Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Xserver won't come up on Solaris 8 Post 46176 by Gravity on Friday 9th of January 2004 03:33:19 PM
Old 01-09-2004
Xserver won't come up on Solaris 8

Hi all,

My Ultra 10, running Solaris 8, is giving me problems Smilie Currently, whenever it boots, the Xserver will not come up, saying "Xserver cannot be started on display 0".

I thought this might have something to do with OWconfig, and so poked it a little (moving params onto different lines), and so now it kinda gets halfway there... The display flicks between black-on-white console login, and white-on-black with eggtimer as mouse pointer..

Anyone experienced anything like this before, or have any ideas?

Thanks Smilie
Gemma

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris (9) won't boot!

Hi, I've just bought an Ultra 60 running solaris 9 (or so I've been led to believe). When I start up, it looks for a (presumably) domain/network to hook up to and the following messages are displayed: Boot device: net file and args: Network link setup failed Please check cable and try... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alarmcall
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Xserver not running in Solaris x86

I have just installed Solaris 10 x86 version on a Compaq Evo desktop station with a Sun 19" SVGA monitor model # CM751U. The desktop has 256MB RAM. The video card is a nVidia Riva TNT2 64. If I do a scanpci command; it returns the card as a nVidia Corporation NV6 (Vanta/Vanta LT) The Xserver... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sjteng
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Xserver

Hi, From my workstation (win XP)I open a telnet session on Linux(Red Hat) server. When I issue : # xclock I have : Error: Can't open display: Then : # export DISPLAY=192.16.1.87:0.0 # xclock Error: Can't open display: 192.16.1.87:0.0 Do you have an idea ? Many thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Xserver

I have problem with my V490 server which running on solaris 8. The error show on log file X_mkdir: nosuch file or directory Fatal server error: Failed to establish all listening sockets error (pid 299): server unexpectedly died error (pid 299): server for display :0 cant be started ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamsul
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 install won't accept IP address

Hi I am trying to debug an issue with an automated install I have set-up. So to start I just ran a simple ok; boot cdrom - install but when it came to the IP address field it would only take the following format 123.123.123.12 and would not let me enter the last digit Anybody got any... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeisken
9 Replies

6. AIX

won't mount /usr...won't boot fully

Hello: NOOB here. I attempted to use smit mkcd. Failed on first attempt, not enough space. 2nd attempt tried to place iso on /usr, not enough space there. Cleanup ran for about 5 minutes after aborting. Now AIX won't boot. LCD display on 7029-6E3 says: 0517 MOUNT /USR. Attempted to boot from CD... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbird
11 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10u7 won't boot after hardware change

Hi all, I've somehow gained the idea that I _need_ to run at least 1 box with Solaris, but things don't go as I had planned :-) I pulled this ancient IBM eserver xseries 305 out of the dust, and got myself a fresh copy of the required cd's for Solaris 10u7. FAIL, for some reason the box and the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr.aart
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 won't boot up "Cannot load drivers for /pci@400.....

This is the error message that I am getting on a Solaris 10 sparc server scsi: no major number cannot load drivers for /pci@400..... Can't load the root filesystem Type 'go' to resume {0} ok Is there a way for me to correct this issue. It looks like I am missing a scsi driver to boot up... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trinityforce
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 11 man pages won't show on CLI

Hello guys, I am a newbie. Just freshly installed Solaris 11. When I try to type for example root@t1000:~# man zpool It says bash: man: command not found. It used to show manual pages before installation. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nazimbilir
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script won't run because hardware won't produce display

Can anyone offer any advice on how to modify the script below to work on a new system we have, that has no graphics capability? We admin the system through a serial RAS device. I've tried running the below script through the RAS and through an ssh -X session. It failed with something like "GTK... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelirt5
3 Replies
pnmcrop(1)						      General Commands Manual							pnmcrop(1)

NAME
pnmcrop - crop a portable anymap SYNOPSIS
pnmcrop [-white|-black|-sides] [-left] [-right] [-top] [-bottom] [pnmfile] All options may be abbreviated to their shortest unique prefix or specified with double hyphens. DESCRIPTION
Reads a PBM, PGM, or PPM image as input. Removes borders that are the background color, and produces the same type of image as output. If you don't specify otherwise, pnmcrop assumes the background color is whatever color the top left and right corners of the image are and if they are different colors, something midway between them. You can specify that the background is white or black with the -white and -black options or make pnmcrop base its guess on all four corners instead of just two with -sides. By default, pnmcrop chops off any stripe of background color it finds, on all four sides. You can tell pnmcrop to remove only specific borders with the -left, -right, -top, and -bottom options. If you want to chop a specific amount off the side of an image, use pnmcut. If you want to add different borders after removing the existing ones, use pnmcat or pnmcomp. OPTIONS
-white Take white to be the background color. pnmcrop removes borders which are white. -black Take black to be the background color. pnmcrop removes borders which are black. -sides Determine the background color from the colors of the four corners of the input image. pnmcrop removes borders which are of the background color. If at least three of the four corners are the same color, pnmcrop takes that as the background color. If not, pnmcrop looks for two corners of the same color in the following order, taking the first found as the background color: top, left, right, bottom. If all four corners are different colors, pnmcrop assumes an average of the four colors as the background color. The -sides option slows pnmcrop down, as it reads the entire image to determine the background color in addition to the up to three times that it would read it without -sides. -left Remove any left border. -right Remove any right border. -top Remove any top border. -bottom Remove any bottom border. -verbose Print on Standard Error information about the processing, including exactly how much is being cropped off of which sides. SEE ALSO
pnmcut(1), pnmfile(1), pnm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 18 March 2001 pnmcrop(1)