Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX how to start the x window system Post 45174 by denisJ on Tuesday 16th of December 2003 07:29:21 AM
Old 12-16-2003
Xserver

in hpux 11.00 you can use x with CDE or VUE application.
in first verify if the software is installed
swlist -l product
in second time verify the run-level
who -r
in third verify the start of the X server
more /etc/rc.log
ls -l /sbin/rc3.d (by default)
in last verify the name service
nslookup <nameserver>
echo $DISPLAY

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

An X Window System from scratch

I'm currently using Gnome as my desktop environment (DE) but it's going kind of slow. My friend gave me the advice to skip the DE and only use a Window Manager. I took his suggestion one step further and decided to try building an X window system from scrath instead. But what are the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.P
3 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

window 2000 professional not pinging my window 98 system.

Hello, We someone help me resolve this problem. I have window 2000 professional, windows 98 and Unixware 7.0.1 on the network. I was able to establish connection with all. However, l was unable to ping window 98 from window 2000 professional. I was able to ping the window 2000 from the window... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
10 Replies

3. AIX

Q: how to start a service when system start

As topic, assume we have a service called "blahservice" and we can start it by: startsrc -s blahservice what is the best practice to run such command when system start? - directly use mkitab to add it into /etc/inittab or - drop startup scripts in /etc/rc.d/rcX.d I know they... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acerlinux
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What would take the Place of X Window System if X was not installed?

If X was not installed, what would print data onto the display? Does it include applications form Gpl/Gnu or is it a daemon only? Thanks in advance!:wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X Window system - concept

Hi, I am lost in between of some concepts, googling too much made me like this! honestly... please correct my statements below and if they are correct just mention "correct" or also add extra info please: 1. "X Window System" provides basic access to GUI on unix/linux systems This... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: messi777
3 Replies

6. IP Networking

TCP initial congestion window (slow-start)

I have noticed that the initial congestion window in my traces is 8920bytes~=6*1448. rfc3390 states the initial cwand should be max 4000 bytes(around 3*1448). At first i thought it might be because i'm running my server on mac os x, so apple might have modified the tcp stack. Therefore I tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddayan
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

How to start X window?

hi, here is a HP workstation C9000 with HP-UX system in my office. couple days ago we shutdown the system. when trying to turn the it on, the system failed to start X window. my boss ask me fix it, but i am new of unix world. please be kindly to teach me how to get error message and fix... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: ethandaddy
19 Replies

8. AIX

Is XVFB(X window system virtual frame buffer ) open source

I would like to know XVFB is open source or not. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prathap.g
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Which X Window system is installed on my server that would work with Xming?

I would like to use Xming to connect a server and managed to get it to work. I am now trying to get it to connect to a different server but i am not sure which X Window system is installed. I tried it through putty and i get the following error/warning: /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_67/bin> jvisualvm... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziggy25
5 Replies

10. Programming

Configure: error: X Window system libraries and header files are required

I am trying to compile thunar 1.8.4. It is giving me this error. configure: error: X Window system libraries and header files are required Ubuntu Mate 18.04 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
2 Replies
qmail-verify(8)                                                        v1.32                                                       qmail-verify(8)

NAME
qmail-verify - Address verification daemon SYNOPSIS
qmail-verify DESCRIPTION
qmail-verify receives UDP packets containing local email addresses and returns a single byte to indicate if the address is valid or invalid to the sender of the UDP packet. qmail-smtpd or qmail-qmtpd are typical clients using the qmail-verify service, although at present only qmail-smtpd has had this functionality added. qmail-verify is based on Paul Jarc's realrcptto patch for qmail (http://code.dogmap.org/qmail/). qmail-verify uses the files control/locals, control/virtualdomains, users/cdb, the system password file entries (typically in /etc/passwd ) as well as the existence or not of users' home directories and .qmail[-xxx] files to determine if a given address is valid. Where a qmail system uses .qmail-default files on a per-domain basis in a virtual domains setup, this is likely to result in all addresses being considered 'valid'. This may not in fact be the case in certain situations, such as with extensions/adaptations to qmail like vpop- mail which use .qmail-default files throughout (delivery in this case is subsequently handled by a vpopmail component). In these cases a replacement for qmail-verify will be required that can determine address validity. Other customised qmail installations that use different methods to locate users' mailboxes are likely to need alternatives to qmail-verify or a modified version of it for address verification. INVOCATION
qmail-verify should be invoked as user root to have sufficient privileges to determine the validity of a given address. In certain single- UID virtual domains setups, it may be sufficient to run qmail-verify as the single-UID. By default, qmail-verify listens on localhost (127.0.0.1) on port 11113. This behaviour can be changed by setting the environment variable LISTEN to specify the IP address and/or port: Set this to the desired IP address, optionally followed by a colon and port, thus for example LISTEN="192.168.1.1:10101". ADDRESS VERIFICATION DETAILS
qmail-verify is implemented by taking the various pieces of qmail that parse an address and combining them in the same executable, qmail- verify. Thus logic is taken from qmail-send, qmail-lspawn, qmail-getpw and qmail-local. UDP PACKET DETAILS
The incoming packet contains just the email address to be checked as a string. The string is optionally terminated with a 0 byte. The response packet contains a single byte to indicate whether the address is valid. The lowest-order bit of this byte indicates the result: 0 for 'valid', 1 for 'invalid'. Other bits of this response byte are set by qmail-verify to give further debugging information; these other bits should generally be disregarded. Although not especially designed as a new protocol, extensions to qmail-verify could require the query string to be 0 terminated to sepa- rate it from other data to follow. Currently the response packet contains the response byte and the 'Controlling user'; more information could potentially be returned if required. CONTROL FILES
At startup qmail-verify reads the following qmail control files: control/envnoathost, control/locals, control/percenthack, control/virtual- domains. If changes are made to any of these files, qmail-verify should be restarted for the changes to take effect in qmail-verify. If you are using different machines for qmail-verify and qmail-smtpd you should ensure that the machine providing the qmail-verify service has a full set of control files as well as the mailboxes; the machine running qmail-smtpd still needs control/rcpthosts to be setup. LOGGING
qmail-verify logs each decision it makes to stderr: The address followed by whether it's valid or not. AUTHOR
Andrew Richards, building on the work of Paul Jarc and Dan Bernstein, and with plenty of help along the way from Russell Nelson, John Levine and Charles Cazabon amongst others. SEE ALSO
qmail-smtpd(8). 28th August 2009 Andrew Richards qmail-verify(8)