Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: two commands on 1 line
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users two commands on 1 line Post 43676 by el_soldado on Thursday 20th of November 2003 08:06:29 PM
Old 11-20-2003
two commands on 1 line

wuts the command that allows u to use 2 commands on one line?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commands and Command Line Flags

Hello I'm very new to unix, am learning it as part of my new job. I have a book which has a list in the back, of a number of commands and their command line flags, detailing what these flags are used for. I've been looking everywhere for an electronic copy of this type of list, so I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kedgeboy
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Seperate commands on the same line

hello, is there a way to seperate commands that are on the same line? ie: echo "yes count(*)>0:" $passvar > dsp cat dsp cat dsp > log i'm trying to put these 3 commands on the same line, but when i do they all get concatenated into 1 lieteral if i put the cat commands on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobk544
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get nth line from a file usuing commands

Hi to all, I have a file with 1000 lines,Now i need to get 789th record.So please any one help me out from this. Thanks in advance. Sathish (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsathishmca
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix commands in one line

Hi I want to write the following code in 1 line: a=1 if then echo ok else echo not ok fi The following does not work: a=1 ; if \r then \r echo ok \r else \r echo not ok \r fi or Even if I replace \r by \n it does not work. Please suggest. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltonkeynesguy
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running two commands in one line

hi! how do i run 2 command from the same line e.g: 'which screen' and then ls -la 'which screen' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdns
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting multiple sed commands on a single line

Hi, I want to make sed write a part of fileA (first 7 lines) to file1 and the rest of fileA to file2 in a single call and single line in sed. If I do the following: sed '1,7w file1; 8,$w file2' fileA I get only one file named file1 plus all the characters following file1. If I try to use curly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: varelg
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you use UNIX commands in the Windows Command Line?

I tried opening the windows command line and typing UNIX commands, but they don't work. It kept saying that it was not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Removed strange sentence with even stranger link I need to use UNIX commands such as 'less',... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlay2
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple Commands on a Single Line

Hi There, I have a cronjob that executes a small script (few lines) that I am certain can be achieved in a single line. The functional objective is actually really simple; cmd var1 The '1' in 'var1' is actually derived from date (day of month) but the snag is when working with 1-9 I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Random79
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading ls -l output line by line awk the user name and su user to run commands

Using ksh on AIX what I am trying to do is to read the ls -l output from a file in a do while loop line by line. Extract the user name(3rd field) and the directory/file name(9th field) using awk and save them into variables. su -c to the user and change directory/file permisions to 777. Script I... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: zubairom
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh - how to combine multiple commands in one line

Hey everyone, I am working in an environment where the different users can use ksh or csh. My situation is that I need the same result with one single command line. I am searching for the real path the file is in. My ksh input and output ts2:ts2adm> cd $(dirname $(which sapcontrol)); pwd -P... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h1kelds
2 Replies
PHONE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  PHONE(1)

NAME
phone - Phone utility for DECnet SYNOPSIS
phone [options] Options: [-vVh] [-s switchhook char] [initial command] DESCRIPTION
phone is a program that allows the user to communicate interactively with users on VMS systems. Two user interfaces are available: X-Win- dows (GTK+) and terminal (ncurses). If X-Windows is available and compiled into phone then it will be used unless the -n flag is present on the command line. After entering the phone command you will be presented with the phone screen which has windows for the chat and a command-line at the top. If you are not talking to another user then you can enter commands directly, otherwise you will need to precede commands with the 'switch hook' character, which defaults to the percent sign (%). You can also enter a command for phone on the shell command-line. This command will be executed when phone starts up. This makes it conve- nient to enter commands such as: 'phone answer' or 'phone marsha::chrissie' In command mode phone understands several commands: DIAL <node::user> Call a user ANSWER Answer an incoming call REJECT Reject an incoming call EXIT or QUIT Return the the command prompt HOLD Hold all callers UNHOLD Unhold callers HANGUP Hangup the phone DIR <node> Show users logged into <node> FACSIMILE <file> Send <file> HELP Show this help All commands (apart from QUIT and EXIT) can be abbreviated to 3 characters and all (really all this time) commands are case insensitive. OPTIONS
-h -? Displays help for using the command. -V Show the version of phone. -s Set the switch hook character. This is the character used to switch from talking to another user and entering PHONE commands when using the terminal interface.x -n Disables use of the X-windows user interface. Use this to run phone in an xterm. SEE ALSO
phoned(8) DECnet utilities March 26 1999 PHONE(1)