Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I use a variable in sed? Post 51669 by Perderabo on Thursday 27th of May 2004 04:15:15 PM
Old 05-27-2004
For starters, you can switch to double quotes:

sed "s/mytext/$var/"

Sometimes that does not work. It would depend on the exact value of mytext. So another solution is to turn the single quoted string into two single quoted strings:

sed 's/mytext/'$var'/'

In this case, the 2nd single quoted string is '/'. Just using a backslash would work to that and it saves a character:

sed 's/mytext/'$var\/

There is actually no reason to quote a slash so this should also work with most shells:

sed 's/mytext/'$var/

And there may be no reason to quote anything at all, but again, the actual vakue of mytext determines this. So this may work:

sed s/mytext/$var/

Opps...you only wanted a solution, so I'll quit now....Smilie
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to Perderabo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doing a sed on a variable help !

Hi, So what I'm trying to do is I have these variables and if they have a dot in them , I want everyting before and including the dot removed. Any ideas ? Something like this I would want : $var = $var | sed 's/.*\.//' but that does't work. I want to save that removal $var... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seaten
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed (variable)

HOw can I use any variable in sed command. For example I am using 'sed -e 's/?/$ORACLE_HOME/g' $file_name Here it replaces ? with $ORACLE_HOME. Instead of it I need actual value of $ORACLE_HOME. How can I do that? Please advice. Thanks in advance. Malay (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with a variable

Hi, My shell script searches a VALUE in a file, copies it to a variable and updates a line in another file with this new VALUE (replacing the old) The value has a pattern- VALUE=`$$MyDate=11-11-2008 09.09.56.123456` (yes the $ - . = and space are all part of the string) I am having... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngagemaniac
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using variable in sed

i need to use a value in the Variable to print a particular line from a file using sed command. i tried the below one but its is not working sed -n ' "$var"p ' abc.txt but its is not working please help me to sort out this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kochu77
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expand an environment variable in sed, when the variable contains a slash

I'm trying to make a sed substitution where the substitution pattern is an environment variable to be expanded, but the variable contains a "slash". sed -e 's/<HOME_DIRECTORY>/'$HOME'/'This gives me the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unknown option to `s'Obviously this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with variable

Hi Friends in sed whether we can use variable.like the following expression. sed -i 's/ABC/$var/g' filename I am using Kernel 2.6.18-194.11.1.el5 RedHat linux. I have tried sed -i 's/ABC/"$var"/g' filename, still not working.:( Please help. Thanks in advance Joy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsjoy2u
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use the variable in sed?

version=git release=r8 echo lp-testsuite-git-r8.x86_64.rpm |sed -e "s/-$version-$release.*//g" I want to get lp-testsuite what's wrong with me ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)