Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers network address and broadcast address? Post 43065 by pnxi on Monday 10th of November 2003 08:25:54 PM
Old 11-10-2003
MySQL thanx again

a ha, I see, thanx for clearify that, I have another little be query,
Quote:
This results in a string of 1's followed by a string of 0's. That will always be the case. Where we have 1's, the bits are the network number. Where we have 0's the bits are the host number.
how about the case, 11111111.11111111.11111111.11010100, so the rule for that is wether we count from the first left most 0 bit
or how many 0 bits or the position of 0 bits for the host number?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

broadcast address

What is the significance of the broadcast address? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. Solaris

bge card and broadcast address

I have a bge1 card and a bge0 card, i want the broadcast addresses to match, ifconfig shows this lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000 bge0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaunders
1 Replies

3. AIX

NETWORK IP ADDRESS on HACMP

Hi, I try to understand how to configure my ethernet network in a hacmp cluster. I have 2 nodes, 3 lan port on each node, and 1 service ip to cluster. I don't have any serial o iscsi heartbeat. Do you suggest me a possibile ip address configuration? I've many error whene I verify it from hacmp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hacmp
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

network and broadcast address

Hi Suppose You have two computers. One named kenny which has an IP address of 192.168.0.7. kenny lives on a subnet with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.240. The second computer is called zathras, which has an IP address of 192.168.0.17, zathras lives on a network with the same subnet mask. i)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scofiled83
4 Replies

5. Solaris

ifconfig - making netmask & broadcast address permanent?

hi, I am trying to configure one of my interfaces, but after reboot - i lose the changes to the netmask & broadcast address. I have added an entry in /etc/netmasks, but it doesnt pick up the new settings. any ideas - much appreciated. before reboot: eri0:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Panic kernal-mode address fault on user address 0x14

:) Firstly Hi all!!, im NEW!! and on here hoping that someone might be able to offer me some help... i have a server that keeps crashing every few days with the error message: PANIC KERNAL-MODE ADDRESS FAULT ON USER ADDRESS 0X14 KERNAL PAGE FAULT FROM (CS:EIP)=(100:EF71B5BD) EAX=EF822000... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twix
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fake network address....

Good morning! Why would having a fake network device be useful? Thanks in advance Bigben (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to give broadcast and network address

Hello, I am running a post script in autoyast where I am trying to set the broadcast and network address. I have the ip address and netmask already (reading from a file).. I saw the post from fpmurphy but it is using ksh which isn't an option in autoyast. Thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bloodclot
3 Replies

9. IP Networking

Network address translation

How would one approach the problem of determining the NAT tables of a router without knowing the userid and password. The only password holder died. I know the internal ip address of the router is 192.168.2.1, and also ports 80 or 8080 and 3389 are open. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

C program to detect duplicate ip address if any after assigning ip address to ethernet interface

Hi , Could someone let me know how to detect duplicate ip address after assigning ip address to ethernet interface using c program (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
3 Replies
INET_NET(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					       INET_NET(3)

NAME
inet_net_ntop, inet_net_pton -- Internet network number manipulation routines LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <netinet/in.h> #include <arpa/inet.h> char * inet_net_ntop(int af, const void *src, int bits, char *dst, size_t size); int inet_net_pton(int af, const char *src, void *dst, size_t size); DESCRIPTION
The inet_net_ntop() function converts an Internet network number from network format (usually a struct in_addr or some other binary form, in network byte order) to CIDR presentation format (suitable for external display purposes). The bits argument is the number of bits in src that are the network number. It returns NULL if a system error occurs (in which case, errno will have been set), or it returns a pointer to the destination string. The inet_net_pton() function converts a presentation format Internet network number (that is, printable form as held in a character string) to network format (usually a struct in_addr or some other internal binary representation, in network byte order). It returns the number of bits (either computed based on the class, or specified with /CIDR), or -1 if a failure occurred (in which case errno will have been set. It will be set to ENOENT if the Internet network number was not valid). The currently supported values for af are AF_INET and AF_INET6. The size argument is the size of the result buffer dst. NETWORK NUMBERS (IP VERSION 4) Internet network numbers may be specified in one of the following forms: a.b.c.d/bits a.b.c.d a.b.c a.b a When four parts are specified, each is interpreted as a byte of data and assigned, from left to right, to the four bytes of an Internet net- work number. Note that when an Internet network number is viewed as a 32-bit integer quantity on a system that uses little-endian byte order (such as the Intel 386, 486, and Pentium processors) the bytes referred to above appear as ``d.c.b.a''. That is, little-endian bytes are ordered from right to left. When a three part number is specified, the last part is interpreted as a 16-bit quantity and placed in the rightmost two bytes of the Inter- net network number. This makes the three part number format convenient for specifying Class B network numbers as ``128.net.host''. When a two part number is supplied, the last part is interpreted as a 24-bit quantity and placed in the rightmost three bytes of the Internet network number. This makes the two part number format convenient for specifying Class A network numbers as ``net.host''. When only one part is given, the value is stored directly in the Internet network number without any byte rearrangement. All numbers supplied as ``parts'' in a '.' notation may be decimal, octal, or hexadecimal, as specified in the C language (i.e., a leading 0x or 0X implies hexadecimal; otherwise, a leading 0 implies octal; otherwise, the number is interpreted as decimal). SEE ALSO
byteorder(3), inet(3), networks(5) HISTORY
The inet_net_ntop() and inet_net_pton() functions appeared in BIND 4.9.4. BSD
February 26, 2006 BSD