Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Alias confusion - multiple commands ? Post 43421 by Perderabo on Monday 17th of November 2003 11:01:13 AM
Old 11-17-2003
Depends on the shell. With ksh, no you can't. You're supposed to use a function instead.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

1 alias 2 commands 1 argument

Hi, i want make 1 alias with two commands include to do two things at the same time like this: ex: do finger and last at the same time with only one word finla or something. Thanks.- /home/seba > finger dustin Login name: dustin In real life: Dustin Feldman Directory:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seba
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias commands

how do you alias a command... Like say I wanted kitten to exicute the command whoami. how would I do that? Thank you for your time. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mars8082686
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create multiple word alias

Hi, I have created a script which will move the file passed as $1 to a particular folder. In the .profile of my unix user i have created an alias as alias rm="$HOME/script" Now i want that to do alias rm="$HOME/script" alias \rm="$HOME/script" alias \rm -rf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: glamo_2312
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make delays between multiple commands in an alias (ircII)?

Okay so I have an alias that looks like this: ALIAS gscn { MSG gscn Test1 MSG gscn Test2 MSG gscn Test3 MSG gscn Test4 MSG gscn Test5 } How do I make it wait 5 seconds between each command before it executes the next one after that in order from top to bottom? I tried the TIMER... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Help with executing multiple remote commands after multiple hops

Hi SSHers, I have embedded this below code in my shell script.. /usr/bin/ssh -t $USER@$SERVER1 /usr/bin/ssh $USER2@S$SERVER2 echo uptime:`/opt/OV/bin/snmpget -r 0 -t 60 $nodeName system.3.0 | cut -d: -f3-5` SSH to both these servers are public-key authenticated, so things run... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxUser2008
13 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing arguments to alias with multiple commands

I have a few aliases set up on AIX servers in my .kshrc file. Some of them contain multiple commands that are piped together. A simple example would be something like this: # alias to list directory contents as root and sort by size. alias lss='sudo ls -l | sort -nbk5' When I call... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: derndingle
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias commands

Is there a way to create alias for commands and store then in a location where a certain group can run them. I also want anybody in that group to be able to add alias. I don't want them to access the /etc/environment or /etc/profile files to do so. If there needs to be a line added in either of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perform 3 awk commands to multiple files in multiple directories

Hi, I have a directory /home/datasets/ which contains a bunch (720) of subdirectories called hour_1/ hour_2/ etc..etc.. in each of these there is a single text file called (hour_1.txt in hour_1/ , hour_2.txt for hour_2/ etc..etc..) and i would like to do some text processing in them. Each of... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
20 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pass Multiple Commands and Open Multiple Xterms via PSS

Hello, I'm attempting to open multiple xterms and run a command as an SAP user via sudo using PSSH. So far, I'm able to run PSSH to a file of servers with no check for keys, open every xterm in to the servers in the file list, and SUDO to the SAP(ADM) user, but it won't do anything else... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: icemanj
11 Replies
suspend(1)							   User Commands							suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)