Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Xserver won't come up on Solaris 8 Post 46183 by RTM on Friday 9th of January 2004 05:42:26 PM
Old 01-09-2004
From Sunsolve:

After installing Solaris[TM] 2.6 on an Ultra[TM] 10 with an m64 graphics card
and rebooting, the following error message was displayed:

X-server cannot be started on display :0

Trying to start OpenWindows failed with the messages:

9 SUNWxxxxx bad class

instance, line 163 in
/usr/openwin/server/etc/owconfig
Resolution Top

* Check to see what graphics card are installed by using the
following command:

# prtconf -F

* Check the device driver packages for the graphics card.

# pkginfo -l SUNW_package_name

* If possible, get a copy of the /usr/openwin/server/etc/owconfig from
another Ultra 10 with the same graphic card.

The possible error message:

frame buffer , it was not defined in the file.

may be caused by the fact that the /usr/openwin/server/etc/OWconfig file
was copied from another Ultra that did not contain entries for the m64
framebuffer because the Ultra 10 did not have the framebuffer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris (9) won't boot!

Hi, I've just bought an Ultra 60 running solaris 9 (or so I've been led to believe). When I start up, it looks for a (presumably) domain/network to hook up to and the following messages are displayed: Boot device: net file and args: Network link setup failed Please check cable and try... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alarmcall
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Xserver not running in Solaris x86

I have just installed Solaris 10 x86 version on a Compaq Evo desktop station with a Sun 19" SVGA monitor model # CM751U. The desktop has 256MB RAM. The video card is a nVidia Riva TNT2 64. If I do a scanpci command; it returns the card as a nVidia Corporation NV6 (Vanta/Vanta LT) The Xserver... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sjteng
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Xserver

Hi, From my workstation (win XP)I open a telnet session on Linux(Red Hat) server. When I issue : # xclock I have : Error: Can't open display: Then : # export DISPLAY=192.16.1.87:0.0 # xclock Error: Can't open display: 192.16.1.87:0.0 Do you have an idea ? Many thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Xserver

I have problem with my V490 server which running on solaris 8. The error show on log file X_mkdir: nosuch file or directory Fatal server error: Failed to establish all listening sockets error (pid 299): server unexpectedly died error (pid 299): server for display :0 cant be started ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamsul
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 install won't accept IP address

Hi I am trying to debug an issue with an automated install I have set-up. So to start I just ran a simple ok; boot cdrom - install but when it came to the IP address field it would only take the following format 123.123.123.12 and would not let me enter the last digit Anybody got any... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeisken
9 Replies

6. AIX

won't mount /usr...won't boot fully

Hello: NOOB here. I attempted to use smit mkcd. Failed on first attempt, not enough space. 2nd attempt tried to place iso on /usr, not enough space there. Cleanup ran for about 5 minutes after aborting. Now AIX won't boot. LCD display on 7029-6E3 says: 0517 MOUNT /USR. Attempted to boot from CD... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbird
11 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10u7 won't boot after hardware change

Hi all, I've somehow gained the idea that I _need_ to run at least 1 box with Solaris, but things don't go as I had planned :-) I pulled this ancient IBM eserver xseries 305 out of the dust, and got myself a fresh copy of the required cd's for Solaris 10u7. FAIL, for some reason the box and the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr.aart
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 won't boot up "Cannot load drivers for /pci@400.....

This is the error message that I am getting on a Solaris 10 sparc server scsi: no major number cannot load drivers for /pci@400..... Can't load the root filesystem Type 'go' to resume {0} ok Is there a way for me to correct this issue. It looks like I am missing a scsi driver to boot up... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trinityforce
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 11 man pages won't show on CLI

Hello guys, I am a newbie. Just freshly installed Solaris 11. When I try to type for example root@t1000:~# man zpool It says bash: man: command not found. It used to show manual pages before installation. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nazimbilir
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script won't run because hardware won't produce display

Can anyone offer any advice on how to modify the script below to work on a new system we have, that has no graphics capability? We admin the system through a serial RAS device. I've tried running the below script through the RAS and through an ssh -X session. It failed with something like "GTK... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelirt5
3 Replies
ISP(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    ISP(4)

NAME
isp -- Qlogic based SCSI and FibreChannel SCSI Host Adapters SYNOPSIS
isp* at pci? dev? function? (PCI) isp* at sbus? slot ? offset ? (SBus) scsibus* at isp? DESCRIPTION
This driver provides access to SCSI or FibreChannel devices. SCSI features include support for Ultra SCSI and wide mode transactions for SCSI, and LVD (for the ISP1080 and ISP1280), Fibre Channel support uses FCP SCSI profile for FibreChannel. and uses Class 3 connections only. Support is available for Public and Pri- vate loops. Command tagging is supported for all (in fact, FibreChannel requires tagging). CONFIGURATION
An optional flags 0x80 appended to the above isp* declarations will disable the download of driver firmware, which means you use whatever firmware is running on the card. If no firmware is running on the card, the driver cannot operate the card. An optional flags 0x40 appended to the above isp* declarations (can be OR'd in with the other config flags option) will keep the driver from looking at device or bus NVRAM settings (this is in case NVRAM is just wrong and you have the card in a platform where it is inconvenient to change NVRAM settings on the card). HARDWARE
Supported cards include: ISP1000 SBus Fast Wide, Ultra Fast Wide cards, Single Ended or Differential cards. PTI SBS440 Performance Technology ISP1000 variants. ISP1020 Qlogic 1020 Fast Wide and Differential Fast Wide PCI cards. ISP1040 Qlogic 1040 Ultra Wide and Differential Ultra Wide PCI cards. PTI SBS450 Performance Technology ISP1040 variants. Qlogic 1240 Qlogic 1240 Dual Bus Ultra Wide and Differential Ultra Wide PCI cards. Qlogic 1080 Qlogic 1280 LVD Ultra2 Wide PCI cards. Qlogic 1280 Qlogic 1280 Dual Bus LVD Ultra2 Wide PCI cards. Qlogic 2100 Qlogic 2100 and 2100A Copper and Optical Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop Qlogic 2102 Qlogic Dual Loop 2100A Optical Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop PCI cards. Qlogic 2200 Qlogic 2200 Copper and Optical Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop PCI cards. Qlogic 2202 Qlogic 2200 Dual Bus Optical Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop PCI cards. Qlogic 2204 Qlogic 2200 Quad Bus Optical Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop PCI cards. Qlogic 2300 Qlogic 2300 2-Gigabit Optical Fibre Channel PCI cards. Qlogic 2312 Qlogic 2300 2-Gigabit Dual Channel Optical Fibre Channel PCI cards. PTI SBS470 Performance Technology ISP2100 variants. Antares P-0033 Antares Microsystems ISP2100 variants. Qlogic 2400 Qlogic 2400 4-Gigabit Optical Fibre Channel PCI cards. Qlogic 2500 Qlogic 2500 8-Gigabit Optical Fibre Channel PCI cards. SEE ALSO
cd(4), intro(4), scsi(4), sd(4), st(4) AUTHORS
The isp driver was written by Matthew Jacob for NASA/Ames Research Center. BUGS
The driver currently ignores some NVRAM settings. The driver currently doesn't do error recovery for timed out commands very gracefully. Sometimes, when booting, the driver gets stuck waiting for the Fibre Channel firmware to tell it that the loop port database is ready. In this case you'll see an announcement that the loop state has a value of 0x1. To unwedge the system, unplug and replug the fibre channel con- nection, or otherwise cause a LIP (Loop Initialization Primitive sequence) - this will kick the firmware into getting unstuck. BSD
June 24, 2009 BSD