Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Accessing files/folders with spaces Post 44886 by RTM on Thursday 11th of December 2003 09:28:36 PM
Old 12-11-2003
By quoting the directory, you could change directory into it.

$ cd "My Name"

If it's the only directory/file that starts with My

$ cd My*

Or by using the following on each space in the name

$ cd My\ Name

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing Files on another drive

Hey..alright heres the deal I'm going to do a triple boot if you would Win98SE, Win2K, and Redhat Linux 7.1 now I have two HDs each with 30 gigs i've allowed one HD to the OS's with 10 gigs each...the third I intend to be one for windows to pull things thats compliant with both 98 and 2k and store... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PravusMentis
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing files on unix share from xp?

Sorry if the is in the wrong section, but would like to know if anyone can help with the following I am on a network using Windows XP and am having problems viewing/manipulating files on one of the shared drives, which happens to be a snap server. I have no other problems with any of the other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrB
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing files with perl

Hello i am new to Perl and i have a question. I am trying to read a file that has the following format: 14/4/2008 8:42:03 πμ|10800|306973223399|4917622951117|1||1259|1|126|492|433||19774859454$ 14/4/2008 9:13:08 πμ|10800|306973223399|306970097423|1||1264|1|126|492|878||19774859762$... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find folders with spaces and end of files and directories

Hi I need a script that can search through a set of directories and can locate any file or directory that has a space at the end Filename(space) Foldername(space) I then need to remove that space within the script Hope someone can help thanks in advance Treds (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 folders to find several missing files among huge amounts of files.

Hi, all: I've got two folders, say, "folder1" and "folder2". Under each, there are thousands of files. It's quite obvious that there are some files missing in each. I just would like to find them. I believe this can be done by "diff" command. However, if I change the above question a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for folders/parent folders not files.

Hello again, A little while back I got help with creating a command to search all directories and sub directories for files from daystart of day x. I'm wondering if there is a command that I've overlooked that may be able to search for / write folder names to an output file which ideally... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

List all the files in the present path and Folders and subfolders files also

Hi, I need a script/command to list out all the files in current path and also the files in folder and subfolders. Ex: My files are like below $ ls -lrt total 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 abc users 419 May 25 10:27 abcd.xml drwxr-xr-x 3 abc users 4096 May 25 10:28 TEST $ Under TEST, there are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: divya bandipotu
2 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Remove leading spaces from file names and folders

Hi All, I have a vexing issue with leading spaces in file names. Basically, we're moving tons of data from our ancient afp file share to Box.com and Box forbids leading spaces in files or folders. The HFS file system seems to be perfectly fine with this, but almost all other Unix file systems... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prometheon123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing files in batch

hai, I have a list of files having extension .sy in a folder. I want to find such files and print the first two columns of the files to new extension .tmp (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreejithalokkan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy files/folders and show the files/folders?

Hi, So i know we use cp -r as a basic to copy folders/files. I would like this BUT i would like to show the output of the files being copied. With the amazing knowledge i have i have gone as far as this: 1) find source/* -exec cp -r {} target/ \; 2) for ObjectToBeCopied in `find... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imre
6 Replies
REALPATH(3)								 1							       REALPATH(3)

realpath - Returns canonicalized absolute pathname

SYNOPSIS
string realpath (string $path) DESCRIPTION
realpath(3) expands all symbolic links and resolves references to '/./', '/../' and extra '/' characters in the input $path and returns the canonicalized absolute pathname. PARAMETERS
o $path - The path being checked. Note Whilst a path must be supplied, the value can be blank or NULL In these cases, the value is interpreted as the current directory. RETURN VALUES
Returns the canonicalized absolute pathname on success. The resulting path will have no symbolic link, '/./' or '/../' components. realpath(3) returns FALSE on failure, e.g. if the file does not exist. Note The running script must have executable permissions on all directories in the hierarchy, otherwise realpath(3) will return FALSE. Note Because PHP's integer type is signed and many platforms use 32bit integers, some filesystem functions may return unexpected results for files which are larger than 2GB. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | Prior to this release, if only the last $path | | | component did not exist, realpath(3) would not | | | fail on *BSD systems. realpath(3) now fails in | | | this case. | | | | | 5.2.1 | | | | | | | Prior to this version, realpath(3) returned | | | FALSE if $path is an empty string or NULL. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 realpath(3) example <?php chdir('/var/www/'); echo realpath('./../../etc/passwd'); ?> The above example will output: /etc/passwd Example #2 realpath(3) on Windows On windows realpath(3) will change unix style paths to windows style. <?php echo realpath('/windows/system32'); ?> The above example will output: C:WINDOWSSystem32 SEE ALSO
basename(3), dirname(3), pathinfo(3). PHP Documentation Group REALPATH(3)