Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: gzip
Operating Systems SCO gzip Post 44057 by mfran2002 on Friday 28th of November 2003 10:32:21 AM
Old 11-28-2003
Computer gzip

ciao a tutti,
premesso che sono un principiante di unix, avrei bisogno di gzip/gunzip e SOPRATTUTTO delle istruzioni (ahimè dettagliatissime, come per un bimbo!) per installarlo...

grazie mille,
ciao

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

using gzip

Hi, I am trying to unzip a file that I unmounted onto a unix machine from a cd I had burned in a Windows machine. The file I am trying to unzip is a .tar file... it was originally a .tar.gz file because it was zipped using gzip. I have tried: % gzip -d hpux.tar (where hpux.tar is the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nattie_h
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GZIP help, please!

Gurus, My own stupidity (or ignorance...or both) put me in the situation I am in and I need help please: 1-My shell account (OS: HP UX v11) contains several work directories (/docs, /scripts...) 2-Our sysadmin has implemented aggressive disk quotas so I have to compress the files I put here... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gzip

Hi All, I have some files which are 01.tar.gz, 02.tar.gz,03.tar.gz ........30.tar.gz. when I want to extract the files I 'm using this command "gzip -dc *.tar.gz | tar -xvf -" but it just uncompress 01.tar.gz how can I uncompress all of them ? thanx alice (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisevA3
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip with timestamp

Hi all, I have a file(Say x) and need to zip using gzip with the date&Timestamp(Something like x01012007.......) . Can you please tell me the command. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijju.mathew
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gzip help

Hi Experts!! I was creating a zip file in a server which had zip installed in it. I have another server in which zip is not there and i am instructed to make use of gzip to compress files. I would need your help to know the way to create a gzip file. 1) I do the following to create the zip... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzip

Hi, I want to gzip files in loop. for i in `ls *.xml`; do gzip $i; done But i am gettin error like "/usr/bin/ls: Arg list too long" Also please tell me how to do it with while loop and also using find and then exec. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushar_tus
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with GZIP

Hi Gurus, I have a requirement to zip a file using gzip and ftp it to target server. I am using a gzip script as below. gzip.sh #!/bin/ksh /usr/bin/gzip -9 $1 Filename for gzip.sh is passed by an application program. so the output for ./gzip.sh Test_YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.txt (file name is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PRVARMA
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzip

how to zip all log file in a folder expect the latest gzip * ---> will zip all log files but I don't want the latest file to be zipped ex: file1, file2, file3, file4, file5 any single command to gzip all files excpet file5 ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmann
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gzip

if ;then echo "mrnet greater 5000" gzip /var/log/mrnet.log /var/log/mrnet.log.1.gz fi i'm looking if mrnet.log is bigger then 5000 then compress mrnet.log to mrnet.log.1.gz but it won't compress. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Froob
3 Replies
gzip(3) 						User Contributed Perl Documentation						   gzip(3)

NAME
PerlIO::gzip - Perl extension to provide a PerlIO layer to gzip/gunzip SYNOPSIS
use PerlIO::gzip; open FOO, "<:gzip", "file.gz" or die $!; print while <FOO>; # And it will be uncompressed... binmode FOO, ":gzip(none)" # Starts reading deflate stream from here on DESCRIPTION
PerlIO::gzip provides a PerlIO layer that manipulates files in the format used by the "gzip" program. Compression and Decompression are implemented, but not together. If you attempt to open a file for reading and writing the open will fail. EXPORT
PerlIO::gzip exports no subroutines or symbols, just a perl layer "gzip" LAYER ARGUMENTS
The "gzip" layer takes a comma separated list of arguments. 4 exclusive options choose the header checking mode: gzip The default. Expects a standard gzip file header for reading, writes a standard gzip file header. none Expects or writes no file header; assumes the file handle is immediately a deflate stream (eg as would be found inside a "zip" file) auto Potentially dangerous. If the first two bytes match the "gzip" header "x1fx8b" then a gzip header is assumed (and checked) else a deflate stream is assumed. No different from gzip on writing. autopop Potentially dangerous. If the first two bytes match the "gzip" header "x1fx8b" then a gzip header is assumed (and checked) else the layer is silently popped. This results in gzip files being transparently decompressed, other files being treated normally. Of course, this has sides effects such as File::Copy becoming gunzip, and File::Compare comparing the uncompressed contents of files. In autopop mode Opening a handle for writing (or reading and writing) will cause the gzip layer to automatically be popped. Optionally you can add this flag: lazy For reading, defer header checking until the first read. For writing, don't write a header until the first buffer empty of compressed data to disk. (and don't write anything at all if no data was written to the handle) By default, gzip header checking is done before the "open" (or "binmode") returns, so if an error is detected in the gzip header the "open" or "binmode" will fail. However, this will require reading some data, or writing a header. With lazy set on a file opened for reading the check is deferred until the first read so the "open" should always succeed, but any problems with the header will cause an error on read. open FOO, "<:gzip(lazy)", "file.gz" or die $!; # Dangerous. while (<FOO>) { print; } # Whoa. Bad. You're not distinguishing between errors and EOF. If you're not careful you won't spot the errors - like the example above you'll think you got end of file. lazy is ignored if you are in autopop mode. AUTHOR
Nicholas Clark, <nwc10+perlio-gzip@colon.colondot.net> SEE ALSO
perl, gzip, rfc 1952 <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1952.txt> (the gzip file format specification), rfc 1951 <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1951.txt> (DEFLATE compressed data format specification) perl v5.16.2 2006-10-01 gzip(3)