Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Network Install PXE/BootP/TFTP Post 51953 by kwalick on Sunday 6th of June 2004 11:34:25 AM
Old 06-06-2004
Network Install PXE/BootP/TFTP

Im trying to help my professor at school, were trying to setup a linux server, that is configured with bootp/tftp/PXE. the client computer NICs have support to boot off PXE. What we would like to do is if a client computer does not have an OS, it would boot off the server, and display a menu to the end user, the menu will display a list of Operating Systems to install on the local system, including Slackware, Redhat, Mandrake, Freebsd, Windows 2000, etc. The end user just has to pick one and it will bring up the installation of that OS on the local computer and will get all the files that it needs to install from the file server, the file server will be running samba, nfs, ftp, httpd. How would i go about setting this type of envroment up. thankyou =)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bootp/tftp

Hi, Setting up print queue, using SMIT on AIX And I have an option saying do I wish to make this a BOOTP/TFTP server. What exactly does this do? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

HPUX -- Network Install

I have a HP box (PA RISC) rp3440. The machine does not have a CD-ROM. I need to re-install the OS. Basically a network install... How did I do a network install? Anybody know of a document for Network Installs for a HPUX 11.23? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: truejack
1 Replies

3. SCO

Network PXE load for SCO 5.0.6

I have a Dell 1850 and trying to load OS and my applications using PXE. How can I stage new servers using Network drive. Want to move away from Tape and go towards network load. Thx Sean. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: smoaref
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Install Solaris 10 through network

Hi all, I got a Fujitsu P650 server running on Solaris 9 and we are going to re-install Solaris 10 . W have a build server in a different IP segment. So we setup a boot server and /etc/ethers and /etc/bootparams are all updated. When I issue boot net -install, I'm getting the following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohzub
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to install a network card

Hey guys, Sorry, this question might look stupid but I have no idea how to install a network card. My server is a Dell PowerEdge T105 with Debian 5.0 Lenny. My network card is a Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5722 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express. I've plugged the card innside my server and I can see... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Install over network

Hello, I have a desktop with ubuntu installed and i want to install ubuntu also to the laptop over network. I have an iso image of the ubuntu and i want to use this as install source. So i installed tftpd-hpa apache2 and dhcp3-server. mkdir /var/lib/tftpboot/ubuntu mount - o loop ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
2 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Disable up2date --register during PXE install

Hi folks, I really hope someone can help me (soon :) ) as I can't work out what I'm doing wrong and google is not helpful either. Basically I have to setup 20 Dell servers with RHEL 4.8 (no, not 5, must be 4.8). Of course I have tftp and I'm trying to install them via nfs with kickstart and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: columb
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Disable up2date --register during PXE install

Hi, I really hope someone can help me (soon :) ) as I can't work out what I'm doing wrong and google is not helpful either. Basically I have to setup 20 Dell servers with RHEL 4.8 (no, not 5, must be 4.8). Of course I have tftp and I'm trying to install them via nfs with kickstart and PXE. OS... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: columb
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Bootp/tftp issue neeeeeed help plz

i find a solution (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shady_2005
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Using VM for Network Install Failing

If this question has been answered, please provide a link. We have several Old Solaris stations that don't have a DVD but a CD. We are required to upgrade the OS on these systems from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10, and since Solaris 10 no longer provides CD's we were thinking of doing a network... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wrongway
3 Replies
TFTP-PROXY(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     TFTP-PROXY(8)

NAME
tftp-proxy -- Internet Trivial File Transfer Protocol proxy SYNOPSIS
tftp-proxy [-v] [-w transwait] DESCRIPTION
tftp-proxy is a proxy for the Internet Trivial File Transfer Protocol invoked by the inetd(8) internet server. TFTP connections should be redirected to the proxy using the pf(4) rdr command, after which the proxy connects to the server on behalf of the client. The proxy establishes a pf(4) rdr rule using the anchor facility to rewrite packets between the client and the server. Once the rule is established, tftp-proxy forwards the initial request from the client to the server to begin the transfer. After transwait seconds, the pf(4) NAT state is assumed to have been established and the rdr rule is deleted and the program exits. Once the transfer between the client and the server is completed, the NAT state will naturally expire. Assuming the TFTP command request is from $client to $server, the proxy connected to the server using the $proxy source address, and $port is negotiated, tftp-proxy adds the following rule to the anchor: rdr proto udp from $server to $proxy port $port -> $client The options are as follows: -v Log the connection and request information to syslogd(8). -w transwait Number of seconds to wait for the data transmission to begin before removing the pf(4) rdr rule. The default is 2 seconds. CONFIGURATION
To make use of the proxy, pf.conf(5) needs the following rules. The anchors are mandatory. Adjust the rules as needed for your configura- tion. In the NAT section: nat on $ext_if from $int_if -> ($ext_if:0) no nat on $ext_if to port tftp rdr-anchor "tftp-proxy/*" rdr on $int_if proto udp from $lan to any port tftp -> 127.0.0.1 port 6969 In the filter section, an anchor must be added to hold the pass rules: anchor "tftp-proxy/*" inetd(8) must be configured to spawn the proxy on the port that packets are being forwarded to by pf(4). An example inetd.conf(5) entry fol- lows: 127.0.0.1:6969 dgram udp wait root /usr/libexec/tftp-proxy tftp-proxy SEE ALSO
tftp(1), pf(4), pf.conf(5), ftp-proxy(8), inetd(8), syslogd(8), tftpd(8) CAVEATS
tftp-proxy chroots to /var/chroot/tftp-proxy and changes to user ``_proxy'' to drop privileges. BSD
May 31, 2007 BSD