Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: listing users and groups
Operating Systems Linux listing users and groups Post 52355 by djsal on Wednesday 16th of June 2004 12:04:51 PM
Old 06-16-2004
Users are in /etc/passwd....

cat /etc/passwd | awk -F: '{print $1" ---> "$4}'

will return all users and which group they are in.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Users and groups

Hi, Is it possible that one user belongs to many groups, or the relation of user/group is 1/1?. Thanks Ramón (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsanz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

users and groups

hi eveyone i've recently requested my unix admin to create a userid for 2 groups. He created the id and i can see it by grep "id" /etc/group. But when i login with that id into unix and try to cd that group it says permission denied. something like cd /groupname -- permission denied Can my admin... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sammet
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding out all users and their UNIX groups??

Is there a way to find out all users and the UNIX groups they belong to?? :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Defaults number of users and Groups

Hi All, I would like know how many of default number of users and groups are there in solaris-10... Regards Tirupathi Raju (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathiraju_t
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Removing users from groups

How do I remove a user from a group? I'm using the usermod command but its not working. I have a user "abc" who is a member of the groups root and other. I'm trying to remove him from the group "other" (using CLI) which is his secondary group but it's not working. How do I do this? Is there any... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_red_dove
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List users and groups

Hi I am new to unix so hopefully someone can help. I need to list all the users I have in my unix enviroment (AIX) and the groups (primary and secondary) they belong to. Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m3y
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

users and groups /etc/group parsing

Hi, I have two little issues: 1) there is possible in sh to create a function who return a boolean value? 2)i have to verify if an user belongs to a group and i think it is needed to create a function which take two parameter and return a boolean value. in fact i have to parse /etc/group... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalint
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Users in multiple groups?

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!! I have a question about adding users to multiple groups. Thanks in advance Using Red Hat and here are the issues: Example: Users: Bob Mark Groups: SystemsAnalysts BusinessAnalysts If I am adding a user Bob to both groups (SystemsAnalysts and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansokl
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating groups and users

Hi Could anyone please suggest how we can check in Linux if a user or a group name is already existing? In case of a user the command should also be able to specify the user with a given directory and shell. We can of course check this using a grep command but since that is just a pattern match,... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dorothy
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Email the users about their existing groups

Hi Guys, I want a script where in I need to send an email to individual users about their groups. OS:unix redhat Shell :Bash. The mail should be like,"Hi &username , you are in part of &group1,&group2 .." I need to mail to their personal email id mostly @outlook. Not to their UNIX.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijay2107
1 Replies
groups(1)							   User Commands							 groups(1)

NAME
groups - print group membership of user SYNOPSIS
groups [user...] DESCRIPTION
The command groups prints on standard output the groups to which you or the optionally specified user belong. Each user belongs to a group specified in /etc/passwd and possibly to other groups as specified in /etc/group. Note that /etc/passwd specifies the numerical ID (gid) of the group. The groups command converts gid to the group name in the output. EXAMPLES
The output takes the following form: example% groups tester01 tester02 tester01 : staff tester02 : staff example% FILES
/etc/passwd /etc/group ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
group(4), passwd(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 groups(1)