Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Telnet/Rsh
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Telnet/Rsh Post 4782 by DPAI on Tuesday 31st of July 2001 10:14:26 AM
Old 07-31-2001
I think so its available . I mean its not commented in the inetd.conf file.
This is wat i get
% telnet rms
Trying 141.221.66.45...
Connected to rms.
Escape character is '^]'.

SunOS 5.8

Connection closed by foreign host

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with rsh

I am trying to run a Perl script using rsh. I need to be able to capture the return code value, so the calling script can handle failures properly. I cannot modify the Perl script I need to run because we use it for all of our servers. Does anyone have a suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kscase
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help on rsh

hi friends, i've access to three machines mc1,mc2,mc3,on which i can log in as root. and in order to run a simple command on a remote machine(say remote) on which i cant log in,i use a command as; # rsh remote ls the above runs properly but if i do an ls on following it doesnt work # rsh mc2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mxms755
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Can ftp but not telnet/ssh/rsh

Hi , I have a Solaris 9 machine in which I can ftp but telnet/rsh/ssh is not working, although it was working before. I cannot also log in through the console. I get the banner for telnet but it kicks me out. Any ideas? rte (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
2 Replies

4. Linux

Help in RSH

Hi All, I want to execute a command from my Windows machine to Linux machine. d:> rsh <Linux machine add> -l <user_name> pwd>dir in linux machine users home directory in .rhosts file I entered the windows machine IP address and user name. In linux etc/hosts.equiv file I entered the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rsh

Hi All, I want to execute a command from my Windows machine to Linux machine using RSH only d:> rsh <Linux machine add> -l <user_name> pwd>dir in linux machine users home directory in .rhosts file I entered the windows machine IP address and user name. In linux etc/hosts.equiv file I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Webpage to Telnet via Perl and Expect: Telnet problem?

Somewhat long story: I have a simple Perl CGI script that uses Expect to Telnet to a device and grab some data, and then spits it back to Perl for display on the Webpage. This works for many devices I've tried, but one device just fails, it keeps rejecting the password on this device, only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jondo
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatically login in the telnet from present telnet

Hi, I was writing one script which includes to switch to the another telnet automatically from the present telnet server. I was using rlogin but firstly it takes the same user name of the present telnet and secondly it is prompting for the password. But i want to switch to the another telnet... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference Between Krb5-telnet And Ekrb5-telnet

Hi, I want to know the difference between these two services. Both are under xinetd. Both are used for enabling and disabling Telnet service. So, can somebody please explain me the difference between the two ? Thanks in advance :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
0 Replies

9. AIX

Telnet or rsh takes too much time

telnet or rsh or ftp to an AIX machine takes too much time, like have to wait 3 minutes before the prompt appears. What can I look to troubleshoot this problem thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
4 Replies

10. AIX

RCP slow down and blocks login, telnet, rsh, etc on target server

Hello I have a LPAR AIX 6.1 on Power VM, Vio 2.2.3 and when I execute a rcp to this machine, I cant, simultaneosly, rlogin, telnet, rsh to this same LPARt. This commands stay hanged till the copy end, and Imeddiatlely the comand is executed (rlogin, telnet, rhs, etc). Someone can give me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: artur_dietrich
1 Replies
HOSTS.EQUIV(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    HOSTS.EQUIV(5)

NAME
hosts.equiv, .rhosts -- trusted remote hosts and host-user pairs DESCRIPTION
The hosts.equiv and .rhosts files list hosts and users which are ``trusted'' by the local host when a connection is made via rlogind(8), rshd(8), or any other server that uses ruserok(3). This mechanism bypasses password checks, and is required for access via rsh(1). Each line of these files has the format: hostname [username] The hostname may be specified as a host name (typically a fully qualified host name in a DNS environment) or address, ``+@netgroup'' (from which only the host names are checked), or a ``+'' wildcard (allow all hosts). The username, if specified, may be given as a user name on the remote host, ``+@netgroup'' (from which only the user names are checked), or a ``+'' wildcard (allow all remote users). If a username is specified, only that user from the specified host may login to the local machine. If a username is not specified, any user may login with the same user name. EXAMPLES
somehost A common usage: users on somehost may login to the local host as the same user name. somehost username The user username on somehost may login to the local host. If specified in /etc/hosts.equiv, the user may login with only the same user name. +@anetgroup username The user username may login to the local host from any machine listed in the netgroup anetgroup. + + + Two severe security hazards. In the first case, allows a user on any machine to login to the local host as the same user name. In the second case, allows any user on any machine to login to the local host (as any user, if in /etc/hosts.equiv). WARNINGS
The username checks provided by this mechanism are not secure, as the remote user name is received by the server unchecked for validity. Therefore this mechanism should only be used in an environment where all hosts are completely trusted. A numeric host address instead of a host name can help security considerations somewhat; the address is then used directly by iruserok(3). When a username (or netgroup, or +) is specified in /etc/hosts.equiv, that user (or group of users, or all users, respectively) may login to the local host as any local user. Usernames in /etc/hosts.equiv should therefore be used with extreme caution, or not at all. A .rhosts file must be owned by the user whose home directory it resides in, and must be writable only by that user. Logins as root only check root's .rhosts file; the /etc/hosts.equiv file is not checked for security. Access permitted through root's .rhosts file is typically only for rsh(1), as root must still login on the console for an interactive login such as rlogin(1). FILES
/etc/hosts.equiv Global trusted host-user pairs list ~/.rhosts Per-user trusted host-user pairs list SEE ALSO
rcp(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1), rcmd(3), ruserok(3), netgroup(5) HISTORY
The .rhosts file format appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
The ruserok(3) implementation currently skips negative entries (preceded with a ``-'' sign) and does not treat them as ``short-circuit'' neg- ative entries. BSD
November 26, 1997 BSD