Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX emulators
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers UNIX emulators Post 41053 by norsk hedensk on Sunday 28th of September 2003 08:12:48 PM
Old 09-28-2003
well, here is a good one:
cygwin (search google)

it is not so much an emulator, but actually a posix unix layer between the win32 kernel. but many software that runs on linux is available to run on cygwin.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows UNIX emulators?

Is there some way I could run UNIX in a window by itself on a Win2K PC? I have to use this PC at work, and I'd like to run UNIX in the background, so I can learn the system during the inevitable lulls (my job is boring as hell). Any help would be appreciated...thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: liquidcross
7 Replies

2. Solaris

Sun OS 3 Emulators?

Hi all, I guess I'm going to get lots of annoyed people asking about windows on a unix forum but here goes. I have a win XP machine and need to run some sofware that was written on and compiled on a sun os 3 machine. Does anyone know of any emulators that will run in the windows enviromment to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: northernalex
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

any emulators

iam new to unix , i would like to practice unix commands at home, can anyone help me to know if there are any emulators that i can download to practice or any trial versions that can be installed to practice. Regards dep (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dep
1 Replies

4. Solaris

8&16bit emulators

Hi to everybody!! Being an Amiga junkie for almost 20 years, I recently decided to start learning a couple of thing about UNIX. My first hardware choice was a Sun U10 and than a U60! Have managed so far to set up the machines to work well with Solaris9, they really are very good but I miss my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokkiklhs
0 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows Terminal Emulators

I have been using NetTerm on various Windows flavors for a while and have just run into a problem with printer passthru (transparent printing) that I can analyse but not resolve. The setup is a Epson TM60 POS Label Printer connected XON/XOFF via COM1 on a Win98SE system. This is controlled... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MickZA
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for Unix Emulators on Windows XP

Hello all, Forgive me if this question was asked before, I'm unable to find an answer to it on this forum upon searching "windows unix". I have Windows XP at home, and I want to practice Unix, I want to re-learn all Unix commands, Shell script programming and the Vi Editor. I'm looking... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: thoughts
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Advanced info on CPU Emulators

I have searched and searched this topic but without looking at source code ; my next step maybe , I find the same ambiguous information. My main question is how is the target code translated? It is stated that there are variables created that hold the data that the emulated CPU would hold in... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Transfer from Window server to UNIX and UNIX to UNIX

Dear All, Can someone help to command or program to transfer the file from windows to Unix server and from one unix server to another Unix server in secure way. I would request no samba client. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
4 Replies
PTS(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    PTS(4)

NAME
ptmx, pts - pseudoterminal master and slave DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/ptmx is a character file with major number 5 and minor number 2, usually of mode 0666 and owner.group of root.root. It is used to create a pseudoterminal master and slave pair. When a process opens /dev/ptmx, it gets a file descriptor for a pseudoterminal master (PTM), and a pseudoterminal slave (PTS) device is created in the /dev/pts directory. Each file descriptor obtained by opening /dev/ptmx is an independent PTM with its own associated PTS, whose path can be found by passing the descriptor to ptsname(3). Before opening the pseudoterminal slave, you must pass the master's file descriptor to grantpt(3) and unlockpt(3). Once both the pseudoterminal master and slave are open, the slave provides processes with an interface that is identical to that of a real terminal. Data written to the slave is presented on the master descriptor as input. Data written to the master is presented to the slave as input. In practice, pseudoterminals are used for implementing terminal emulators such as xterm(1), in which data read from the pseudoterminal mas- ter is interpreted by the application in the same way a real terminal would interpret the data, and for implementing remote-login programs such as sshd(8), in which data read from the pseudoterminal master is sent across the network to a client program that is connected to a terminal or terminal emulator. Pseudoterminals can also be used to send input to programs that normally refuse to read input from pipes (such as su(1), and passwd(1)). FILES
/dev/ptmx, /dev/pts/* NOTES
The Linux support for the above (known as UNIX 98 pseudoterminal naming) is done using the devpts file system, that should be mounted on /dev/pts. Before this UNIX 98 scheme, master pseudoterminals were called /dev/ptyp0, ... and slave pseudoterminals /dev/ttyp0, ... and one needed lots of preallocated device nodes. SEE ALSO
getpt(3), grantpt(3), ptsname(3), unlockpt(3), pty(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2002-10-09 PTS(4)