Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Backup with shell program and cron job. Post 48606 by Optimus_P on Thursday 11th of March 2004 09:42:08 AM
Old 03-11-2004
it helps if you list the errors you get when it is run via cron.

most likly it is your env settings.

do a search on the boards for cron and env we get questions of this nature pretty offten.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON-Job / Shell-Skript deleting special files

Just I'm trying to find script, which will do the following job: 1. as a CRON-Job it shoult a) delete files which will be either older than 24 hours or b) all files within a) a directory deleting recursive b) only a special directory. 2. write an error-/Delete_log... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ManfredWL
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script run by user or cron job ?

My shell script runs fine both as a cron job and when i issue it. However, I wish to differentiate when it runs as a cron-job so the "echo" statements are not issued (they get mailed to me, which i don't want). I tried checking $USER but since the cron was created in my user that does not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentinel
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron job - shell code correction

Hi I have a website that is having problem with cron jobs... I have a cron job set up to go to a page with this code... <? include('config.php'); if($_sys->bible_email_frequency == 'DAILY') { $u = new user(); $u->send_bible_email(); } ?> If i send my browser to this page... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whybelieve
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job shell script..

Hey Guys, i was trying out a shell script which has to remove a file for every 90 mins. this is the code i came up with . $ crontab -e file1 file1 contains 30 1 * * * * rm -r /folder1/folder2/somefile.txt Now i need the cron to run for every 90 mins. the problem with this is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check mail backup cron job

i have just installed a cron job to run at 3 in the morning once a week. It's difficult for me to test if it works because the email backup program takes the email service down before running the backup. I wondered if i could ask you gurus if this would work? 0 3 * * 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: timgolding
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Shell Script gives error when run through cron job.

Hi, The following shell script runs without any problem when executed manulally. USED=$(df -h /arch | tail -1 | awk '{print $5}' | cut -d '%' -f 1) if then find /arch/AUBUAT/ -type f -mtime +0 | xargs rm find /arch/AUBMIG/ -type f -mtime +0 | xargs rm fi But the same gives below... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksadiq79
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron job for the created shell script

Hi am newbie for unix shell.. how to create a cron job for my already created shell script.:confused: Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron job and running program

Dear experts, I have this cronjob * */2 * * * $path/supervisor.sh The supervisor script is checking another script, which initializes the final scripts in multiple directories. Note that the supervisor script runs without the cronjob. In each directory, I have the following script: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To refire a backup job using shell scripting..........

how to write a code using shell scripting to refire a back up job if it fails with an error code of 196? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pawan Ramnani
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON JOB not running - for tape backup from root user

I am trying a cron on root user to backup to tape using TAR command here is the cron entry 11 08 * * 6 /erdhot1cron 2>&1 >> /test3/scripts/dba/erdhot1cron.log here is script inside - edhot1cron #!/bin/bash vsysdt=`date +%d%m%y` date tar -cvf /dev/st0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaymec50
4 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)