Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ? question mark, how to get back to the root directory Post 47209 by jsilva on Thursday 5th of February 2004 05:14:50 AM
Old 02-05-2004
Hi,

I think you're not on the MAIL directory, but on the mail program... the question mark is the mail program prompt... just write q ( quit ) and it'll exit...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trailing question mark in filename

I have a script(ex.sh) with one line in it, running in bash shell. ls -l > /usr/ngasi/contexts/tdevoe/private/ex.txt when I run it , it creates the file with a trailing question mark -rwx------ 1 tdevoe webapp 59 Jun 7 06:42 ex.sh -rw------- 1 tdevoe webapp 3761 Jun ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: devoetfd
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Procedure to take root back up of a solaris server

Hi, Please tell me the procedure to take root backup of a Solaris server. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on Verifying root's current directory

From a script how would I verify that the current directory (.) is not in root's path. Now when the script is going to be run the auditor wil not be signed in as root, but rather running it via sudo, so I'm thinking the standard $path won't work for that case. Derek:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sport
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question mark in filename

Dear All, I am trying to run some commands and I am getting question mark in filename as output files. Which is not a literal question mark however it is not standard output format for UNIX and it can not print it. The output files are extended with ? For example,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hsmart
2 Replies

5. Solaris

How to bring back/restore root account?

Hi all, I have a problem, when I use script with 'expect', accidentally I was deleted root account by "userdel root". Unfortunately, it works, because no other root user login on it. Solaris document said that root cannot delete root, but in my case it works because it deleted by script, not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: joash
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backwards question mark appearing in FTP'd file

Hi all, I'm trying to FTP what looks like a simple .txt file from my Windows XP desktop to my UNIX server. I've tried using several programs to do this including UltraEdit and FTP Commander. I have tried sending it ascii, binary and even let the program decide. But every time it arrives in UNIX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Korn0474
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to switch back to root from user

Hi, I am new to Solaris and when i am trying to Switch to root login from user, system throws message saying permissions denied... Steps I Followed: Created a user and logged into that user by SU username tried to come back to root but system throws message "permissions denied" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijaySolaris
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk command not working for Question mark (?)

Hi Folks, I am facing an issue with nawk command. The data is as below: ABC0022,BASC,Scene Package,INR,02May17,XXX4266,be?. Hotel,3,AW01,Twin Room,61272,41308,39590,39590,X,X ABC0022,BASC,Scene Package,INR,02May17,XXX4266,be?. Hotel,3,AW02,Twin Room with Balcony,9272,85638,4520,9590,X,X... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kirans.229
1 Replies

9. Solaris

SunOS confusing root directory and user home directory

Hello, I've just started using a Solaris machine with SunOS 5.10. After the machine is turned on, I open a Console window and at the prompt, if I execute a pwd command, it tells me I'm at my home directory (someone configured "myuser" as default user after init). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: egyassun
2 Replies
chroot(2)							   System Calls 							 chroot(2)

NAME
chroot, fchroot - change root directory SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int chroot(const char *path); int fchroot(int fildes); DESCRIPTION
The chroot() and fchroot() functions cause a directory to become the root directory, the starting point for path searches for path names beginning with / (slash). The user's working directory is unaffected by the chroot() and fchroot() functions. The path argument points to a path name naming a directory. The fildes argument to fchroot() is the open file descriptor of the directory which is to become the root. The privilege {PRIV_PROC_CHROOT} must be asserted in the effective set of the process to change the root directory. While it is always pos- sible to change to the system root using the fchroot() function, it is not guaranteed to succeed in any other case, even if fildes is valid in all respects. The ".." entry in the root directory is interpreted to mean the root directory itself. Therefore, ".." cannot be used to access files out- side the subtree rooted at the root directory. Instead, fchroot() can be used to reset the root to a directory that was opened before the root directory was changed. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, 0 is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned, the root directory remains unchanged, and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The chroot() function will fail if: EACCES Search permission is denied for a component of the path prefix of dirname, or search permission is denied for the directory referred to by dirname. EBADF The descriptor is not valid. EFAULT The path argument points to an illegal address. EINVAL The fchroot() function attempted to change to a directory the is not the system root and external circumstances do not allow this. EINTR A signal was caught during the execution of the chroot() function. EIO An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating path. ENAMETOOLONG The length of the path argument exceeds PATH_MAX, or the length of a path component exceeds NAME_MAX while _POSIX_NO_TRUNC is in effect. ENOENT The named directory does not exist or is a null pathname. ENOLINK The path argument points to a remote machine and the link to that machine is no longer active. ENOTDIR Any component of the path name is not a directory. EPERM The {PRIV_PROC_CHROOT} privilege is not asserted in the effective set of the calling process. SEE ALSO
chroot(1M), chdir(2), privileges(5) WARNINGS
The only use of fchroot() that is appropriate is to change back to the system root. SunOS 5.11 20 Jan 2003 chroot(2)