Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: nested read
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting nested read Post 48404 by Perderabo on Friday 5th of March 2004 01:33:39 PM
Old 03-05-2004
read ANSWER < /dev/tty

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested while read line loop

Hi, Can anyone please help me: i'm trying to read a file with directory-names , then go to that directory and read another (output) file to perform some tasks per line (second read line in the part of script below). The problem is that after the nested while loop has finished, the first while... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakker
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested Symlinks?

Please don't laugh or call me a fool... I'm trying to set up a script that will go through my Music File directory and generate a set of symbolic links in a directory called "What's New". Within that directory there will be a "30 Days", "3 Months", "6 Months" and "A Year" directories. Within... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

while read loop w/ a nested if statement - doesn't treat each entry individually

Hi - Trying to take a list of ldap suffixes in a file, run an ldapsearch command on them, then run a grep command to see if it's a match, if not, then flag that and send an email alert. The list file (ldaplist) would look like - *********** o=company a o=company b *********** **... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlefrog
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

nested for loops

I need help getting over this bump on how nested for loops work in shell. Say i was comparing files in a directory in any other language my for loop would look like so for(int i=0;to then end; i++) for(int y = i+1; to the end; y++) I can't seem to understand how i can translate that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: taiL
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nested If statement within Do / Done

Hi all! I'm really hoping you can help me out here; now i have searched and searched and have at least worked out that you can't have a nested if statement with a 'done' in it (as i have) as you're killing the parent before the child. So here's what i have, and here's hoping someone can help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dalgibbard
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Faster than nested while read loops?

Hi experts, I just want to know if there is a better solution to my nested while read loops below: while read line; do while read line2; do while read line3; do echo "$line $line2 $line3" done < file3.txt done < file2.txt done < file1.txt >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chstr_14
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize the nested IF

Hi, I have to assign a value for a varaiable based on a Input. I have written the below code: if then nf=65 elif then nf=46 elif then nf=164 elif then nf=545 elif then nf=56 elif then (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested ifs

hi I keep getting an error with this nested if statement and am getting the error unexpected end of file, can anyone help me as to why this wont execute? #!/bin/bash #script to check wether the -i -v statements run correctly removeFile () { mv $1 $HOME/deleted }... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: somersetdan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested if else

Hi, i m trying to create script which logic is like below. if ; then x=`cat /tmp/testoutput.log | grep STOP | wc -l` y=`cat /tmp/testoutput.log | grep RUN | wc -l` if ; then echo "process stop" if ; then echo "process running " else echo "file not found" fi ----------------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tapia
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Nested If

I am having a problem with a nested if. I am sure I am overlooking something. I check for the existence of $Pidfl3 and it exists, o this condition I then want to check for the existence of a next file and remove it. The first if is executed, but on the second if I get test: argument expected. My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Charles Swart
4 Replies
rsh(1c) 																   rsh(1c)

Name
       rsh - remote shell

Syntax
       rsh host [-l username] [-n] command
       host [-l username] [-n] command

Description
       The  command  connects to the specified host, and executes the specified command.  The command copies its standard input to the remote com-
       mand, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error.
       Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command.  The command normally terminates when the remote command does.

The  remote  username  used is the same as your local username, unless you specify a different remote name with the -l option.  This remote
       name must be equivalent, in the sense of to the originating account.  No provision is made for specifying a password with a command.

If you omit command, then instead of executing a single command, you are logged in on the remote host using

Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted  metacharacters  are  interpreted  on  the  remote
       machine.  Thus the command

rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile

appends the remote file remotefile to the localfile localfile, while

rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" otherremotefile

appends remotefile to otherremotefile.

Host  names are given in the file Each host has one standard name (the first name given in the file), which is rather long and unambiguous,
       and optionally one or more nicknames.  The host names for local machines are also commands in the directory If you put  this  directory	in
       your search path then the can be omitted.

Options
       -l username	   Logs you in as the specified user, not as your user login name.

-n		   Redirects all command input to

Restrictions
       The  command  is  confused by output generated by commands in a .cshrc file on the remote host.	In particular, `where are you?' and `stty:
       Can't assign requested address' are messages which can result if output is generated by the startup file.

If you are using and put a in the background without redirecting its input away from the terminal, it blocks even if no reads are posted by
       the remote command.  If no input is desired you should redirect the input of to using the -n option.

You cannot run an interactive command like Use

Stop signals stop the local process only.

Files
       /etc/hosts
       /usr/hosts/*

See Also
       rlogin(1c)

rsh(1c)