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pp_mcgee
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script for password recovery

Hi all, I'm a complete newbie to bash scripting, although I have some experience in programming. The thing is that I have a .dmg file on my mac which I protected with a password, and now I've forgotten it. I remember the first few letters of the password and the characters that represent the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujay.jauhar
4 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Password recovery in login script help

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi guys. My case study is about creating a script that includes password recovery whenever a user forgets... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jenimesh19
1 Replies
PAM_PWHISTORY(8)						 Linux-PAM Manual						  PAM_PWHISTORY(8)

NAME
pam_pwhistory - PAM module to remember last passwords SYNOPSIS
pam_pwhistory.so [debug] [use_authtok] [enforce_for_root] [remember=N] [retry=N] [authtok_type=STRING] DESCRIPTION
This module saves the last passwords for each user in order to force password change history and keep the user from alternating between the same password too frequently. This module does not work together with kerberos. In general, it does not make much sense to use this module in conjunction with NIS or LDAP, since the old passwords are stored on the local machine and are not available on another machine for password history checking. OPTIONS
debug Turns on debugging via syslog(3). use_authtok When password changing enforce the module to use the new password provided by a previously stacked password module (this is used in the example of the stacking of the pam_cracklib module documented below). enforce_for_root If this option is set, the check is enforced for root, too. remember=N The last N passwords for each user are saved in /etc/security/opasswd. The default is 10. Value of 0 makes the module to keep the existing contents of the opasswd file unchanged. retry=N Prompt user at most N times before returning with error. The default is 1. authtok_type=STRING See pam_get_authtok(3) for more details. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the password module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_AUTHTOK_ERR No new password was entered, the user aborted password change or new password couldn't be set. PAM_IGNORE Password history was disabled. PAM_MAXTRIES Password was rejected too often. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User is not known to system. EXAMPLES
An example password section would be: #%PAM-1.0 password required pam_pwhistory.so password required pam_unix.so use_authtok In combination with pam_cracklib: #%PAM-1.0 password required pam_cracklib.so retry=3 password required pam_pwhistory.so use_authtok password required pam_unix.so use_authtok FILES
/etc/security/opasswd File with password history SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8)pam_get_authtok(3) AUTHOR
pam_pwhistory was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@thkukuk.de> Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 PAM_PWHISTORY(8)