Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I use a variable in sed? Post 51668 by tromag on Thursday 27th of May 2004 03:39:31 PM
Old 05-27-2004
How can I use a variable in sed?

Hi
I'm trying to change a part of a line with sed. Usually I will run
sed 's/mytext/mynewtext/'

Now I have a variable: var=mynewtext

sed 's/mytext/$var/' does not work. I have also tried to protect the $ with different characters but it still does'nt work.

I will be very happy if someone has a solution to this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doing a sed on a variable help !

Hi, So what I'm trying to do is I have these variables and if they have a dot in them , I want everyting before and including the dot removed. Any ideas ? Something like this I would want : $var = $var | sed 's/.*\.//' but that does't work. I want to save that removal $var... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seaten
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed (variable)

HOw can I use any variable in sed command. For example I am using 'sed -e 's/?/$ORACLE_HOME/g' $file_name Here it replaces ? with $ORACLE_HOME. Instead of it I need actual value of $ORACLE_HOME. How can I do that? Please advice. Thanks in advance. Malay (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with a variable

Hi, My shell script searches a VALUE in a file, copies it to a variable and updates a line in another file with this new VALUE (replacing the old) The value has a pattern- VALUE=`$$MyDate=11-11-2008 09.09.56.123456` (yes the $ - . = and space are all part of the string) I am having... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngagemaniac
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using variable in sed

i need to use a value in the Variable to print a particular line from a file using sed command. i tried the below one but its is not working sed -n ' "$var"p ' abc.txt but its is not working please help me to sort out this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kochu77
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expand an environment variable in sed, when the variable contains a slash

I'm trying to make a sed substitution where the substitution pattern is an environment variable to be expanded, but the variable contains a "slash". sed -e 's/<HOME_DIRECTORY>/'$HOME'/'This gives me the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unknown option to `s'Obviously this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with variable

Hi Friends in sed whether we can use variable.like the following expression. sed -i 's/ABC/$var/g' filename I am using Kernel 2.6.18-194.11.1.el5 RedHat linux. I have tried sed -i 's/ABC/"$var"/g' filename, still not working.:( Please help. Thanks in advance Joy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsjoy2u
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use the variable in sed?

version=git release=r8 echo lp-testsuite-git-r8.x86_64.rpm |sed -e "s/-$version-$release.*//g" I want to get lp-testsuite what's wrong with me ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies
h5jam(1)						      General Commands Manual							  h5jam(1)

NAME
h5jam - Add a user block to a HDF5 file SYNOPSIS
h5jam -u user_block -i in_file.h5 [-o out_file.h5] [--clobber] DESCRIPTION
h5jam concatenates a user_block file and an HDF5 file to create an HDF5 file with a user block. The user block can be either binary or text. The output file is padded so that the HDF5 header begins on byte 512, 1024, etc.. (See the HDF5 File Format.) If out_file.h5 is given, a new file is created with the user_block followed by the contents of in_file.h5. In this case, infile.h5 is unchanged. If out_file.h5 is not specified, the user_block is added to in_file.h5. If in_file.h5 already has a user block, the contents of user_block will be added to the end of the existing user block, and the file shifted to the next boundary. If --clobber is set, any existing user block will be overwritten. EXAMPLE USAGE
Create new file, newfile.h5, with the text in file mytext.txt as the user block for the HDF5 file file.h5. h5jam -u mytext.txt -i file.h5 -o newfile.h5 Add text in file mytext.txt to front of HDF5 dataset, file.h5. h5jam -u mytext.txt -i file.h5 Overwrite the user block (if any) in file.h5 with the contents of mytext.txt. h5jam -u mytext.txt -i file.h5 --clobber RETURN VALUE
h5jam returns the size of the output file, or -1 if an error occurs. CAVEATS
This tool copies all the data (sequentially) in the file(s) to new offsets. For a large file, this copy will take a long time. The most efficient way to create a user block is to create the file with a user block (see H5Pset_user_block), and write the user block data into that space from a program. The user block is completely opaque to the HDF5 library and to the h5jam and h5unjam tools. The user block is simply read or written as a string of bytes, which could be text or any kind of binary data. It is up to the user to know what the contents of the user block means and how to process it. When the user block is extracted, all the data is written to the output, including any padding or unwritten data. This tool moves the HDF5 file through byte copies, i.e., it does not read or interpret the HDF5 objects. SEE ALSO
h5dump(1), h5ls(1), h5diff(1), h5import(1), gif2h5(1), h52gif(1), h5perf(1), h5unjam(1). h5jam(1)