Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to save files?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to save files? Post 49383 by HOUSCOUS on Wednesday 31st of March 2004 11:08:01 PM
Old 04-01-2004
when you enter the command mode, you can also use w option to write into the file, and vi could automaticly save it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

can I save list of files in memory and not in text file?

Hello all im using allot with the method of getting file list from misc place in unix and copy them into text file and then doing misc action on this list of files using foreach f (`cat file_list.txt`) do something with $f end can I replace this file_list.txt with some place in memory? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to save files in /tmp????

Hi all, I would like to know how to save files in /tmp... I was interested in knowing this because when ever i booted into solaris there would already be a few files present in /tmp.however any file that is freshly stored in would be lost on reboot... can anyone answer this pls!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop through lines and save into separate files

I have two files: file-gene_families.txt that contains 30,000 rows of 30 columns. Column 1 is the ID column and contains the Col1 Col2 Col3 ... One gene-encoded CBPs ABC 111 ... One gene-encoded CBPs ABC 222 ... One gene-encoded CBPs ABC 212 ... Two gene encoded CBPs EFC... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search information in multiple files and save in new files

hi everyone, im stuck in here with shell :) can you help me?? i have a directory with alot files (genbank files ... all ended in .gbk ) more than 1000 for sure ... and i want to read each one of them and search for some information and if i found the right one i save in new file with new... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andreia
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A simpler way to do this (save a list of files based on part of their name)

Hello, I have a script that checks every file with a specific extension in a specific directory. The file names contain some numerical output and I am recording the file names with the best n outcomes. The script finds all files in the directory with the extension .out.txt and uses awk to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save files in directory as txt

wget -x -i link.txt The above downloads and create unique entries for the 97 links in the text file. However, each new file is saved as CM080 with a FILE extention. Is there a way to convert each file in that directory to a .txt? The 97 files are in... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save value from output of Corestat and save in a list for each core

I am trying to modify the "corestat v1.1" code which is in Perl.The typical output of this code is below: Core Utilization CoreId %Usr %Sys %Total ------ ----- ----- ------ 5 4.91 0.01 4.92 6 0.06 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zam_1234
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to download specific files and save in two folders

I am trying to download all files from a user authentication, password protected https site, with a particular extension (.bam). The files are ~20GB each and I am not sure if the below is the best way to do it. I am also not sure how to direct the downloaded files to a folder as well as external... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to save current day files only?

i want to save current day file daily for this is am using below command. cp -p $(ls -lrt | grep "Apr 15" | awk '{print $9}' in order to script this part, i am saving date output in a file using below command date | awk '{print $2,$3}' >>t1 thru below command i want to list the file of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dig and concatenate all files yesterday then save it to another directory

I dont want to use for loop since it is using a lot of resources especially to a thousand files. Wanting to have a while? or something will find files that has been modifed or created yesteraday. View it. And search for soemthing and save it to a certain folder. for i in `find ./ -mtime... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
3 Replies
gnome-session-save(1)						   User Commands					     gnome-session-save(1)

NAME
gnome-session-save - saves or terminates the current GNOME session SYNOPSIS
gnome-session-save [--kill] [--gui] [gnome-std-options] DESCRIPTION
gnome-session-save can be used from a GNOME session to save a snapshot of the currently running applications. This session will be restored at your next GNOME startup session. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --gui Shows a dialog when the session is saved, and reports errors in dialog boxes instead of printing to stderr. --kill Terminates the GNOME session. gnome-std-optionStandard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Saving the user's current session example% gnome-session-save Example 2: Terminating the user's current session example% gnome-session-save --kill Example 3: Using the GUI to terminate the user's current session example% gnome-session-save --kill --gui EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-session-sThe command-line executable for the application. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-session | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnome-std-options(5), default.session(5), gnome-smproxy(1), gnome-session(1) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 13 Jan 2003 gnome-session-save(1)