Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file descriptors
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers file descriptors Post 46830 by a25khan on Tuesday 27th of January 2004 05:01:21 PM
Old 01-27-2004
user oombera,

thanks for your answer,
yeah i see where are we heading from here. when i read it in my text, didn't make any sense. but when you said that "unix reads the files by using their respective numbers(file descriptors)" then i really understood the idea behind this. i have one more question though, what does this have to do with processes!?
a25khan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

File Descriptors

Hi, I have written a daemon process, to perform certain operations in the background. For this I have to close, the open file descriptors, Does anybody know how to find out the number of open file descriptors ? Thanks in Advance, Sheetal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_chordia
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Descriptors

Hello all, A few questions on file descriptors ... scenario : Sun Ultra 30 with Sun OS 5.5.1 , E250 with Solaris 2.6 In one of my servers, the file descriptor status from the soft limit and hard limits are 64 and 1024 respectively for root user. Is the soft limit (64) represents the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shibz
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple co-processor file descriptors

I have a script that creates a KSH co-process for Oracle sqlplus and I am presently interacting with it via print -p and read -p. I also need to interact with another Oracle database what isn't permitted to have any direct connection to the first. Presently, I simply disconnect from the first... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmarikle
10 Replies

4. Programming

Sockets and File descriptors

I am in a Systems programming class this semester, and our current project is to write a program utilizing sockets and fork. For the project, I decided to make my own instant messaging program. I have the code completed, but I have a problem that keeps old clients from communicating with new... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gstlouis
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Descriptors + cron

Hi All, This thread is going to be a discussion basically bringing out more information from the experts on cron jobs and the associated file handles. So, here is the question. There is definitely a constant ' n ' as the maximum number of file handles alloted to a process ' p '. Will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to list the files using File Descriptors

hello, I have written a script named listall.sh with the following codes init. #!/bin/bash PATH="/proj/cmon/$1" echo $PATH if ; then echo "Usage: $0 ***" exit 1 else ls -l $PATH/*.sc fi Here there are 3 subdirectories (namely - src, data and jobs)under /proj/cmon, so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyjuezy
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write/read to file descriptors

Is it possible to write to file descriptor 0 and read from 1 or 2? How could this be implemented? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machshev
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

exec and file descriptors

Hi, I speak and write english more or less, so I hope my asking be clear. :) In the company I am working, they are using control-m software to lunch shell scripts. So i put this command in all shell scripts: export LOGFILE_tmp=$PRODUC_DATA/tmp/${SCRIPT}_${PAIS}_`date... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anamcara
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Semaphores and File Descriptors

What is the difference between a file descriptor and a semaphore? My basic understanding is: - a file descriptor is a small positive integer that the system uses instead of the file name to identify an open file or socket. - a semaphore is a variable with a value that indicates the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mr_Webster
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Questions about file descriptors

Hi, I'm playing with KSH I entered following command in terminal { echo "stdout" >&1; echo "stderr" >&2; } > out And I get only stoud in a new file out. My question is: Where did my stderr vanish ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
5 Replies
PEEKFD(1)							   User Commands							 PEEKFD(1)

NAME
peekfd - peek at file descriptors of running processes SYNOPSIS
peekfd [-8,--eight-bit-clean] [-n,--no-headers] [-f,--follow] [-d,--duplicates-removed] [-V,--version] [-h,--help] pid [fd] [fd] ... DESCRIPTION
peekfd attaches to a running process and intercepts all reads and writes to file descriptors. You can specify the desired file descriptor numbers or dump all of them. OPTIONS
-8 Do no post-processing on the bytes being read or written. -n Do not display headers indicating the source of the bytes dumped. -c Also dump the requested file descriptor activity in any new child processes that are created. -d Remove duplicate read/writes from the output. If you're looking at a tty with echo, you might want this. -v Display a version string. -h Display a help message. FILES
/proc/*/fd Not used but useful for the user to look at to get good file descriptor numbers. ENVIRONMENT
None. DIAGNOSTICS
The following diagnostics may be issued on stderr: Error attaching to pid ... An unknown error occured while attempted to attach to a process.. you may need to be root. BUGS
Probably lots. Don't be surprised if the process you are monitoring dies. AUTHOR
Trent Waddington <trent.waddington@gmail.com> SEE ALSO
ttysnoop(8) Linux APRIL 2007 PEEKFD(1)