Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Telnet/Rsh
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Telnet/Rsh Post 4707 by DPAI on Monday 30th of July 2001 01:37:31 PM
Old 07-30-2001
Telnet/Rsh

I am having a strange problem...
I am trying to telnet into my Solaris m/c But it gives "Connection Closed "
Same with rlogin and rsh
But I can Login into ftp or do a finger to that m/c.
I have no hosts.allow or hosts.deny entries .
And also have one hostname in my local m/c .
Can anybody help me out with this.
Thanx

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with rsh

I am trying to run a Perl script using rsh. I need to be able to capture the return code value, so the calling script can handle failures properly. I cannot modify the Perl script I need to run because we use it for all of our servers. Does anyone have a suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kscase
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help on rsh

hi friends, i've access to three machines mc1,mc2,mc3,on which i can log in as root. and in order to run a simple command on a remote machine(say remote) on which i cant log in,i use a command as; # rsh remote ls the above runs properly but if i do an ls on following it doesnt work # rsh mc2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mxms755
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Can ftp but not telnet/ssh/rsh

Hi , I have a Solaris 9 machine in which I can ftp but telnet/rsh/ssh is not working, although it was working before. I cannot also log in through the console. I get the banner for telnet but it kicks me out. Any ideas? rte (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
2 Replies

4. Linux

Help in RSH

Hi All, I want to execute a command from my Windows machine to Linux machine. d:> rsh <Linux machine add> -l <user_name> pwd>dir in linux machine users home directory in .rhosts file I entered the windows machine IP address and user name. In linux etc/hosts.equiv file I entered the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rsh

Hi All, I want to execute a command from my Windows machine to Linux machine using RSH only d:> rsh <Linux machine add> -l <user_name> pwd>dir in linux machine users home directory in .rhosts file I entered the windows machine IP address and user name. In linux etc/hosts.equiv file I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Webpage to Telnet via Perl and Expect: Telnet problem?

Somewhat long story: I have a simple Perl CGI script that uses Expect to Telnet to a device and grab some data, and then spits it back to Perl for display on the Webpage. This works for many devices I've tried, but one device just fails, it keeps rejecting the password on this device, only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jondo
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatically login in the telnet from present telnet

Hi, I was writing one script which includes to switch to the another telnet automatically from the present telnet server. I was using rlogin but firstly it takes the same user name of the present telnet and secondly it is prompting for the password. But i want to switch to the another telnet... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference Between Krb5-telnet And Ekrb5-telnet

Hi, I want to know the difference between these two services. Both are under xinetd. Both are used for enabling and disabling Telnet service. So, can somebody please explain me the difference between the two ? Thanks in advance :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
0 Replies

9. AIX

Telnet or rsh takes too much time

telnet or rsh or ftp to an AIX machine takes too much time, like have to wait 3 minutes before the prompt appears. What can I look to troubleshoot this problem thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
4 Replies

10. AIX

RCP slow down and blocks login, telnet, rsh, etc on target server

Hello I have a LPAR AIX 6.1 on Power VM, Vio 2.2.3 and when I execute a rcp to this machine, I cant, simultaneosly, rlogin, telnet, rsh to this same LPARt. This commands stay hanged till the copy end, and Imeddiatlely the comand is executed (rlogin, telnet, rhs, etc). Someone can give me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: artur_dietrich
1 Replies
RSH(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    RSH(1)

NAME
rsh -- remote shell SYNOPSIS
rsh [-46dn] [-l username] [-t timeout] host [command] DESCRIPTION
The rsh utility executes command on host. The rsh utility copies its standard input to the remote command, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error. Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command; rsh normally terminates when the remote command does. The options are as follows: -4 Use IPv4 addresses only. -6 Use IPv6 addresses only. -d Turn on socket debugging (using setsockopt(2)) on the TCP sockets used for communication with the remote host. -l username Allow the remote username to be specified. By default, the remote username is the same as the local username. Authorization is deter- mined as in rlogin(1). -n Redirect input from the special device /dev/null (see the BUGS section of this manual page). -t timeout Allow a timeout to be specified (in seconds). If no data is sent or received in this time, rsh will exit. If no command is specified, you will be logged in on the remote host using rlogin(1). Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted metacharacters are interpreted on the remote machine. For example, the command rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile appends the remote file remotefile to the local file localfile, while rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" other_remotefile appends remotefile to other_remotefile. FILES
/etc/hosts SEE ALSO
rlogin(1), setsockopt(2), rcmd(3), ruserok(3), hosts(5), hosts.equiv(5), rlogind(8), rshd(8) HISTORY
The rsh command appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
If you are using csh(1) and put a rsh in the background without redirecting its input away from the terminal, it will block even if no reads are posted by the remote command. If no input is desired you should redirect the input of rsh to /dev/null using the -n option. You cannot run an interactive command (like ee(1) or vi(1)) using rsh; use rlogin(1) instead. Stop signals stop the local rsh process only; this is arguably wrong, but currently hard to fix for reasons too complicated to explain here. BSD
October 16, 2002 BSD