Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I use a variable in sed? Post 51679 by tromag on Thursday 27th of May 2004 05:55:16 PM
Old 05-27-2004
Computer

Thanks for excelent answers !! It works....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doing a sed on a variable help !

Hi, So what I'm trying to do is I have these variables and if they have a dot in them , I want everyting before and including the dot removed. Any ideas ? Something like this I would want : $var = $var | sed 's/.*\.//' but that does't work. I want to save that removal $var... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seaten
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed (variable)

HOw can I use any variable in sed command. For example I am using 'sed -e 's/?/$ORACLE_HOME/g' $file_name Here it replaces ? with $ORACLE_HOME. Instead of it I need actual value of $ORACLE_HOME. How can I do that? Please advice. Thanks in advance. Malay (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with a variable

Hi, My shell script searches a VALUE in a file, copies it to a variable and updates a line in another file with this new VALUE (replacing the old) The value has a pattern- VALUE=`$$MyDate=11-11-2008 09.09.56.123456` (yes the $ - . = and space are all part of the string) I am having... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngagemaniac
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using variable in sed

i need to use a value in the Variable to print a particular line from a file using sed command. i tried the below one but its is not working sed -n ' "$var"p ' abc.txt but its is not working please help me to sort out this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kochu77
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expand an environment variable in sed, when the variable contains a slash

I'm trying to make a sed substitution where the substitution pattern is an environment variable to be expanded, but the variable contains a "slash". sed -e 's/<HOME_DIRECTORY>/'$HOME'/'This gives me the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unknown option to `s'Obviously this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with variable

Hi Friends in sed whether we can use variable.like the following expression. sed -i 's/ABC/$var/g' filename I am using Kernel 2.6.18-194.11.1.el5 RedHat linux. I have tried sed -i 's/ABC/"$var"/g' filename, still not working.:( Please help. Thanks in advance Joy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsjoy2u
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use the variable in sed?

version=git release=r8 echo lp-testsuite-git-r8.x86_64.rpm |sed -e "s/-$version-$release.*//g" I want to get lp-testsuite what's wrong with me ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies
JSONBOT(1)							    jsb manual								JSONBOT(1)

NAME
JSONBOT - The JSON everywhere bot! SYNOPSIS
JSONBOT is a remote event-driven framework for building bots that talk JSON to each other over XMPP. This manual page documents briefly the jsb distribution.. DESCRIPTION
This distribution provides bots built on this framework for console, IRC, XMPP, Convore and WWW on the shell. USAGE
JSONBOT uses command line options to configure a bot. See the --help option to get more help on a command options or see the corresponding man page. the jsb pakage contains the following programs: * jsb - console version of jsb * jsb-backup - create backup of JSONBOT datadir * jsb-convore - convore version of jsb * jsb-init - create data directory and config examples, default ~/.jsb * jsb-irc - IRC version of jsb * jsb-fleet - mix IRC and XMPP bots * jsb-sed - sed a whole directory * jsb-stop - stop a running bot * jsb-tornado - a shell web server based on tornado * jsb-udp - send udp packets to the bot that will relay the data * jsb-xmpp - XMPP version of jsb note: JSONBOT is in BETA stage right now and still subject to change of protocols and API. see http://jsonbot.googlecode.com. see https://jsonbot.org for documentation on the bot. SEE ALSO
The program is documented fully on http://jsonbot.org or see http://jsonbot.googlecode.com SEE ALSO
jsb(1), jsb-backup(1), jsb-init(1), jsb-irc(1), jsb-xmpp(1), jsb-fleet(1), jsb-tornado(1), jsb-stop(1), jsb-udp(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bart Thate <bthate@gmail.com>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Debian GNU/Linux 22 Nov 2011 JSONBOT(1)